Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

UrT 4.3 and the 4.2 Third-party Maps Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   schroeder Icon

• Account: schroeder

Posted 16 October 2016 - 09:17 PM

I am seeing artifacts of missing textures/models on many of the 4.2 third party maps when played under UrT 4.3.1. Talking to another admin we guessed that this may be due to Frozensands' removal of several standard maps from the 4.3.x packaging.

Because the original map makers may not be available to make the fixes, could Frozensands consider including textures and models of the removed maps (without the .bsp/.aas, etc.) to maintain map compatibility in the future releases of the 4.3.x branch?

So far I've noticed this in:

Concrete Arena
DTC
District
Blitzkrieg2 (minor: lamp)
Piketurn_bots

Perhaps others can point out some of their favorite old third-party maps having the same issue.

Thanks,
-S

This post has been edited by schroeder: 16 October 2016 - 09:30 PM

#2 User is offline   klabauterman Icon

• Account: klabauterman
  • Main tag: aI|

Posted 16 October 2016 - 10:09 PM

You can try http://maps.urtjumpe...textures_v2.pk3

It is for jumpmaps with missing texture so it might not help.

#3 User is offline   schroeder Icon

Posted 17 October 2016 - 05:22 AM

Thank you, klabauterman, however it did not work for the maps I mentioned previously...

Even if this worked, client-side patch is not an optimal solution. On public servers there is no coordination with the connecting players.

By posting under the "suggestions" section of the forum I'm hoping to avoid seeing lots of future uncoordinated (unauthorized?) fix-releases of our favorite 3rd party maps with _v2 and _fix suffixes, or worse: ut43_ prefixed files.

#4 User is offline   Pretsell Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: pretsell
  • Main tag: |HSO|

Posted 17 October 2016 - 11:23 PM

ewww ut43_

have a look in the pk3 to see if there is a readme and contact info for mapper, ask for permission :)

#5 User is offline   Biddle Icon

• Account: biddle
  • Main tag: fr.

Posted 18 October 2016 - 01:24 AM

Some of the mentioned maps like "PikeTurn" are already illegal by existence being unauthorized modifications of other maps, so heh.

If you can narrow down some of the missing textures that are used by several popular custom maps, we can look into it.
Though, normaly, from what we tested and Jrandom checked, there shouldn't be missing textures in (most) custom maps.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Magister Icon

• Account: magister

Posted 18 October 2016 - 06:10 AM

View PostBiddle, on 18 October 2016 - 01:24 AM, said:

Some of the mentioned maps like "PikeTurn" are already illegal by existence being unauthorized modifications of other maps, so heh.

If you can narrow down some of the missing textures that are used by several popular custom maps, we can look into it.
Though, normaly, from what we tested and Jrandom checked, there shouldn't be missing textures in the popular custom maps.

Well there is ut4_nuketown_a10 by killspree and in 4.3.1 it has many missing textures but in 4.2.x it didn't have this problem. I posted screenshots showing the issue on the nuketown thread in the Map / Funstuff Releases Section

#7 User is offline   schroeder Icon

Posted 23 October 2016 - 04:01 PM

Rolling up my sleeves with strong coffee on desk and a blank spreadsheet, I setup a test server for 4.3 3rd party maps testing with 80 of my favorite 3rd party maps (out of about 300).

I assumed the client console would display missing textures/models upon level change, but I'm not seeing it on my test cases (ut4_concrete_arena_bots, ut4_dtc). Also "visual" testing is very arduous, prone to human error, and very time consuming as missing elements can be difficult to find (e.g., 2 ceiling lamps in ut4_blitzkrieg2 inside the building).

Could someone advise me on a better way to go at this - for example:

* Am I looking in the wrong place for texture/model load failures on my client?
* Any tools I can run against the maps to list out missing textures/models? Perhaps something that can be bash scripted?

Thank you

Side note: Horse-A-F: are you still around?

#8 User is offline   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: iye

Posted 23 October 2016 - 05:06 PM

setting r_verbose 1 should allow you to get an error in the console when loading maps.

"Couldn't find image file for shader textures/"

I guess you could bash script this in this scheme:

while read MAPNAME; do
  ./Quake3-Urt +map "${MAPNAME}" +set "logfile 1" +set "r_verbose 1"
  grep -e "Couldn't find image file for shader textures/" qconsole.log >> errors.txt
  #kill UrT in your preferred way here
done < maplist.txt

(no guarantee i didnt fk this up, made it up in a hurry)

This post has been edited by Iye: 23 October 2016 - 05:07 PM

Sorry for my bad spelling - I am still asleep. :)

|=| Iye's UrT Addon |=| Firefox Personas |=| Maps |=|
http://www.mediafire...vk3a602hcfg.jpg

#9 User is offline   schroeder Icon

Posted 04 November 2016 - 05:45 AM

I have done a limited experiment with "r_verbose 1" (sorry late response - been a bit busy lately) and results seem incomplete. It identified missing texture for ut4_terrorism but not for ut4_dtc or ut4_blitzkrieg2. I also tried /devmap instead of /map but no-go.

I found an old forum post discussing one mapmaker who wrote a utility to identify missing texture for checking map releases, but the link to download the tool was dead (it was a very old post).

Any further advise here please? We have some wonderful 3rd party maps in UrT repos I hate to lose them under 4.3.

Thank you

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942