• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Resurgence Game Types

#1 User is offline   KroniK Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: kronik

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:01 PM

So I have been thinking a lot about what features should be available on the initial release of UrT Resurgence.

The reason I have thought about this a lot is that first impressions matter a HUGE amount when it comes to new game releases. Sure we will probably end up with our core group of 200-400 or so players playing it because they love the old UrT, but when it comes to new players who have never played UrT before, the first impressions make or break a new game.

In the light of first impressions, two big things come to mind:

1) Concentrating the player base such that it is not hard to find a game to play.

2) Keeping the player base engaged by keeping servers full.

The two things are very closely related, but they are not quite the same. The main problem I see is that if UrT Resurgence releases with 6+ game modes, the player base will be spread so thin across those game types that no one gametype has enough players playing to make sure that there are active servers for a new player to join. It also would require a lot of spread out support from the FS staff, trying to fix bugs and balance so many gametypes and trying to get as much of it right on day 1 as possible.

A Proposed solution:

In the case of the initial release, I suggest that the FS Devs limit themselves to releasing only 3 - 4 game modes. The modes I suggest are: TDM, CTF, TS and Jump, with maybe a case being made to not release TS right away.

So while this may get some minor lashback from like 3 users who still play bomb and the 30 or so players who still play FFA basically all the rest of the gametypes are dead and not played. Having empty lobbies is a real turn off for a lot of players, and if a game has one or more game modes that nobody plays, its a bit of a sign that somehow either the game is dead and nobody is playing it, or that those game modes were poorly thought out and nobody likes to play them which also shows poorly on the game.

You can see this method of limiting game modes at release in big AAA games like Overwatch for example. For a long time they had no competitive matchmaking, only a single matchmaking system and a way to make custom games with friends, and that was it. Very bare bones, but it was great because it focused the community into a single space. Then once the player base expanded and they had tons of players online at any given time, they started releasing their arcade modes, and the competitive mode etc. However, if all those features were pushed at launch, I think the community would have been largely less focused and possibly would have created a much less popular game.

So to help mitigate that and keep first impressions relatively good I think Resurgence should stick to as few game types as it can possibly get away with, without a huge outcry from the current community.

To that end, I think limiting the first release to only TDM, CTF, TS and Jump modes would be the best solution. This way the community has a limited number of game types to play, but it also concentrates all the players into the most played game types and creates an environment where its more likely that at any given time you can find a server with players in any of the available game types, (except jump but that is kind of an exception in general).

It may be that even limiting it down to just TDM and CTF with TS in the wings ready to release in 6 months or so after release would be even better and keep the community even more focused.

---

TL;DR: I think we should limit the gametypes at the release of Resurgence to be TDM, CTF, Jump and maybe TS to keep the community concentrated and keep servers filled more than if there were 6+ gametypes.

This post has been edited by KroniK: 27 February 2017 - 09:01 PM

#4 User is offline   Swiiitan Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: swiiitan
  • Main tag: wG*

Posted 06 March 2017 - 05:34 PM

I agree with you about limited Gamemodes at start, TDM is casual and thats good, CTF is competitive and can be played casual so that is a big +

But allow me to get a little bit controversial, let's get rid of TS altogether , and i say this even though im a TS player myself..
TS is slow and badly built imho, having Draws and matches based on timelimits tend to make it really unfair and campy once a team takes the lead.

I would much rather see Domination as the replacement of TS (Capture and hold but instead of the stupid wave system, using ticket bleed or gain)
This is a much more competitive and interesting gametype even in the eyes of a spectator, and frankly i think it would work better in UrT than in Battlefield because of the fast movements of urt :)
Ingame: Swiiitan
Clan: **Saft

#5 User is offline   Vortex2 Icon

• Account: vortex2

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:20 PM

View PostJustMe..., on 06 March 2017 - 05:34 PM, said:

TS is slow and badly built imho, having Draws and matches based on timelimits tend to make it really unfair and campy once a team takes the lead.

