• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Ioq3 unofficial experimental test

Test packets synchronization-timing changes for the Urt-4.x engine

#31 User is offline   Makeurtgreatagain Icon

Posted 21 January 2018 - 03:45 AM

View PostFrankie V, on 20 January 2018 - 08:31 PM, said:

Well net experience is going to be different in UrT5 as a lot of the important stuff is managed on the client that use to be managed by server. Epic promises no more magic bullet shots around corners and the position of the player on the client is where they are.

A bit of interesting info though is Urban Terror 4.X is still and will always be a mod of a game called Quake 3 and based on the terms and conditions of the EULA UrT HAS to be backwards compatible under idtech3 as to the selection of the game engine and the supplied game code.

What this means is the end user is not required to use the engine that FS provides and only does so as a means of convenience as to ease of installation and the end user does not have to run around looking for a preferred engine. If one wants to try a different engine then they are free to do so but FS has a responsibility to ensure a level playing field so playing around with netcode is a rather touchy area.

The requirement of the two raises an interesting question in that FS is at the very least responsible for fixing critical bugs as far as the game code goes but as far as the engine goes how far should FS go as far as official bug fixes and patch work?

Top of the list is to patch exploits and bottom of the list is updates that would be assumed to be an improvement and so called improvements like netcode is on the bottom of the list as the one time such an "improvement" was made the result was a disaster.

The main issue was not so much a client problem as it was a server issue of individuals running a server on a home brew server of less than ideal specifications and worst running on a single box that they do their day to day work on.

A good example as to proving this issue is Barbie use to run a temp server on his home box and ever time he would compile some code work the average ping of 250 would jump to 999.

Soooo

The main issue is not one of a bonked netcode but one of stability of the specification of an unknown server.

the improvement was real and tangible it was not disastrous its just that 80 fracking percent of the player base has the equivalent of 2003 DSL with god knows what routing and trying to play on servers 2000 miles from there region, anybody that was playing and had decent locations left could't tolerate the laggotry bs any longer

and Quake 3 really doesn't care what it runs on so long as its got access to a cpu core and a gig of ram the big thing is routing and connection quality low disk io helps,ssds are always good noisy boxes with lots of other process's can cause hitching in extreme cases but thats rare on modern minimal linux install, I know 5 dollar a month vps that will run a 16 slot server without a issue and they are as far down the ladder as you are gonna go short of spinning up a box in your basement (which is perfectly ok if you got a good fiber connection)

I do not know where you are pulling this line about people running servers on there home machines (I can't think of one active server thats hosted in such a manner) its a terrible idea but IS NOT the issue the issue is you can't have it both ways you can't have a good experience for people with craptacular connections and keep it fair for the people that don't objectively the people that don't loose 25% of there packets should not be getting the short end this goes for both idtech 3 and Unreal engine 4, you need a example go play fortnight epics own inhouse game on there engine and its tolerance for crap connections is non existent

I am not even going to touch the whole licensing can of worms,BUT

furthermore this patch is backwards compatible with generic quake 3,so is keeping the cvar unlocked and while I agree this particular fix is not ready to go live the

sv_fps was fine it should have never have been reverted, it should have been up to the server admin to decide what experience they wanted , no other mod meddles in that aspect so hard FS seems to having a pension for thinking they know whats best and history have proven time and time again you get it wrong more then you get it right

its been explained why the engine behaves the way it does it does not tolerate packet loss at any speed. THE ONLY CHANGE FOR THE PLAYER AT 20 Vs 60 snaps was that instend of everybody else suffering though YOUR poor connection YOU where made to suffer, new that was going to happen before it ever went live the faster you run it the more it shifts the `blame` on the client because the client is as fault and unable to keep up and keep the server informed

you got the negative reaction because tons of people got a reality check, nothing was broken it did exactly what it was supposed todo, other Q3 games run the same config Call of duty the biggest fps franchise on the planet up to a few versions ago ran idtech 3 at 120 snaps
and lets totally ignore that every other ioquake3 game has ZERO issue running at whatever sv_fps it dam well pleases and you get the same side effect on ANY of those games when clients can't keep up you get jitter and super grainy feeling movement because the server is having to extrapolate because the client isn't feeding it what it needs

ill admit I have a bit of a bone to pick with you. you come in here talking like some kind of expert on it.thats how you sound but you don't you haven't dug though the bowls of this engine all you know is what you are told, you aren't a programer amature or otherwise

idtech3 its old its quirky its frankly a pain in the ass most days. but the netcode its KISS incarnate it does what its told however fast its told todo it it does it well when the clients are not connecting from cambodia to east coast us

all I am saying is let the players decide what experience they want, you said you where done with q3-urt fine so be it be done with it let the players and the people that keep haunting you for 15 years take care of it we got dis its ez gg if I want to have a 5v5 with my friends at 120 snaps then I should be-able todo so without needing to write convoluted client hacks or send people pk3s with the needed fixes by all means focus 100% on UT5 have at it I have no interest in playing urt under the unreal engine, neither does anybody I know

