WIP ut4_abaddon Rate Topic: -----

Design notes and general rants making Abaddon

#11 User is offline   Sneaks Icon

•   verified donor   
  • Account: sneaks
  • Main tag: =-KMA-=

Posted 30 April 2019 - 12:00 AM

View PostBladeKiller, on 29 April 2019 - 05:38 PM, said:

You don't need to include the models with the map... Static 3D models are baked into the bsp

I never knew that, thanks Bladekiller

#12 User is offline   Sneaks Icon

•   verified donor   

Posted 03 May 2019 - 03:38 PM

progress update: re-scaling and re-building, re-design, positive so far, a long way to go. added a link to download ut4_abaddon work in progress 2 from mediafire, it's a big file and a small map, getting an idea how long this will take and the end file size

download ut4_abaddon_wip2 mediafire

starting to get a feel as a place, although I need to establish time and the scenario. I think I want everything dirtier...

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Sneaks: 24 June 2019 - 04:37 AM

#13 User is offline   Sneaks Icon

•   verified donor   

Posted 13 May 2019 - 01:37 PM

Progress report for May 13th 2019...

I recommend previous versions (wip1 & wip2) are deleted from q3ut4 folder before loading this, expected conflicts otherwise.

download link for ut4_abaddon_wip3.pk3 from mediafire
Mediafire download for ut4_abaddon_wip3

Still going: replaced the first trenches with a pre-cold war bunker styled tunnel system, scaled objects, and new textures.

Posted Image

Posted Image

At 64MB I might knock a few of the textures back a bit, I might not.. I could reduce the number of textures but not yet until I get closer to the completed map

No real 'rooms' yet, still largely corridors and passageways

Still likely one large central desert room if I can make it work

Clipping, so much clipping

No hinting yet

vis block will need to be tweaked through the tunnels as they are just in place at the moment

I feel like the tunnels are a good scale during walk through but seem huge when I add a player model

I'm getting a weird shadow on the edge of a few of the mask brushes, not weird so much as undesirable. Small mask areas are fine, tends to be on large/long brushes (near walls). I can see a shadow being cast on the wall behind the bottom of the brush - I can try different sun light angles or putting a slope to the brush edge though this hasn't helped yet. Or look at scripting the angle of the shadow away from the wall.

Unconvinced with my sun light shader, I might try something more dramatic, it's sorta dull

Here it is so far...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Sneaks: 13 May 2019 - 02:13 PM

#14 User is offline   Sneaks Icon

•   verified donor   

Posted 20 May 2019 - 03:42 AM

View PostBladeKiller, on 29 April 2019 - 05:38 PM, said:

You don't need to include the models with the map unless they move. Static 3D models are baked into the bsp and not needed in the pk3. This would make your pk3 a bit smaller.

Hey BladeKiller/ and/or anyone reading/ All, 4 quick points of question

1. Missing texture flag on models

So I've removed the models from the .pk3 and it was all going fine until I got to re-building the basement and the toolbox models didn't work. [edit: note all other models worked fine up to that point]

model path: models/mapobjects/br_toolbox2/br_toolbox3.md3 

and

model path: models/br_toolbox2/br_toolbox4.md3 

both giving the same results.

If I include the toolbox model files in the .pk3 it fixes the issue, which makes me feel the models aren't getting 'baked' into the .bsp and so this same issue could arise with other models I'm using with future updates to UrT.

Photo of Radiant view:
Spoiler

Photo of in game missing texture:
Spoiler

All fine with these model files in .pk3 (models/mapobjects/br_toolbox2/br_toolbox3.md3)

2. I also have a general question regarding the principle of - 'brushes should never intersect'

This is fine and I always do this with structural brushes and detail brushes (clipper tool is essential for this and many other applications), but there are instances when this isn't practical, with in example a playerclip brush.

Although it's possible to make these also never intersect, it's practical and creates a better result at times to have these brushes intersect detail brushes. Is this considered ok? I haven't noticed any ill effect doing it, but I wanted to clarify

Photo of Radiant view, one large playerclip brush/box intersecting multiple smaller detail brushes
Spoiler

Photo of Radiant - filter out playerclip - non-intersecting detail brushes

Spoiler

I'll keeping doing it until I hear otherwise.

3. NOT GOOD! shadow falling below a transparent mask scripted brush

I'm getting this shadow falling on the wall behind a mask. The mask is some filth making the walls dirty below eaves. I can see a fine line on the wall, where I don't want line/shadow from the bottom of the mask brush. I've tried a few different brush application techniques, angled edges, another mask against the edge, moving closer to the wall (it's a half unit from the wall) and also lining up the shadow with the brick work which didn't truely solve the problem. It's minor but it's there. The photo has had it's contrast adjusted to highlight the issue

Is the solution in the script? can I make the shadow fall away from the wall? I haven't done this before, and might only solve the issue in some cases. Suggestions?

Spoiler

Spoiler

4. Anyone else had issues editing their minimap .tga?

This post has been edited by Sneaks: 24 June 2019 - 07:41 AM

#15 User is offline   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: iye

Posted 20 May 2019 - 12:03 PM

//edit Iye:
You might want to put your screenshots in [spoiler] tags, so this your posts get "shorter".

View PostSneaks, on 20 May 2019 - 03:42 AM, said:

1. Missing texture flag on models

So I've removed the models from the .pk3 and it was all going fine until I got to re-building the basement and the toolbox models didn't work. [edit: note all other models worked fine up to that point]

Did by any chance also remove the texture files and not only the models themselfs?

2. I also have a general question regarding the principle of - 'brushes should never intersect'

I would argue its fine to have a single (player) clip brush enclosing some more complicated structure. Stairs for example. But i have no idea about the inner workings of the compiler and whatnot, so take that with a grain of salt.