Oh, okay yeah. Because Cambridge is a really well-built map, it's just...

Anyway, do you have a proposed solution to fix TS?

let's get rid of TS altogether , and i say this even though im a TS player myself..

:mellow:

I would much rather see Domination

:blink:

This is a much more competitive and interesting gametype even in the eyes of a spectator, and frankly i think it would work better in UrT than in Battlefield because of the fast movements of urt :)

Ok I think I see what's happened here. When is the last time you really played Urban Terror? We'll reconvert you, it's going to be alright.

This post has been edited by Vortex2: 06 March 2017 - 06:20 PM

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Swiiitan Icon

•   QA member   

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:42 PM

View PostVortex2, on 06 March 2017 - 06:20 PM, said:

Anyway, do you have a proposed solution to fix TS?

Not really a solution, but ideas maybe.
1. Instead of a timer, let's use a fixed set of rounds. This can still provide camping but not in the same sense as buying time by hiding.
2. Have so that instead of a draw, the team with more players alive wins the round. This could backfire though as if a team gets entry kill instead of pushing they just camp out the win.

View PostVortex2, on 06 March 2017 - 06:20 PM, said:

Ok I think I see what's happened here. When is the last time you really played Urban Terror? We'll reconvert you, it's going to be alright.

I played this years nationscup + some pubs before my vacation ;) but sure laugh at me for coming with a new suggestion.
For real though, Domination is a gametype that would work great for UrT (:

Read this link that i posted some months ago >Click Me<, It is based of the Domination mode from Blacklight: Retribution, so ignore the "hacking a node" feature. the Bf4 version of domination fits Urt better (:

#7 User is offline   Vortex2 Icon

• Account: vortex2

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:52 PM

View PostJustMe..., on 06 March 2017 - 06:42 PM, said:

Not really a solution, but ideas maybe.
1. Instead of a timer, let's use a fixed set of rounds. This can still provide camping but not in the same sense as buying time by hiding.
2. Have so that instead of a draw, the team with more players alive wins the round. This could backfire though as if a team gets entry kill instead of pushing they just camp out the win.

I played this years nationscup + some pubs before my vacation ;) but sure laugh at me for coming with a new suggestion.
For real though, Domination is a gametype that would work great for UrT (:

Read this link that i posted some months ago >Click Me<, It is based of the Domination mode from Blacklight: Retribution, so ignore the "hacking a node" feature. the Bf4 version of domination fits Urt better (:

Real talk, I can see how it would solve the problem of TS. :)

It does feel broken sometimes, however I disagree that it's a 'hidden meta' for teams to play in a pseudo-dishonourable manner by modifying their play style to 'run down the clock', as I believe that often the stronger team will win regardless... but I do agree that it makes that win seem a little bit ambiguous just because we have to wonder... having a set number of rounds removes this doubt entirely and there is never a meta-influence which isn't determined by the play of the players... which is better, because nobody is tempted. :P

This post has been edited by Vortex2: 06 March 2017 - 06:52 PM

#9 User is offline   Swiiitan Icon

•   QA member   

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:09 PM

Thats nice to hear :D
I don't know if i already had that information or if i just hoped that he was working on it, but i actully already thought he was working on it :D

#Believe

#10 User is offline   Ikslorin Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: ikslorin

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:33 PM

The alternate design of Bomb aluded to by Zenity at some point earlier also sounded really intriguing, unique and a nice fit for the faster paced game of Urban Terror. The idea very much being, that the bomb always is ticking, but does never as such get planted, but instead can be dropped in several bomb zones. The defending team can then move the bomb out again.

YouTube: youtube.com/ikslorin -|- Tweet, tweet: @ikslorin
Email: ikslorin[at]gmail[dot]com -|- Twitch: twitch.tv/ikslorin

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.frozensand.com/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942