This post has been edited by Makeurtgreatagain: 21 January 2018 - 03:48 AM

#32 User is offline   travmon Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: travmon

Posted 21 January 2018 - 11:37 PM

Well... this thread is a bit old as is ioq3 1.35. Question is will UrT 4.3.3 be 1.36 with opengl2 and allow unlocked sv_fps via QVM with proper client/server settings as defaults...

#33 User is offline   Makeurtgreatagain Icon

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:44 AM

View Posttravmon, on 21 January 2018 - 11:37 PM, said:

Well... this thread is a bit old as is ioq3 1.35. Question is will UrT 4.3.3 be 1.36 with opengl2 and allow unlocked sv_fps via QVM with proper client/server settings as defaults...

agree let the server admins decide what experience they want ,if they want 20 slots of 200 pings with matrix-esq bendy bullets then can have them.
if they want a 5v5 or even 6v6 at 60 snaps where everything hits and people with packetloss can go fawk them selves then they can have that.

the big thing is the defaults need to be the maximum settings assume everybody has a good connection instead of current methodology which is assume everybody is shit

the current defaults just mean everybody has to equally suffer because nobody can be bothered to set there net settings properly, where it should be is that if you don't bother to configure it you get shiton

people should not-be allowed to change cl_maxpackets to extremely low values people abuse it they do it so they don't get hit the min should be 60 not 30, people do the same thing with timenudge and rate rate should be defaulted and locked to 128000

all rate is is a limit it doesn't need to exist in the client at all all people ever do with it is turn it down to low values so they don't get hit people do it intentionally all the time

as a sidenote: the animation problem with packet loss higher sv_fps(>60) CAN be mitigated by making sure the animations are executing at a rate thats divisible by sv_fps

any timers for things like animations,reload delays recoil calculations that should be isolated from using server tick as timing,if you have packet loss it throws it out of step which is where SOME of the jitter comes from most of it is anti-lag and rollback trying to figure out WTF is going on because the client is not sending enough information

if memory serves urt was using snaps as its timer for animations which is a problem at 60 when the animations where only timed to 20 a quick a dirty fix would be to implement a static timer thats divisible by the current tick or just not use snaps as your timing source its a dozen or so line fix
but again its only noticeable with extreme packet loss normally everything just runs a little faster which is good its why it felt so smooth

This post has been edited by Makeurtgreatagain: 22 January 2018 - 08:52 AM

#35 User is offline   Makeurtgreatagain Icon

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:42 PM

View PostFrankie V, on 22 January 2018 - 09:45 AM, said:

Well you could make a community built version of the idtech3 engine. You are all not required to use the one we provided and there was at one point a fair number of choices of an engine tweaked just for Urban Terror.

For that matter fstech1 was for the most part a massive tweak of idtech3 that included MD5 animation.

I wouldn't call it massive
the MD5 stuff was just a pull from Xreal/Daemon

there is a old thread here of urt running on Deamon https://forums.unvan...opic.php?t=1776
there are lighting bugs abound and of course its not using the new specmap or rt-anything lighting/shadows but train missed I guess ...

Id take IQM over MD5 any day of the week
*on topic

ship two binaries then let the urt updater offer it as a option but that does not address the topic here,which is the standing policy you seem to have of assume everybody wants to suffer because people can't run a 15 year old game its infuriating that everybody else is made to suffer because of one group of players decide they want to connect from 2000 miles away over questionable dsl or whatnot

keep the sv_fps cvar unlocked default it to 20 or 30 but let the server admins decide what experience they want maby you would have some competitive leagues again

as nilist said and I have heard the same thing echoed on ctf east it was the best experience for those that where not trying connect to servers thats where to far away with to much packetloss with insufficient fps for a given snaps and just plain wrong net settings

because absolutely if your setup can't handle running a 15 year old game at what is computationally speaking a marginal increase in requirements you should probably hang your mouse up. go play minecraft or wait for UT5 so you can complain about how your pentium 4 only gets 8fps it may sound sarcastic but its unfortunately very true

