• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

ubuntu vs. kubuntu Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 15 April 2005 - 05:28 PM

One question, I need some help with my file settings... I can write to my configs, so nothing is saved. Please help this Linux'Newby and tell me how to fix this? I'd appreciate it!

I guess you meant you can't write to them? anyway.

that's part of it:

I'm listing the file autoexec.cfg with the "-l" switch to show more info:
$ ls -l autoexec.cfg

It returns:
$ -rwxr-xr-x 1 fs fs 728 2005-04-01 17:38 autoexec.cfg

that means the file autoexec.cfg is owned by fs and the fs group and its permissions are -rwxr-xr-x or in three parts"-rwx"(read-write-execute by the user) "r-x"(read-execute by the group) "r-x"(read-execute by everyone else).

If I'm not "fs" I can't write to it. So, to write to it without changing the permissions I can change the owner to fs with "chown fs autoexec.cfg", to change both the group and owner to fs, "chown fs:fs autoexec.cfg". If I can't do that I can become root and do it with "su"(to become root) or "sudo command"(to run a command with root priviledges) (I've heard ubuntu doesn't have a root user so sudo must be used, not sure).

To change the permissions to -rwxr-xr-x fast, I can do "chmod 755 file".

"chmod 777 file"(or whatever-whatever-7) is supposed to give access to everyone to read-write-execute the file, but that should better not be used unless for temporary files.

ps. The quake3 config user files are in /home/"your-user"/.q3a and the urban terror config files in /home/"your-user"/.q3a/q3ut3 In that location is the "pb" folder as well where the pbweb program can be run. In other words you usually shouldn't touch the quake3/q3ut3 directory in /usr unless for updating the programs or adding new maps. The home directory is usually writable by the user that owns it (obviously).

#12 User is offline   FragginNewby (old) Icon

• LocationKilladelphia, PA

Posted 16 April 2005 - 05:28 AM

OK, I got the permissions and everything right now, so I can play urbanterror and vanilla quake (like I really want to... lol). However, I cannot, for the life of me, get sound working.

I get no return regarding my soundcard when I run lsmod... there's simply nothing there about my Soundblaster card. I goofed around with Gentoo for awhile (nice, but a royal pain-in-the-ass, never got it completely running right) and I know the drivers for my soundcard are 'emu10k1' - but I can get it to load - any ideas?

BTW, lspci does show my soundcard as a "Creative Labs SB Audigy LS"

#13 User is offline   F for Fragging (old) Icon

• LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 16 April 2005 - 09:47 AM

Newby, I also had problems with my Soundblaster Audigy Player soundcard in Linux. I had to unmute the channel "SB Audigy Analog/Digital In" in the mixer, otherwise it wouldn't work. Check if that channel is muted on your install.

#14 User is offline   FragginNewby (old) Icon

Posted 16 April 2005 - 02:03 PM

Problem is that when I run alsamixer in the terminal, I get this error:

function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory

:(

[edit]

WTF? Now, if I even try to join a server, I get the "download the latest patch" BS message for punkbuster. I'm running the patch... I type /pb_cl_enable in the console and it still doesn't work.

And while I'm a little pissy about this, Why the F*CK is there a hidden file in the home/'username' folder with the config files? Jesus H. F*cking Christ! Which PB folder am I supposed to be dealing with? The hidden one in the 'home' tree or the visible one in the '/usr/local/games/quake3' tree??

#15 User is offline   F for Fragging (old) Icon

• LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 16 April 2005 - 03:24 PM

That's strange. Is using the mixer in GNOME impossible for you as well? Maybe post your problem in the Ubuntu bugzilla?

Concerning your Punkbuster problems, check my FAQ, first answer, with the link to the HOWTO. You should use the PB folder in /home/<username>/.q3a/pb/.

And yes, the hidden directory in the home dir on Linux is a bit different than Windows. That's because Linux is a true multi-user system. It uses that hidden .q3a folder in every home dir to write the settings to it. The /urs/local/games/quake3 is the folder which is used system wide for every user, the hidden dir in your home dir is your "personal" quake 3 dir with cfg's screenshots, demo's and such things in it. I'll update my FAq with this answer.

BTW, why are you swearing with Jesus name? Not that I mind, but I thought that you were christian?

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   FragginNewby (old) Icon

Posted 16 April 2005 - 06:49 PM

OK, I may have the PB problem solved... it seems to be updating, hopefully I will be able to /pb_cl_enable my way into a server. thanks for that, I must have missed a step before.

Regarding the sound, I get nothing at all, even through gnome. It's like it doesn't even exist in the system, except for the fact that my soundcard does register when I lspci... but nothing when I lsmod :(

As for the cursing... lol... it's been known to happen. You should hear me on TeamSpeak... lmao!!

#17 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 16 April 2005 - 11:48 PM

On debian and I hope on ubuntu you'll need the 'alsa-base' and 'alsa-utils' packages provided you haven't compiled your own kernel (better not to if there's no reason). If the kernel is alright, the root user should only run "alsaconf", (or "sudo alsaconf" as a sudoer user) and everything will be set up, hopefully.

However, this is for the current debian unstable and probably it's the same with ubuntu but maybe it'd be better to check the ubuntu forums. their webforums are very crowded.

BTW, quake3 and enemy territory run only on 'oss', not 'alsa', however there is an alsa module (snd_pcm_oss) that emulates the oss devices in /dev. That can be loaded with 'modprobe snd_pcm_oss' or be put in /etc/modules to be loaded at boot.

#18 User is offline   FragginNewby (old) Icon

Posted 17 April 2005 - 01:43 AM

I haved snd_pcm_oss and snd_emu10k1 and another one I can't remember right now (I'm in WinXP right now)... but I followed the directions from a poster on the ubuntu forums, still no joy :( I asked for more help there, too...

http://www.ubuntufor...ead.php?t=21211

First post contains the instructions I followed, my post is on p.3 - I'm MajorNewby there (makes sense, doesn't it?)

#19 User is offline   FragginNewby (old) Icon

Posted 17 April 2005 - 05:28 PM

OK, I got the video working perfect (getting like 200+ FPS which is better than I did in WinXP - go figure) and now have my sound working properly. Turns out the SB Live 24-bit is *not* emu10k1, but some other funky driver... I took out the 24-bit, put in a "proper" SB Live! 5.1 card (hey, it even says "emu10k1" on the chipset of the card... lol) and everything booted perfectly for me. w00t!

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942