4. Anyone else had issues editing their minimap .tga?

Didnt have any the last time i did that. I recall you needed to select certain settings in the export to .tga though. E.g. for jpg you needed a certain compression rate. The default export settings in GIMP always served me well.
Sorry for my bad spelling - I am still asleep. :)

|=| Iye's UrT Addon |=| Firefox Personas |=| Maps |=|
http://www.mediafire...vk3a602hcfg.jpg

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   Sneaks Icon

•   verified donor   

Posted 20 May 2019 - 01:26 PM

View PostIye, on 20 May 2019 - 12:03 PM, said:

//edit Iye:
You might want to put your screenshots in [spoiler] tags, so this your posts get "shorter".

I'll give it a go, long time off the forum, :blink: nube
[edit: well trying to do that has created some comical results, I've never seen a picture so big on the internet. It's bigger than my monitor which is 40 inches]

mini-map
Could be this version of the GIMP [2.10.8], might be a beta or incomplete. I run updates but still can't get the .tga to open. It rates on google with no solutions yet.

The following error message displays [the GIMP 2.10.8]:

Unhandled sub-format in 'C:UsershomeDesktoput4_abaddon_wip4.tga' (type = 2, bbp = 32, alpha = 3)

It seems this version of the GIMP can't handle this particular .tga alpha channel. I didn't have problems 10 years ago, I could try an older, tried and tested version.

Apart from those annoying shadows under mask brushes, the maps still grinding along.

This post has been edited by Sneaks: 20 May 2019 - 01:57 PM

#17 User is offline   Sneaks Icon

•   verified donor   

Posted 23 June 2019 - 11:43 AM

Progress report for ut4_abaddon WIP4

mediafire download ut4_abaddon_wip4

NOTE: this is a work in progress and NOT RECOMMENDED for public servers as changes will be made that will cause conflicts later if people download two versions of the same map. This is provided for re-view and testing only.

Spoiler

I've got some questions regarding my light shader for the world.

I've made some adjustments to the shader and am liking how it's looking, better defined edges are good and it's not too dark, happy with the sun/shadow angle.

I'd like to make the shadow edges more defined if it's possible, and I'm also getting angle gitters. In some places the gitters look pretty bad. Also telegraph poles are casting weak 'splotchy' shadows, particularly across uneven ground.

I was looking at the light/shadows in ut4_prominence and think these are fantastic and more like what I'd like to achieve. I've managed to extract parts of this shader to compare/learn and it helped.

Once I have this shader sorted the map should be ready for a beta release and testing. If someone has advice on creating more defined edges to shadows and removing angle gitters it would be greatly appreciated.

example of my current shader;
Spoiler

Models and Producing models and Hey Johnny* - Sup

Loads of models in the map already, mainly Black Rayne.

I think it's time I learn to produce my own models and I'd like to borrow from other sources too. I spotted some great fire-extingisher models at teh English Bus Company - I'd like to yoink with permission if anyone sees Johnny English about. I quickly made my own but Johnny's are heaps better. - JohnnyEnglish can I borrow your fire extinguisher models?

Image top down highlighting CTF spawns
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Sneaks: 24 June 2019 - 01:31 PM

#18 User is offline   Biddle Icon

• Account: biddle
  • Main tag: fr.

Posted 26 June 2019 - 06:38 PM

It's starting to look really nice Sneaks !!

Good luck for the rest 💪

#19 User is offline   Sneaks Icon

•   verified donor   

Posted 29 June 2019 - 02:20 PM

So yeah... thanks Biddle. check it...

This feels like it's coming along well to me too. I'm doing what I can to have it presentable so the current layout can be publicly tested.

Making sure existing scripts are complete, and I feels they now are. I've solved the lighting issue of before. This was done by a series of compiles (a few days testing) each tweeking a particular setting and taking note of the result until I found the particular settings that gave a reasonable result. Changing/isolating lines of the script, and compile settings in Q3map2 Toolz. I'm reasonably happy with the lighting for the effort made [BSP -meta Vis Light -bounce 8 -fastbounce -filter -patchshadows -super 2]

The layout has changed completely since I started while retaining the feeling of being the same place. Hmm, it's not rollerball, but it is an urban industrialized landscape. Someone else can tackle the rollerball theme, we all missed the 2018 deadline though.

I'm adding details, changing textures, testing jumps, adding fire positions, expanded the number of corridors: working toward being ballanced without obvious symmetry.

Honestly a little concerned at the 'uphill/downhill' situation, although it's only one aspect of a complex layout. It's sure no Casa but you've played good games on worse than this.

I've been playing online a fair bit for relaxation and inspiration, and I've managed to draw inspiration from most maps in a creative way, drawing on the advantages I've found in other maps while not simply imitating.

Also noting the servers I'm usually on are full at 16 players a side, which most maps had been designed with 8 per side in mind, this map is something different.

I've included spawn points, and, (I hope) made enough room for this many players AND enough options for this many players moving through the map while at the same time keeping everything close and action inducing, and options to keep the game moving. A careful blend of chaos and order.

I'd like to get it out pretty soon, design started in Febuary 2019, beta 1 is on the way. I'll then continue changing textures, file size and adding models. Expect more mesh patches.

#20 User is offline   Sneaks Icon

•   verified donor   

Posted 29 June 2019 - 02:30 PM

I talked with JohnnyEnglish and we discussed moving forward, which is an exciting prospect to me,

I plan to learn making models and might need to make those extinguishers myself. In the meantime if anyone had existing models that might suit a coldwar bunker or urban terrror in general, I'm in a good mood and approachable at the moment 😃

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942