This post has been edited by Makeurtgreatagain: 22 January 2018 - 05:56 PM

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#37 User is offline   Makeurtgreatagain Icon

Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:06 AM

which is why I am asking NICELY stop locking the net-cvars

that at least allows the option for people that accually want a friday night game to NOT have to run 4.3.1

when the time comes and hd is on its out and gone you could be nice and release the rest of the source code so I can take a weekend clean it up and fix some of the issues =/
it needs somebody that knows how to clean the cobwebs out of id tech 3 to walk though it cut years of bad code and fugly patches out of it, remove all the idsoftware code from 20 years ago - and thats all I am gonna say on that because we both know where that argument will go

this particular fix is nowhere near release ready its got some implementation flaws that need to be addresses and the reality is to ever get it to run right changes need to be made to the qvm source this patch is a LOT like one of the patches made to unvanquished which completely rewrote the majority of the client to server timing and netcode

#38 User is offline   KarlMariaSeeberg Icon

Posted 24 January 2018 - 08:12 AM

could fs please invite makeurtgreatagin to join the team or find some way to cooperate? it sounds like he knows what he's talking about and additionally cares about a +10 year old game. this seems to be a rare combination nowadays.
if you don't like uptown, you are basically hating urban terror.

#40 User is offline   Makeurtgreatagain Icon

Posted 28 January 2018 - 07:06 AM

View PostFrankie V, on 24 January 2018 - 09:36 AM, said:

Not sure what he is asking for. Sounds like an adjustment the will break the game for the have nots in favor of the haves and history wise Urban Terror has always been a top shelf FPS that has always catered to those that are running less than ideal hardware. Not to many games these days can be ran from a flash drive as well on a laptop and there are still concerns of creating a build that only runs on Win excluding Mac and Linux platforms.

As it stands the only requirement, need, is for the idtech3 engine code which is available to anyone that want's a go at it and anyone who wishes are more than welcome to give it a go. As for example the community effort taking place in this topic.

The only thing FS can really offer is to take responsibility to fix something that is fundamentally broken, like collision detection in 4.1, that fixes the problem for everyone.

It's just my opinion, based on what I've seen but such an enhancement that depends on network migration will excluded all players outside of Europe, who in their wisdom invested in high speed Internet connections early as compared to North America still on cheap less than stable cable , or excluded anyone from Australia.

This however does not mean that 3rd party interests can not do their thing and come up with their own solutions, even running private servers, and mode the engine all they want, including breaking backwards compatibility, where joining the team would actually be a negative as to making needed improvements which would be a violation of the EULA which we operate under.

The only requirement is to stick to it when the easy solution is to just walk away from the project of what looked like a good start.

The thing is working on Urban Terror is easy until you start working on it and the only real value of being a team member is to be a witness as to how fucked up things can really get. ;)

first thing is first I have no interest in joining fs I disagree with fs enough as it is you don't want me on irc screaming at you daily because I Will

all I am asking is stop locking cvars because of people with terribad connections default it 20 but let people decide if they want a 5v5 with people in there own region
this has been the circular argument here. why do people that insist on playing on servers that are 1500 miles away from them on questionable connections with pcs that aren't fit to access youtube given preference over people that have pcs made in the last 10 years THAT'S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10! $#@@$@#ING YEARS That is a enterinity in the pc space you know that there is absolutely no excuse on the planet for not being able to run urban terror at 90 or 125fps none zip nada no pass IN EX CUS A B L E!!!!!!

secondly about the region exclusion honestly I have no problem excluding those players or at the least forcing them to play on servers in there own #@@$$@$#$#ing country

we used to have populated regional servers active servers in europe south american even japan, and then population tanked And like it or not it was partly due to players invading from outside there region that absolutely wrought havoc with anybody trying to have a semi decent game UrTs catch phrase is "HITS URT HITS"

this next part I really REALLY DIDN'T want to bring up here but let the record stand STOP READING HERE IF YOU VALUE YOUR SANITY AND PATIENCE!!!!!!!!
--------------------
Spoiler

//edit Iye: remove blank page, put stuff you wanted to "hide" in a spoiler

This post has been edited by Iye: 28 January 2018 - 01:16 PM
Reason for edit: //edit Iye: remove blank page, put stuff wanted to "hide" in a spoiler

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.urbanterror.info/members/donate/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942