• +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Grappling Hook

#1 User is offline   Dinksclan Icon

• Account: dinksclan

Posted 13 February 2016 - 07:02 AM

Hey guys! I have been around this game engine since the beta test of Quake 3 back in 1998. One feature that I ALWAYS had on my servers was an offhand grappling hook. People could bind a key to +button5 and use that as a grapple. Would you guys PLEASE consider adding this to the future versions? I also would love to be a part of the beta testers for the HD version. My 4K monitor is dying to try it out lol. From what I have seen so far, you guys are doing an amazing job! :biggrin:
[!] Dinksclan [!]
Fraging since 1998
Quake 3 Beta Tester

itsdink@hotmail.com

#2 User is offline   BurakQuaresma Icon

• Account: burakquaresma

Posted 13 February 2016 - 11:15 AM

Aaaaah i think its would destory the gameplay! I would choice modded servers with this feature.

#3 User is offline   SilverFoxZ Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: silverfoxz

Posted 13 February 2016 - 04:37 PM

Can you explain how this would work?

To me a grapplinghook in UrT sounds more like a "Too lazy to trickjumphook". :P
Unless you could explain how this would fit into the game.
I raise komodo dragons in my spare time

#4 User is offline   Lochverstaerker Icon

•   QA member   

Posted 13 February 2016 - 05:12 PM

View PostSilverFoxZ, on 13 February 2016 - 04:37 PM, said:

Can you explain how this would work?

Like the Grappling Hook in Quake 3 Arena (or Live); it does the following (from here):

The Grappling Hook fires an electric ray [...]. When it hits a solid obstacle or another player, it begins to pull the user through the ray until player collides with the target.

You can find many videos of it being used in Quake 3 (this for example; it's this red 'lightning')

And yeah, it would make many jumps easier (while grappling is slower than jumping properly in many cases) and change the feel of the game quite a bit (although it would obviously be optional).

What I think is interesting about the grappling hook is the air control it provides. I always thought the idea of "lowgrav" servers on UrT is interesting, but unfortunately you are unable to circlejump with low gravity and being in the air makes you an easy target (due to not having air control). Something like a grappling hook would provide you with the ability to almost instantly accelerate towards the ground (or a nearby wall), which would be pretty interesting in something like a lowgrav setting.

This post has been edited by Lochverstaerker: 13 February 2016 - 05:18 PM

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   shieldedwolf Icon

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:31 PM

This grappling hook is way too fast... I used it on TF and DM in Quake 1. It was slow, made you an almost easy target. That was nice, using it to reach places, not to arrive somewhere faster. If they ever put it into UT, a speed setting would be nice.

#7 User is offline   Muffie Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: muffie

Posted 28 July 2016 - 11:05 PM

like batman scaling a wall into a window for a stealthy entrance or swinging around like spiderman?
.:| Win10 x64 | AMD R5 2600 | 16Gb G.Skill cL16@3ghz | ASUS STRIX Vega 64 |:.

#8 User is offline   thebrad Icon

• Account: thebrad

Posted 05 October 2016 - 02:05 AM

View PostZenity, on 13 February 2016 - 08:25 PM, said:

A "real" grappling hook could be interesting though... maybe a project for the future.

I don't know if this is too much, but instead of it being a permanent item everyone has, make it a special item a player only has by picking it up and it is temporary(crates are popular these days). For example, a grappling hook spawns (maybe random locations at time intervals, invisible on minimap) and it's only available until the player dies or uses it once.

It could be fun to have and give it a slightly more futuristic feel

#9 User is offline   someone64 Icon

• Account: someone64

Posted 06 October 2016 - 02:45 AM

View PostMuffie, on 28 July 2016 - 11:05 PM, said:

like batman scaling a wall into a window for a stealthy entrance or swinging around like spiderman?

That sounds pretty good actually. Maybe instead of a grappling hook that you use to pull yourself in it's more of a Spiderman web type thing that allows you to swing and wall run while holding it. And maybe you can use it to scale high places by allowing the thing to very slowly retract or extend.

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942