• This topic is locked

Ioq3 unofficial experimental test

Test packets synchronization-timing changes for the Urt-4.x engine

#41 User is offline   Fenix Icon

•   former FS member   
  • Account: fenix

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:54 PM

View PostFrankie V, on 24 January 2018 - 09:36 AM, said:

This however does not mean that 3rd party interests can not do their thing and come up with their own solutions, even running private servers, and mode the engine all they want, including breaking backwards compatibility, where joining the team would actually be a negative as to making needed improvements which would be a violation of the EULA which we operate under.

That's just because you want to keep the source code closed, and so you need to comply with the EULA. For the same reason, fstech1 could have never be used. The thing which is just a little bit off, is that many people (you included) have worked on so many contents and maps that are now just trash for the bin. I also spent months working on stuff that have never been released...once again for EULA kicked in.

The thing I do not understand is why you are being so restrictive about open sourcing Urban Terror 4.x game code. I mean, you all are moving forward to Urban Terror Resurgence, so what's the point of not letting community members improve the game they actually play, while there is still some sort of community to play the game......yeye once again Urban Terror "Still dying", but look at the facts.

Leaving licenses stuff that I am not interested in discussing about, I just would like to know the reason behind this choice.

#43 User is offline   Fenix Icon

•   former FS member   
  • Account: fenix

Posted 01 February 2018 - 09:16 PM

View PostFrankie V, on 01 February 2018 - 05:51 PM, said:

As you might recall the game code was at one point leaked and the first thing that happened was the game code was leaded to the cheaters community with a first offer of anyone that donates $100 bucks to a charity of their choice would get a copy. When that did not pan out the game code was released with out condition and in the process making it known that there was an AC solution in place not known to the general public and with in days private cheats were updated to better hide "their" cheats.

It was made clear at the time that there was more individuals looking to take advantage of the game code, for their own agenda than there was wishful thinking of individuals looking to fix or improve the game.

As an experience of just one thing that "did" happen how would open sourcing the game code be of benefit to thous that just want to play the game?

Personal opinion wise it's not so much about what might happen but the unknown of what will happen and once out there can not be taken back.

So basically you have fear that "some individuals" will benefits from the release of the source code to make cheats? Just to inform you, cheats are already available for Urban Terror 4.3. It takes just a few minutes to adjust cheats to work after you guys release an update, using the correct tools; you just need to find a guy who is willing to do so. Security through obscurity is a no way to go, I'm sorry.

As for how would open sourcing the game code be of benefit to thous that just want to play the game: well, last time the gamecode has been leaked by an idiot that was recurited by FS as developer (I don't even remember why he got recruited in the first place, since he was totally a nobody that didn't have anything to prove is value....actually I think I was the only one so dump to apply for FS by sending a CV to raedwulf). Anyway, what he did was not correct, because he did that without the team approval. Now, this doesn't mean that the open source world is bad by definition (for god sake, you are taking benefits of an open source engine, and without it Urban Terror would have never been so popular....good luck finding a copy of Quake 3 Arena in 2018). I mean it's like, some one get killed in a car accident, so let's stop making cars because they will kill someone eventually.

I think that if the gamecode is made available to the public, in a repository owned by FS, and the project is well managed by a subset of people with the correct skills (god u had TTimo, raedwulf, gsigms!) the game will only improve.

I still don't understand this final sentence: Personal opinion wise it's not so much about what might happen but the unknown of what will happen and once out there can not be taken back.

I don't think nuclear reactors will melt down the moment the code is relased.

This post has been edited by Fenix: 01 February 2018 - 11:06 PM

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.frozensand.com/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942