• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Could you fix 4.3 netcode? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Maurirp Icon

• Account: maurirp

Posted 21 October 2016 - 06:58 AM

Playing on servers with 120fps, at 25ms ping, at 170ms ping and 200 to 200ms this game version is unplayable, i don't have packet loss but for some reason some times ping goes to 0 (zero) and there goes the warp, involuntary movements to whatever side it wants.
Tried with /snaps 20, 30, 35, 60 allways the same, it goes better with 20 but 70% of bullets are unhits, or hitting wherever they want. This really sucks.

#2 User is offline   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: iye

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:23 AM

actually 4.3 netcode didnt change. Only the settings were changed by unlocking (sv_)snaps. This in theory should have lead to way better hit dedection and accuracy, but turned out to cause problems for some people, even more so at higher pings. Same for sv_fps. This did not come up during testing.

afaik the decision to simply relock those to their 4.2 values was made, so this should go away with the next update.
Sorry for my bad spelling - I am still asleep. :)

|=| Iye's UrT Addon |=| Firefox Personas |=| Maps |=|
http://www.mediafire...vk3a602hcfg.jpg

#3 User is offline   Gost0r Icon

•   former FS member   
    Lead Programmer
  • Account: gost0r
  • Main tag: hg`.

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:06 AM

source

Barbatos said:

This decision will be unpopular among some community members but we've decided to lock sv_fps/snaps values back to 20.

Higher sv_fps values, despite having some benefits, do have side effects that we've failed to detect in the two years of QA testing, in part because these issues are not affecting all players.

- Some players setting "snaps" to a lower value than sv_fps will experience a noticeable increase in their ping as well as difficulties to properly hit other players (if sv_fps is set to a value higher than 20).
- Some players setting "snaps" to the same value as sv_fps will have a correct ping but their opponents will warp, and the higher their ping the bigger the warps (if sv_fps is set to a value higher than 20).
- Some high ping players reported huge difficulties to hit their opponents on servers with sv_fps higher than 20
These issues happen regardless of the engine tested (official build, mitsu, r00t, fenix) as well as the game version (4.2 / 4.3).

We might unlock them again in the future if we find the root causes for these issues but in the meantime we need to provide the best possible gaming experience to players so this rollback is necessary.

tl;dr we're locking sv_fps/snaps back to 20 in 4.3.2.

#4 User is offline   Maurirp Icon

• Account: maurirp

Posted 22 October 2016 - 05:17 AM

Ok, thank you form the answers!!

#5 User is offline   Voiid Icon

• Account: voiid

Posted 11 November 2016 - 04:17 AM

Any estimated date on when 4.3.2 will be out? Urt is kinda unplayable now with 200 ping on almost every server.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Biddle Icon

• Account: biddle
  • Main tag: fr.

Posted 11 November 2016 - 06:02 PM

We would like to release it this month, so hopefuly, fairly soon.

#7 User is offline   Voiid Icon

• Account: voiid

Posted 12 November 2016 - 01:54 PM

That's great news. Churs

#8 User is offline   Critofur Icon

• Account: critofur

Posted 23 February 2019 - 05:38 PM

View PostIye, on 21 October 2016 - 10:23 AM, said:

actually 4.3 netcode didnt change. Only the settings were changed by unlocking (sv_)snaps. This in theory should have lead to way better hit dedection and accuracy, but turned out to cause problems for some people, even more so at higher pings. Same for sv_fps. This did not come up during testing.

afaik the decision to simply relock those to their 4.2 values was made, so this should go away with the next update.

"Problems... at higher pings"

As it should - and I wouldn't word it that way, rather, I would say: they lost their ability to exploit flaws in the game which let them avoid fair hit detection. When people with high ping wiggle, hit detection on them becomes pure shit. And rather than being a liability (as it SHOULD be) high ping actually becomes an advantage.

Basically, the game works MUCH BETTER oh my GOD it works so well it's an almost magic feeling to play again, when snaps is unlocked, and people WHO SHOULD SUCK (because they're choosing to play on servers where the ping is so high it's not appropriate for them to be there) start losing, as they SHOULD, and they cry, so you ruin the game for those of us playing on the appropriate servers close to us, where we SHOULD be using a setting such as snaps 60.

It's incredibly upsetting that you showed us how good the game CAN be with a PROPER snaps setting, then mere weeks later, you take it away by locking snaps
to prevent cheat" or some bullshit lie of an excuse?

Increased snaps is NOT chaeting, it's just making the game work better, more precisely.

It's really the OPPOSITE of a cheat, it let's players use their skill, rather than being a crutch that helps lower players win without higher skill (what cheats do).

#9 User is offline   Critofur Icon

Posted 23 February 2019 - 05:42 PM

Even when I was playing on DIALUP MODEM I would NOT play if my ping was 200! That's just too high for a good game.

It SHOULD feel like it's hard to play with a ping that high!

If you have a 200 ping, and I have a 40 ping, IT MAKES SENSE that you "can't hit me" because you SHOULD be dead before you even notice I'm shooting you!!!

#10 User is offline   Critofur Icon

Posted 23 February 2019 - 05:49 PM

View PostIye, on 21 October 2016 - 10:23 AM, said:

actually 4.3 netcode didnt change. Only the settings were changed by unlocking (sv_)snaps. This...should have lead to way better hit dedection and accuracy...

It did. The game felt un-broken - the difference was fantastic.

The game was so good, so fluid feeling, the "ghost bullet" problem went away - where before it felt like half my hits were simply ignored, now the game was DEAD ON and RAZOR SHARP.

I thought: "I bet this is what it feels like playing on a LAN"... Well, I used to have a LAN at home years before most people even knew what a computer network was, and the FPS gaming experience was sublime w/games like Doom and Duke Nukem 3d etc.

I literally want to cry at the loss of that kind of gaming experience you have imposed by locking snaps in the most recent update. Horrible awful, miserable situation what you've done. It will hurt every day, until the day I die, or, I can no longer move my mouse or see the screen well enough to play...

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942