• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Urban Terror and popularity Rate Topic: -----

#91 User is offline   Snowball Icon

•   verified donor   
  • Account: snowball

Posted 29 March 2018 - 09:08 AM

I have to say that Urban Terror is still a lot more fun than a good looking Counter Strike for example. I am in Thailand and have a little problem to find a lot of servers wich suit my ping, so sometimes I play Counter Strike. It has better visuals but the movement is just so slow and you have to buy new gear each round wich I found annoying. Urban Terror is much more fun with jumping and sliding and you can just stick to your gear.

#92 User is offline   don Icon

• Account: don
  • Main tag: GlaD-

Posted 30 March 2018 - 06:10 AM

Drunk post. Apologies. No idea why I’m here.

UrT has been declining since like 2004 or even earlier. Every big release temporarily bumps the numbers, but it’s like giving a dying man a shot of epinephrine. I don’t think there is anything wrong with a game running its course and slowly dying. Trying to pinpoint exact reasons is a fool’s errand. I agree with Delerius that sliding and wall jumping and all that stuff ruined the purity of the game, but I’m not sure how much of that is because I have a huge respect for what an amazing player Del was and how much is because I also feel the same lol.

I have the impression that people who have a successful product (UrT was successful for a mod—very successful; how many other Q3 mods did people play?) try and fail to keep that success going. Truthfully, they probably don’t understand themselves why they were successful and either ham-handedly try to repeat that success or convince themselves they’re some genius auteur and their fans will lap up any new thing as manna from heaven (power sliding?! **** yeah!). In some parallel universe, we could see that UrT unaltered from its 2.4 apex would be just as dead as 4.whatever and, simultaneously, have just as storied a history as our UrT 4.whatever. In other words, nothing the devs did particularly hurried or delayed the inevitable decline of UrT. The community flourished in spite of the changes. Before I come off as sounding too negative re: the efforts of all the SID/FS staff, do note I played a *lot* of UrT!

The community is what sustained this game. The community slowly died off. I think it’s largely a factor of demographics. The mainstay of the 2.x era largely aged out of giving a **** and were replaced by all of us who were in our early teens at that time. We later aged out/got too busy. As a function of the game’s age, there wasn’t enough new blood to replace us. I’d say a good 80% of the people who made up the competitive community when I was most active were right around my age.

My 2 cents or so.
GlaD-don
Past teams:
Partners in Terror | The Dark | Team Terror | Noobs Gone Wild | Xor | Blight Gaming | Area 51 Gaming | Team Lzuruha | Besserman6 | Console | No Care Bears | Zing | Pro5 | American Idols | Team Canada | No Defiance | Unlimited Gaming
<3 to the people who built and sustained the North American competitive community over the years. xil, r, vex, icu, bos, .e, '`|v|~, iF, -x-, ill, un, xor, glad & all the rest. thanks for the games

#93 User is offline   cyrus Icon

• Account: cyrus
  • Main tag: [PCC]

Posted 30 March 2018 - 02:40 PM

I dunno... This is still the only game I play. It is an old game built on an old engine and, hell, I'm old. As in old dogs and new tricks. I don't see myself stopping until there is no one else playing. I know the community is reduced in size, but I don't worry about it because I'm still having fun. If you have fun playing, others will too and that's what will keep this alive. I'm not a competitive player. I play for sheer enjoyment. If the game dies out, I'll find something else. But until then, I'll play. I suggest y'all do the same rather than sitting around here worrying about it. In fact, the idea that gets posted that this game is on its way out is probably the thing that stops most would-be newcomers from giving it a go! I mean, why bother?
So, if you're wanting the game to stick around, go play! Bring your best game to your favorite server(s) and be there to support the new players and give them some one besides bots to play. Even a few populated servers will attract some pretty good fun and that's what its all about. That's your best solution, in my opinion.
Disorder... Chaos... Anarchy... Now THAT's fun!

#94 User is offline   Snowball Icon

•   verified donor   
  • Account: snowball

Posted 30 March 2018 - 05:40 PM

Well said cyrus, just play the game... complaining ain't bringing the game any further.

This post has been edited by snowzz: 30 March 2018 - 06:22 PM

#95 User is offline   Dre Icon

• Account: dre

Posted 01 April 2018 - 07:19 PM

At work sometimes when I tell colleagues about how much I like UrT their reaction is mostly "that's ugly", or "why do you play such an old game?" or something of the sort. A lot of people are caught up on the "must be a new or screenshot generator game or it must suck" mentality.

It would be really interesting to measure how much fun gamers had/have when playing something like sonic in a mega drive or the first doom and then the same but for the evolution of those games with just better graphics. I'm pretty sure the difference would be negligible.

This post has been edited by Dre: 01 April 2018 - 07:20 PM

bullet_loaderAdvertisement
  • (10 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942