• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Missing Textures in 4.3 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   drunkrabbit Icon

•   verified donor   
  • Account: drunkrabbit
  • Main tag: |RFA|

Posted 18 January 2017 - 04:59 PM

Missing Textures in 4.3... We can no longer run older maps on our server due to FS dropping some textures from 4.2 to 4.3... Please explain why.And can it be fixed?

#2 User is offline   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: iye

Posted 18 January 2017 - 05:53 PM

For 'reasons' maps where removed from the game, and with them their assets. This was done along with the repacking of the game for 4.3. Some were kept to keep popular 3rd party maps working, some weren't.

Personally, i never really got the reasoning behind this. However, FS can totally do that, as basically all mapping guides say that you should include all assets you use on a map and not depend on the base game, as it may change. On the other hand just saving 200MB but braking compatibility with a lot of maps didn't seem worth to me.

A FS side fix would be re-adding those maps (i guess just merge 4.2 into 4.3...), but i recall some clan had a texture pack created for all of the assets they needed for their server.
Sorry for my bad spelling - I am still asleep. :)

|=| Iye's UrT Addon |=| Firefox Personas |=| Maps |=|
http://www.mediafire...vk3a602hcfg.jpg

#3 User is offline   schroeder Icon

• Account: schroeder

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:30 AM

I inquired about this few months back, after losing use of many great 3p maps.
http://www.urbanterr...ird-party-maps/

It's still on my wish list for FSL to include in the future releases, textures and models from the 4.2 package, but not necessarily the .bsp files for the maps they have discontinued. I have tried to identify specific missing textures from the maps I would like to use on my public server, but could not find an easy way to compile such a list.

I believe UrT4.3 is still the best multi-platform free FPS game that performs well on a very old hardware with no GPU. I'm concerned if many of my regulars will be able to upgrade to UrT Resurgence/UE4. I'd like to keep my 4.3 server running as long as practical - having a large pool of maps in rotation keeps things interesting!

#5 User is offline   JRandomNoob Icon

Community Moderator

Posted 22 January 2017 - 08:34 PM

So.

During 4.3 development I was asked to compile a list of assets that wouldn’t be needed anymore after certain maps were removed from the base game. Obviously, removing stuff that was also used by popular third-party maps would’ve been silly. Thankfully, BlapecOol’s UrTStats site made it relatively easy to find out what the popularity of each map was so I was able to figure out what maps were actually played at all and which ones were just rotating on empty servers. (Special turd medal is hereby awarded to people who disguise their bots to make them look like human players. I found a few seemingly popular servers that were running highly unusual maps with no actual people present whenever I visited them — those were ignored.) League maps and such were obviously included by default.

I created a special installation of UrT that contained none of the maps or assets slated for removal in 4.3 and tested popular-ish third-party maps one by one in order to figure out what textures/sounds/shaders were missing now. (One of the surprises during this work was that a significant number of maps on public servers are repacks from 3.x and already so broken on 4.x that a couple of missing textures aren’t even noticable. Those were designated WONTFIX.) The final tally was 110 maps requiring some 10 MB of assets from 4.2, and 260 maps that didn’t need fixing at all.

Now, this approach was nowhere near perfect and I entirely expected to nuke someone’s favorite map — but please be reasonable and don’t just ask for everything to be fixed. This half a gig removed from the base game could be put to better use than housing assets for maps nobody actually wants to play. (Also, as already noted in another thread, FS takes a dim view of people editing their maps and then complaining when something breaks.) Listing the map names is enough, I can figure out the missing assets myself. (The secret is /developer 1 in the console before you load the map.)
dswp.de
Beginner’s Guide to Urban Terror (woefully out of date)
Daily Deadnade (Last updated September 9, 2016)

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Biddle Icon

• Account: biddle
  • Main tag: fr.

Posted 22 January 2017 - 08:39 PM

Just please make sure to list full and exact map names so we can track down the missing textures.

Most of the following maps listed in the other thread do not exist as is:

View Postschroeder, on 16 October 2016 - 09:17 PM, said:

Concrete Arena
DTC
District
Blitzkrieg2 (minor: lamp)
Piketurn_bots

#8 User is offline   schroeder Icon

Posted 24 January 2017 - 05:34 AM

JRandomNoob - Thanks "developer 1" switch is what I was looking for! Part of the challenge as a server operator is screening out 3p maps that have missing textures/models. It is time consuming to load each map, enter SPEC mode, and walk through the entire map. So this is greatly helpful!

I will go work on my wish list - please keep in mind that my list will be TDM biased, so I encourage others to pitch-in, also.

#9 User is offline   schroeder Icon

Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:38 PM

I selected 138 best maps (IMHO!) from my large collection of approx 400 3rd party maps, and checked them under UrT 4.3.1. Here are some unofficial and unscientific stats:

* 22 out of 138 maps missing textures/models that used to be ok under UrT 4.2.23 (16%)
* 11 out of 138 maps crashed the server - used to work under 4.2.23 (8%)

You can find the list of all the files I tested here: http://ares.confluvi...43-20170127.txt

Below is my "wish list" of files that exhibited the missing texture/model artifacts. If the list is too long, six maps post-fixed with (*) are my high priority picks -- those I hope to place in my mapcycle if resurrected:

ut4_antic ut4_blitzkrieg2_bots* ut4_cathedral ut4_cemetery_bots
ut4_city6_bots* ut4_concrete_arena_bots* ut4_district_b2 ut4_dtc*
ut4_imperial_b4 ut4_jerusalem_b1_bots ut4_knightfight_christmas_b4 ut4_malibu_beta4
ut4_militarybunker_b2 ut4_narvik* ut4_piketurn_rc1_bots ut4_suburbia_b5
ut4_templesofbam ut4_terrorism* ut4_turbinehall ut4_uc2_b1
ut4_valley_r2 ut4_violentos_b3

My observation of UrT4.3 is that it brings in 1) gamers with PCs that cannot run modern HD games, and 2) the die-hard/nostalgic crowd. Many of the maps on my wish list are for the latter crowd. In this late stages of your product life cycle I see preservation of maps from archival interests, and some maps are just too "artistic" to let die without a mention (antic, cathedral, narvik, imperial)!

Thank you for your considerations and your time!

- Schro

P.S. For a limited time you can download all the maps on the above list via wget (linux) or http from my test server. Just add .pk3, of course! Example: http://thea.confluvi...4/ut4_antic.pk3

#10 User is offline   schroeder Icon

Posted 29 January 2017 - 06:22 AM

View Postschroeder, on 27 January 2017 - 06:38 PM, said:

P.S. For a limited time you can download all the maps on the above list via wget (linux) or http from my test server. Just add .pk3, of course! Example: http://thea.confluvi...4/ut4_antic.pk3

I shut down my test cloud today. You can download the 22 aforementioned maps in a single zip file here: http://ares.confluvi...43-20170127.zip

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942