• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alpha Yet? Over 4 Years Now.

#12 User is offline   criowoolf Icon

• Account: criowoolf

Posted 27 April 2019 - 07:31 AM

In order not to create a new topic I will ask here. When will development news be available? Videos or screenshots? The community is waiting for some news. :unsure:

#14 User is offline   z0mb1ebob Icon

• Account: z0mb1ebob

Posted 05 May 2019 - 04:07 AM

Hello all. I read the article by @Invis and the telephone, erm, utility pole is looking good, nice attention to detail @invis wp

Posted Image
Bomb mode p1st0ls/n@de/spaz/sn1pe /connect zb1.zombieferrets.com

#15 User is offline   Hypperz Icon

• Account: hypperz
  • Main tag: strayA#

Posted 27 August 2019 - 10:05 AM

That's a mighty fine pole.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   InTensiTy Icon

• Account: intensity

Posted 31 August 2019 - 06:04 PM

Waiting for Alpha :biggrin:

#17 User is offline   Davo Icon

• Account: davo

Posted 01 September 2019 - 01:13 AM

Can confirm - transformer wired correctly (for America at least).

#18 User is offline   Brainie Icon

• Account: brainie
  • Main tag: psyp.

Posted 19 September 2019 - 03:57 AM

Even when this game is dead people still ask for a release date xD

Anyway I just downloaded 4.2 for fun tonight and it brought me a lot of nostalgia. Such a sick game and I kinda miss the 2008-2013 era with the big clans and ClanBase.

Love <3
Psychologic People - Team Canada - Psychology in Urban Terror
ClanBase Writer and Referee - Ask me if issues

#19 User is offline   Slicey Icon

• Account: slicey

Posted 09 October 2019 - 09:45 PM

View PostBrainie, on 19 September 2019 - 03:57 AM, said:

Even when this game is dead people still ask for a release date xD

Anyway I just downloaded 4.2 for fun tonight and it brought me a lot of nostalgia. Such a sick game and I kinda miss the 2008-2013 era with the big clans and ClanBase.

Love <3

Yeah i miss that era too, was a great time for UrT

#20 User is offline   mike9k1 Icon

• Account: mike9k1

Posted 09 April 2020 - 05:39 AM

View PostRonaldlee, on 25 February 2018 - 05:39 PM, said:

Apologies. It has been over 4 years since this project has been sitting in UE4.
About 4 years ago I made a post here that others could try out the UE4 basic tdm shooter, see: http://www.urbanterr...4-test-ue4-out/

I've seen a lot of progress on maps (Frankie, nice stuff), but why is there not a basic single map tdm after more than 4 years? Certainly there could be despite the entire game not being finished yet.

Yesterday I took down the last of 1up's Urt 4.2 servers. At one time 1up had almost 20 Urt servers (4.1).
I invested quite a bit of money into coding, having special things made for our servers, hosting, etc., since 2008.
Ten years later and devs here are still trying to tweak an engine that is from 1999 for versions of 4.3. Why? Let that go, move on please.

I'm off to force myself to play Insurgency, COD versions, and other shooters. I've got no choice. I can't hold my breath another 5 years.
I understand (and have for ten years) that the dev team here are all volunteers, but on the flip side, many longtime Urt players have waited
for years upon years upon years, and there is no end in sight.

Good luck.
I'll look back in from time to time.

Well put. And let me say, THANK YOU RonaldLee. 1up's servers were the bomb back in the day :)

I happened to catch a stream of this new game "Valorant" the other day, and was a bit excited...before seeing that it was just another Overwatch clone with the clunky movement of CSGO. I was thinking to myself "What is this garbage? Will there ever be a game that could even come close to capturing the magic that was UrT back in the day??". So, I took it upon myself to make my semi-yearly check-in to the Resurgence blog and... was really disappointed that not much has changed :S

Don't get me wrong. There's something really heartwarming seeing you all here, still plugging away. Barbatos, BladeKiller, RonaldLee, FrankieV (I remember when you were a new addition to the FS dev team ;p). All the new faces: Krasus, Isopropanol, OhJay. The immense time that you all volunteered to make this community what it is all these years is inspiring <3

But, well, it feels like the game's been trying to move onto a new engine for nearly a decade (longer than that if you count the attempt to move to UE3 pre-4.0). And, to see quotes on the blog page about the new Alpha that say things like: "UrT 4.x runs smoothly for me. UrT 5 when I'm 1v1 or alone it does as well. But combining 3v3 up to 5v5 + my slow IO + server ping / WIP issues ... I lag a lot" or "It has some noticeable performance issues. Other players models tremble a bit when moving and a 5v5 game is actually laggy, with players teleporting sometimes" -- well, it's a bit discouraging.

Honestly, I'd love to see a Kickstarter/GoFundMe/IndieGogo/Patreon to fund development. I would gladly donate, and I think many others would too. I know that this is a labor of love for you all, and most of you have regular jobs that monopolize the majority of your time. I just believe that the only way for this game to become viable or relevant again is to have a(n at least partially) funded dev team with a few folks who can put more time & focus into it. It has SO much more potential as a commercial project. And, let's be fair: all the current & former devs who put their blood, sweat, and tears into this game deserve a hefty check by this point.

It pains me a little to think that nobody knows anything close to what this game was like these days- the movement, the pacing, are unparalleled. Like almost everybody else on this forum, I have so many fond memories of 4.1.. it was the playground of my formative years in online gaming, I don't think I could EVER forget it.

I remember joining a clan (|AoW|), and later finding out that another member (keres) lived down the street, less than a block away from me in my small hometown xD -- he was an incredible texture artist, had a very keen eye for detail, and a pretty brilliant guy in his own right. You may recognize his name as the (co-)creator of several maps from the UT4 days (ut4_laneway, ut4_island, ut4_baeza, etc).

Later on, I decided to host some of my own servers. I downloaded the source code of Rambetter's custom ioQuake3 UrT server build, and compiled it for FreeBSD. It ran so well and supported features not in the vanilla release, including patches for better bot AI, cl_GUID checking, GUID-based banning, and even had the "/callvote" exploit patched (WAY) before 4.1.1. It was so cool to be able to ban GUIDs of known injected builds of the game >:D -- too bad not many people knew about this: Rambetter was a f*cking genius.

In hindsight, I think 4.2 divided the community much more than one might care to admit. The auth system was actually really innovative, and I thought that was a major step forward. Unfortunately, that meant the dev team needed to move to an officially-licensed Quake3 build due to a desire not to publish auth-related changes upstream (as was required under the GPL-licensed ioQuake3).

I can say personally that killed a lot of my desire to run servers going forward. There was something very... "wild wild west" about the ability to run your own custom build, and support features that weren't available otherwise (custom funstuff, as another example). Say what you will about the UAA, it was a really cool community-oriented (albeit flawed) solution to a widespread problem (cheating).

Nevertheless, the game still needed to take a step forward. Unfortunately, that fragmented the player base. Many people were still playing 4.1 well after 4.2 was released, and half the servers were either on 4.1 or 4.2. I had separate installs so I could play both versions at one point (2013). The game's playerbase was dwindling as it was, but that accelerated the decline tenfold.

I can't stand to see this great game forgotten, and I hope beyond hope that UrT5/HD/Resurgence/(Whatever it's being called these days) reaches not only a playable state, but a remarkable one at that ;) -- PLEASE don't be afraid to outsource or procure whatever resources are necessary to make this happen, nobody would think of it as "selling out" by this point.

Regardless, Urban Terror will always live on in my heart as one of the all-time greats. The community was truly incredible. Best wishes to the devs <3

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942