Urban Terror Forums: How to have 100.000 + players for Resurgence ? - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to have 100.000 + players for Resurgence ?

#11 User is offline   NoYd Icon

• Account: noyd

Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:59 PM

@FrankieV

I'm edgy on this post, and I apologize. Conciseness is better than diplomacy to act fast. I will be really honest to the end.

I'll go right to the point: if you say marketing is expansive, this really means you don't know it at all. And I understand it because I work full-time in it, and you don't. We don't sell Heinz ketchup on TV. We are doing minimalism: do more with less. At least, this is what I'm doing. And this works outside UrT.

If your stories aren't read, this is not the problem of the reader. The content creator is responsible for his promotion and catchiness. It's like create music and post it on YouTube randomly and hope a famous producer will say "Gotcha you're the new Daft Punk, I want to work with you!". This is non-sense. It's like the last Pepsi ad: A bad promotion is a bad promotion.

What I will do for the community is not full-time. This is easy to do to me since I'm doing it every day for a good salary. It will be quite long since I'm using my free time, maybe 5 hours per week, more or less. 6 months maximum at this rhythm.

UrbanTerror has changed. We're aiming at a different target. Whether you like it or not. Adapt or die.

I'm on the Discord if you want more information.

@lye

I'm really disappointed with your answer lye. I think there are much more interesting facts in my post than garbage text formatting and irritating memes.

@zietsch

Chinese have small dicks. That's why it's a bad idea to do it with me. :biggrin:

@FS team

Please FS, don't fall under irony and hopelessness. Let's build together.

If you're pessimistic, see the game die slowly will give you better results than trying to do a new version.

Please take this post seriously. There is maybe a humor tone. But this is not a joke.

I come back with CONCRETE stuff at the end of the week. Stay tuned.

@LinCeX & Psykoquake

Thank you for your support, it is highly appreciated. I will do my best.

EDIT:

@schnork
I'm highly supporting the public call-to-support. What do you need FS? The community want to involve!

I don't really know if Kickstarter is necessary, but it could be a good idea. And FS has to decide if it is necessary for them. I can help with the fundraising campaign. For free, always.

This post has been edited by NoYd: 18 April 2017 - 07:04 PM

#13 User is offline   KroniK Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: kronik

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:24 AM

One thing that you devs maybe have not considered is that using a kickstarter campaign or starting a patreon page can allow you to temporarily hire people to get work done faster. I know you all are volunteers, and since you have less time to invest in coding and mapping, its better if you are the ones managing and directing others who can be hired for relatively low fees from places like upwork.com. Let a freelancer do a lot of the heavy lifting that is not extremely difficult but takes time to code.

Its by no means perfect, but I would donate to an FS patreon page if it meant that frankie and barbie could hire a part time dev to help push this process along. A paid freelancer could really help move this project forward while allowing FS to maintain full control over the direction, and can provide code review and management on their usual volunteer salary of free.

Doing a basic search on upwork.com, I found several UE4 developers that will work for anywhere between $12 and $60 an hour USD. http://puu.sh/voSv9/e742f1771b.png

Then any funding FS ends up with from a patreon campaign that does not end up getting spent on a developer can be put into marketing or hiring another freelancer to help work on the website, or build a new launch page for Resurgence, or literally anything else.

There will always be bugs, and having a hired hand would be SO beneficial for this project. I can right now say that I would be willing to put down around $50 a month on a patreon if it helped pay for a part time freelancer to help develop the game.

This post has been edited by KroniK: 19 April 2017 - 03:28 AM

#14 User is offline   NoYd Icon

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:12 PM

@FrankieV

Actually I contacted Barbatos first and he said me to post it here. This is quite fun. :happy:

No problem about experimentation and that you're doing your best. Edison said "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."

I want to tell you something: you're already doing an awesome work, Frankie. I'm following all your videos. And this is inspiring. Keep up the good work without giving you too much pressure. It'll be a pleasure to discuss things on Discord.

As I said before, I'll do what I have to and I will share it with FS.

@KroniK

+1, Get feedback like yours is so important. I can find a way to store all this precious information.

#15 User is offline   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: iye

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:52 PM

View PostNoYd, on 18 April 2017 - 06:59 PM, said:

@lye
I'm really disappointed with your answer lye. I think there are much more interesting facts in my post than garbage text formatting and irritating memes.

Yet you actively spent time to format it like this? Come on. :) If Frankie can make sex tape jokes, i can make sarcastic remarks about your formating, especially if you were trying to sell me a selling "strategy". :P

Anyways. Lets get serious about this.

In fact, i actually red through all your post. There was just nothing more to write at that time. Maybe a small "agreed" could have done it, but it felt, and still feels, more like a "nothing new here" thing to me. Sure marketing is important. Sure FS doesn't do it very well. Basically there is no marketing at all. And yes, you laid out a basic strategy quite well, but it just was nothing special to me. Just another pointless post about "we nedz more expzur" at that time. Maybe (not to say probably) i didn't quite do you justice at that time, the "more details to come" at the end of your last post got me hpoing, so to speak.

So yeah. UrT could do with more marketing. But there is only so far you can get with just free time and without money. If you would be willing to actually do real marketing for UrT, i guess noone in the community would be opposed to that (basically see Frankies last post). I guess i could forgive you the choice of font in your OP in that case :P.

Hope that clarifies it.
Sorry for my bad spelling - I am still asleep. :)

|=| Iye's UrT Addon |=| Firefox Personas |=| Maps |=|
http://www.mediafire...vk3a602hcfg.jpg

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#17 User is offline   KroniK Icon

•   QA member   

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:27 PM

@Frankie

While I can understand how adding $$ into the mix can make things more complex, I seriously doubt that it reduces your ability to make the best game possible. In fact its the exact opposite, because having a hired Dev to work on parts of the project which are taking a long time to code, allows FS to release that code and those updates faster and more consistently.

The main problem with trying to get community members to work on Resurgence is that so few of us have the actual knowledge and skills to even help or create effectively. When you have a mostly dead game like UrT the community is no longer filled with all those people with the skills to actually help. People like Rambetter were great to have back in the day, but most of them have moved on, and the ones that havent are basically already on the FS team.

What im trying to say is I dont think the community can make this game anymore. The current FS team is making great progress, but it can only go as fast as you guys have free time and motivation to spend on the project. You can eliminate both of those obstacles by finding a way to hire a dev to actually work for money. Heck, they might end up loving the game so much they might start donating time as well, who knows, but I think having the ability to pay someone for their time makes so much sense for getting this game to a real beta and on steam within the next year.

At the current pace, I'm not sure that Resurgence will survive, and that saddens me, and I make a decent enough living that I would invest in keeping things moving. I think you could pretty easily scrape together $300+ a month on patreon. Thats not a huge amount, but its enough to get a week of development from a cheaper freelancer. Those are hours that you guys would have had to spend on weekends and evenings throughout the month. Honestly a week of solid dev time is worth about a month or less of the current pace/progress and I would happily donate to try to double the pace of development.

Anyway, I can understand why you dont want money and finances involved as that adds a whole other level of accounting and tax issues etc, however I personally think it would be well worth the extra effort.

#18 User is offline   NoYd Icon

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:41 PM

@FS So this leads me to another attitude: If you help me to understand better your needs and actual problems, I will help you by providing solutions that are relevant to your situation.

Answer the survey

Thank you :biggrin:

This post has been edited by NoYd: 20 April 2017 - 06:22 PM

#20 User is offline   KroniK Icon

•   QA member   

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:34 AM

Let me know when you get the Patreon page up, cause I want to setup a regular donation!

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942