Urban Terror Forums: Although UT is still here, is it dying? - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
Page 1 of 1

Although UT is still here, is it dying? Rate Topic: -----

thoughts/ideas

#1 User is offline   Tweed Icon

• Account: tweed

Posted 20 June 2018 - 07:24 AM

As I scan through the list of servers, MOST are empty, some (very few) have players! UT is the BEST game available for Linux users and as a community, we need to do something...

I can draw in players, that's not a problem. One place I see that is lacking severely is server setup! Servers come and server go but the ones that could draw real traffic are not playing new maps. Tonight, I went to setup my own server and looking through the server manuals, most of the really good setup instructions are from Nitro who has been gone for YEARS. We need some fresh tuts guys! Most of Nitros tutorials don't work any more even with values changed to reflect user/version differences. With as few as I see actually playing, this game is dying fast unless we can get some fresh meat interested!!! And THAT is going to take something new. Monkeys has a fair amount of players but not enough to last and support additional growth. The Seattle server has some players... now and then, but there's no new blood that I see. We need some fresh docs with working links!, or alternative help. We need hosts running some fresh maps! We need some excitement in the community!!! I see very little updated since then.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the "Nitro" in question is the same developer that used to support GuildFTP server for windoze? He wrote some really great tutorials with working links pointing to live map servers, etc...

I have a dual cpu Zeon 2.6 16 core, 32 GB ram Ibm server sitting here just WANTING to run a 64 bit UT server on it but all documentation is old that I can find. I'd really love to bring in a fresh 40-50 players to get excited and bring in their 10-20 friends each! I convert people to Linux every day, but they want some entertainment! How as a community here can we pull together and support the GIFT from Frozen Sands and the folks that have written all these maps, to bring fresh blood, encourage more updates in servers and regrow this game that still has so much potential?

We need growth and we need fresh tutorials. As I see it, attracting players is the easy part.

Seeking productive comments here and I will be checking back at least daily and responding to any replies!

Tweed

#2 User is offline   Xxone Icon

• Account: xxone

Posted 21 June 2018 - 01:32 PM

I am curious where in de doc from Nitro do you have problems. Maybe i can help you.

The server setup in Linux (to start/stop) of the latest version is not different with the first version of UrT. I have followed that doc, and it works fine.

#3 User is offline   TheRealFubar Icon

Posted 21 June 2018 - 03:35 PM

I own the Seattle server that you mentioned, I just keep it up for some friends and so I have a server ready for the next version. It's low Gravity so kind of a niche market there. I agree we need more players, I got on this morning and 24 players in North America. I am hoping the next version of Urt, which is supposedly going to be on Steam, will bring in those new players. I'm not sure what can be done at this time to gain new players

This post has been edited by TheRealFubar: 02 June 2019 - 05:46 PM

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.urbanterror.info/members/donate/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942