Evolving the HUD

Gost0r's Blog #2

#11 User is offline   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: iye

Posted 09 September 2016 - 10:28 PM

View Postringel, on 09 September 2016 - 01:39 PM, said:

Font: I think it is very nice from a designers point of view. It fits to the setting and adds a technical look. BUT the readability and the foreign language support (å,ä,à,... and languages using other letters are not supported) is very very bad! This is a clear step backwards from the perspective of usability and international communication. I hope you will use a better font in the final release.

I had this one on my list as well, and i guess its pretty clear. But while reading through your post, i noticed an important feature the font should have: "unicode support". At least for any special Cyrillic characters and such.
Sorry for my bad spelling - I am still asleep. :)

|=| Iye's UrT Addon |=| Firefox Personas |=| Maps |=|
http://www.mediafire...vk3a602hcfg.jpg

#12 User is offline   killspree Icon

• Account: killspree
  • Main tag: ds`

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:50 AM

The open feeling of the hud is amazing, my feedback would be to have at least the option to put the counter for how many players are alive from both teams on the same side of the screen.

This way you can see it in one glance, personally I like to be able to see who died and like the options you have currently in urt to be able to show player names and customize it.

Can it be to be able to move all HUD info to a 2nd screen this will revolutionize hud customization it might not be usable for everyone, also depending on personal taste.

#13 User is offline   Chameleon.hider Icon

Posted 14 September 2016 - 02:03 PM

( <<< filthy casual)
Overall looks nice and modern. My #1 priority is ability to read information fast (so things are not cluttered up too close) and not having whole screen covered by 2D (so things are close just enough).

What I see in screens:
WeaponInfo - I hope there's a menu that pops out when cycling weapons, because looking into cluttered corner (while having drawArms 0) isn't fast enough. Also as others pointed out, grenade info is sloppy. Maybe bright red for HE, gray for smoke, yellow for flash could work out?
And I really hope the firemode indication will be visible from a single glance... A line of dots isn't enough.

Scoreboard - strange that there's no way to know what exact ping you have, is it jumpy etc., without having to enable the network graph. Otherwise scoreboard is looking pretty good, maybe K/D/A a bit too close...

Font/Messages - if I like the old font (or if I have a good font lying around), could there be any way to replace default and maybe shave off a couple pixels from those messages? Also there seems to be some not needed extra spaces, e.g. between damage number and "%".

Concerning the 3D HUD element - gun - is this the righ place to discuss it?
If yes, I'd like to request one thing (for future obv) - that weapons would point at either infinite distance or distance that crosshair lies on. If you want to know what I mean, grab a laser, AK103, and jump into water (also turn off big weapons) - laser simply doesn't follow the direction of barrel (or actually vice versa, laser is the correct direction).

This post has been edited by Chameleon.hider: 19 September 2016 - 12:46 PM

War is hell, that's why "fun over realism".
CoD/Bf/MoH is "let's fake realism and pretend it's fun".

#14 User is offline   schnork Icon

• Account: schnork
  • Main tag: [exp]

Posted 17 September 2016 - 10:16 AM

Firstly I want to thank you for the update! I do appreciate it :)

But let's get right into it. Most of the issues have already been discussed and I hope they will help you to refine and improve the HUD even further. I like the new over all feel and the lightweight colors. With the being said I want to reemphasize some of the things that have been said already, because I believe that they are very important.

Readability
Font and Fontcolors are crucial to any design. Especially with something like a HUD where you are facing various different backgrounds with different contrast and brightness, it becomes a difficult task to tackle.
As far as colors go, white and bright and slightly de-saturated color adaptions are the most reasonable option here, because usually there are more dark than bright surfaces in game like this, which allow for decent contrast. Since this is something you have mostly done in the new design, I am quite happy with it. It would be helpful to see the HUD perform on other brighter more lit environments as well though. Maybe something for a future post or update on the matter.
At the moment there are some issues with the dark blue color on the dark background, where it gets lost almost completely. Here I much prefer the initial design by nounou where it was simple white, less distracting and much cleaner.
Also the colors but especially the neon green, in the kill feed took me out because it attracts too much attention.. I suggest way less color, or none at all. Since you can always use bold, or maybe italic characters to emphasize words.

For better contrast (although I am not necessarily saying that this would be the way to go), an option always remains to add a (diffused) drop shadow of either black or white, to tackle contrast issues. Maybe something to play around with.
Another option for better contrast is to use a defined background, like you have already done with the parallelogram-esque urban terror boxes, which certainly won't work for all the HUD elements. But it might be something to consider when addressing the importance and hierarchy of the different HUD elements.

Like others have already said before, there are important questions to consider, when arranging the HUD: Where does the player need to look to get certain information, and do eye movements feel redundant? Where and how can you gather information, so that players aren't getting confused. I am sure you know all that, but it's good to have a reminder sometimes, so here you go ;)

Besides that I also agree that the font doesn't really suit the context. Even though the font gives us that alarm clock pre-digital feel most of us probably grew up with, it's not a very good font as readability is concerned. I reckon a decent open source sans serif font that allows bold and regular characters would do the job. I think there is also no harm in using two fonts, as long as you stick to a certain hierarchy, with headlines and text.

Perhaps I will make another post about things that came to mind regarding the HUD later.
As for now, happy gaming and thanks again for the update ;)

#15 User is offline   katzenscheisse Icon

Posted 23 September 2016 - 03:34 PM

Looks good, but I really dislike the font, the general style of it is ok, but please dont use that LCD display stuff where for example a "N" is broken up in many small parts barely connected. Its hard to read and doesnt fit with the clean look of the rest of the HUD.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   Storm Chaser Icon

• Account: stormchaser
  • Main tag: TsN_

Posted 02 October 2016 - 06:45 PM

also one question, is there a way to change the font of the HUD? on stream it might be hard to read that LCD style font. maybe have some adjustable elements. Shoutcaster friendly would be awesome :D

#17 User is offline   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: iye

Posted 02 October 2016 - 06:57 PM

as stated somewhere above the font was just an experimental one used. It will probably be changed.
Sorry for my bad spelling - I am still asleep. :)

|=| Iye's UrT Addon |=| Firefox Personas |=| Maps |=|
http://www.mediafire...vk3a602hcfg.jpg

#18 User is offline   Storm Chaser Icon

• Account: stormchaser
  • Main tag: TsN_

Posted 02 October 2016 - 07:23 PM

ahh... i didnt see that.

View PostIye, on 02 October 2016 - 06:57 PM, said:

as stated somewhere above the font was just an experimental one used. It will probably be changed.

#19 User is offline   Zerox Icon

• Account: zerox

Posted 02 January 2017 - 12:39 AM

Bad. Give isometrics and neon lights.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942