• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How Did It All Begin? Rate Topic: -----

The Story of how you found UrT

#22 User is offline   roguehardkore Icon

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:13 AM

Well lets see. I was a q3 Instagib fanboy. Loved flying around on trampoline pad things snapping around one shotting people with my newly released Geforce4 ti and amd 2500 based system. I was reading around on some forums and stumbled across Urban terror. I think it was right around the release of UrT 2.8 that i started playing. I played almost every day, started with CTF then became obsessed with TS. Joined a few different teams {UB} then |R|ogue then {BoS} did some competitive runs that were a lot of fun. Made a lot of friends, only 1 of which i still have contact with almost 15 years later. Whizperz from BoS. I still wonder how my old friends are doing. people like the Scottish guy Afterthenightmare. and Canadian Ev1lAl3x, My favorite pubstar The Juan. I bet we played hundreds of hours of Ctf against each other. I come on here every blue moon and look at who is on the forums and never recognize any names.

#23 User is offline   Critofur Icon

• Account: critofur

Posted 30 April 2017 - 04:31 PM

I had somehow missed Wolfenstien 3d, but when I built my first own PC it was around the time Doom came out.

I tried it and I was totally hooked - I played either all the way through or most of the way through both Doom and Doom II but MultiPlayer was where it's at, so much more fun to play against human players.

It was a constant struggle to find a good connection to a good server back then using dialup modems. Having my first good quality 56K modem was simply amazing, probably worth more than a bar of gold to me (that is, if I couldn't sell use the money from selling it to buy more modems).

But, once I tried playing on a direct connection (serial null modem cable, which I kludged together by using a regular serial cable and a couple paper clips to cross the send/recv lines) and seeing the joy of a consistent connection that remained fast the whole time and didn't have issues such as line noise, or a roommate picking up the phone, (or a call waiting call interrupting play) I knew that I needed that in my life so I helped my roomate buy his first PC and built my own long null modem cable with about 40 feet of phone cable, a couple serial cable "ends" from radio shack.

A year or two later, I was lucky enough to have a friend donate a few network cards to me when his company upgraded to CAT45 from Coaxial - they were Artisoft LanTastic cards with the BNC connections. I think I must have been one of the first 1,000 people in the world to have a home LAN back in the early 1990's - at that point, most people had not even heard of the Internet yet.

We played a lot of Doom, and then later Duke Nukem 3d. Then I moved on, got a new job, moved to a new city, and started playing Quake as soon as it came out, same with every version - I was always waiting in line to get the next Quake as soon as it was released.

Same with the 3d graphics cards, I had the S3 Virge, the Rendition Verite V1000, the Riva 128, the Monster 3d, etc. etc. etc. (Now I'm on the GeForce 1070, for many years I've tried to never go over the $200/$250 "sweet spot" in GPU cards).

From the first time I tried Urban Terror, back around 2001? It has been my favorite go-to game. Sure, I would flirt with other games now and then over the years, but nothing was quite as good as Urban Terror or held my interest for very long.

This post has been edited by Critofur: 30 April 2017 - 04:32 PM

#24 User is offline   Knightspure Icon

• Account: knightspure

Posted 27 May 2017 - 02:59 PM

2009 8th grade computer class, some cool kid was blazing through BST jump map. Was the coolest thing I've at that time.

Went home that day and looked up this website. Played on and off ever since. The movement in this game cannot be beat, a close game with skilled players is a sight to be seen by all.

Haven't been anywhere past public servers, but there was a time where I could hold my own against the daily top fragger.

Here's to the Dev's.. Glad to see this still kicking

This post has been edited by Knightspure: 27 May 2017 - 03:00 PM

#25 User is offline   Freshh Icon

• Account: freshh
  • Main tag: Forge|

Posted 27 May 2017 - 09:09 PM

I discovered it in 2008 or 2009. I know it from a friend of my brother. Back then I always had to play in secret, so my mom wouldn't find out. (I was like 11yrs old)

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#26 User is offline   Reea Icon

• Account: reea
  • Main tag: BST|

Posted 30 May 2017 - 12:09 PM

In 2009 lost my job for 6 months, searching for free games found URT. My first map was Uptown and in 3 months i become a member of FMD clan and play for 5 years Uptown. I always be an Uptown Boy even now i love this map. I tried to move to others games but when i watch an youtube movie or a shoutcast my blood rush and i open the computer and play a few rounds. I dont think i could quit this game so unique.

#27 User is offline   Bearshark Icon

• Account: bearshark

Posted 09 June 2017 - 01:02 AM

It was 2002, and I installed "The All Seeing Eye" to get a better Quake 3 server browser. I saw this UrT mod thingy listed on the left and decided to try it out. The rest is history.

#28 User is offline   eightbit Icon

• Account: eightbit

Posted 03 February 2018 - 05:20 AM

Late 1999 I think it was. There weren't many maps. I think mbase was one? You could still wear Q3A skins. Instantly hooked. Who'd think I'd still be playing it 18 years later? And still a n00b ha ha.

#29 User is offline   Muffie Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: muffie

Posted 20 February 2018 - 08:11 AM

playing quake 3 arena, see server for trainyard, try to go on, auto-download wasn't enabled and wasn't very reliable back then anyways, scour internet for quake 3 arena trainyard and finally found the mod site https://web.archive....80/screens.html
.:| Win10 x64 | AMD R5 2600 | 16Gb G.Skill cL16@3ghz | ASUS STRIX Vega 64 |:.

#30 User is offline   don Icon

• Account: don
  • Main tag: GlaD-

Posted 01 March 2018 - 09:05 AM

Buddy of mine was raving about this game. We were in 6th grade. 2001; man, I am so damn old now! Anyway, my buddy was telling me about this amazing PC game he was playing. One day, i was over at his house and he loaded up UrT. I still remember the first time I saw this game—he was running around Sliema with a PSG. What a scrub hah. I was blown away by the graphics and realism, which were top notch for the era. His dad was really into PC gaming and must have stumbled across this game. I eventually got Q3 for Xmas and later downloaded the game. Fun times! Total waste of time, but some fantastic memories :)
GlaD-don
Past teams:
Partners in Terror | The Dark | Team Terror | Noobs Gone Wild | Xor | Blight Gaming | Area 51 Gaming | Team Lzuruha | Besserman6 | Console | No Care Bears | Zing | Pro5 | American Idols | Team Canada | No Defiance | Unlimited Gaming
<3 to the people who built and sustained the North American competitive community over the years. xil, r, vex, icu, bos, .e, '`|v|~, iF, -x-, ill, un, xor, glad & all the rest. thanks for the games

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942