Urban Terror Forums: What are the ambitions for Resurgence ? - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are the ambitions for Resurgence ?

#1 User is offline   scylk Icon

• Account: scylk

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:29 PM

Do you plan to be a real company and form a full-time paid team at some point ?

Judging by the latest videos, the game seems almost ready for a public alpha. Do you plan to release it as a paid early access ?

Do you plan to do a fundraising, or to approach publishers ?

Have you thought about an economic model for the game ? Like in game purchases, or a charged competitive mode ?

I mean we're not in the early 2000s anymore, AAA free games are now a thing, we have Fortnite, we have Apex Legends, even Counter-Strike has gone free.
Companies invest massive amount of money to get exposure, through tournaments and streamer partnerships.

Resurgence will never gain any traction if it stays developed by volunteers, and if no investment is made in proper advertising.
Except for a handful of nostalgic players from the 4.1 era, nobody would even try to play Resurgence, let alone stick to it and play it in the long term.
By a few months after its release, the game would be just as empty as the 4.3 currently is.

So what are your real goals with this project ?
Seen from the outside, the lack of ambition of FS is just apalling. It just seems that you guys are fine with it being a side project, that in fact you've never wanted to fully dedicate to it.

#2 User is offline   criowoolf Icon

• Account: criowoolf

Posted 20 June 2019 - 05:18 PM

They need to release a public build test. Ask for help from gaming bloggers for people to notice their game. The combination of shooter and parkour is really a very interesting subject and how it is implemented in UrT. I have not met a single such game in all the years. No game company has created anything like it. :dry:
Or ask for help on kickstarter. It will be a pity if the game withers away. UrT has no analogues in its genre.

#5 User is offline   scylk Icon

Posted 25 June 2019 - 10:39 PM

Thanks for the answer FrankieV.

I'm sorry to say, but honestly I'm even more disappointed after reading it.

FrozenSand Games Ltd is already a registered company to manage all the stuff that a company needs to take care of from paying taxes as well as trademark protection.
Monetization is on the table but is not a priority beyond the current goal of first making a great game. Worked for The Facebook ;)

You somehow eluded the second part of the question, which was about forming a full-time paid team. By real company I mean a company with people working full-time for it, business goals, a strategy.
When Facebook was developed, there was nothing like it on the market. If you want an analogy with Facebook, what you guys are trying to do is develop a Facebook competitor on your free time. It just can't work.

No, Urban Terror has, and will anyways be, a “true” free to play.

I'm not questioning Resurgence being free when released. But it's not opposed to a paid early access in any way.
The point of an early access is to fund the game development. Just be clear about that, give a unique in-game item to funders upon release, and everybody would be happy.
People could still play 4.3 for free in the meantime, so there would really be nothing to complain about.
It just seems that you guys are making up excuses, that you actually don't want to take any opportunity of professionalizing Resurgence development.

Anything involving the competitive segment of Urban Terror is not our space, kind of like Nike taking over the Boston Marathon, but FS in general would love to work with 3rd party organizations in an effort to give such meta aspects of the game a buff.

Again your analogy makes no sense. Nike didn't invent running.
You guys are developing an online fps, of course you should promote its competitive segment, especially when the game has already proved its e-sport potential in its prime.
Anyway that's not the topic, I was just suggesting something like a paid ranked matchmaking. The game would be basically free for newcomers and casual players, but those who would want to get serious about it would have to support its development.

Well Urban Terror has been free to play for the past 20 years so it's nice to see the AAA companies catching up. For that matter it's nice to see that free gaming is catching up to something that we as a team have known for years; that the market value of a game is not just about the price tag.

The question is how are you going to catch up, how are you going to make Resurgence appealing now that being free is no longer a differentiating factor, and that you'll have AAA games as direct competitors.

I don't know what you mean by appalling. Can you expand?

I mean terrible, depressing, frustrating.

The thing is though Resurgence is not a product but a labour of love, so even if it does tank as far as the idea of box office goes, we, on the team, are having a hell of a lot of fun making it.

Personally to have a hell of a lot of fun with my pants on.

Even if we are left with the nostalgic players that's good enough for us.

This is what I mean. All you guys seems to care about is having fun, adding some lines on your resume or developing new skills.
It doesn't matter if the game goes unnoticed when it's released, it doesn't matter if the playerbase is as non-existent as 4.3 one, it doesn't matter if it's been 5 years and there's not even an alpha out. You're having fun.

I just don't get it. Why are you guys so stubborn about being volunteers ? Why do you fail to acknowledge that it simply doesn't work, even when you can't release anything after 5 years ?
In the meantime, Battalion 1944 have been kickstarted, early-accessed, AND released.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#7 User is offline   scylk Icon

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:17 AM

View Postinvis, on 26 June 2019 - 05:21 AM, said:

It would seem that you are wondering why we are not trying to procure financing to become a full time developer with a brick and mortar studio. One who pays a cadre of professionals to take Urban Terror into the freemium, or retail space. Is this the question that you are asking?

Put in another way :

You're still volunteers after 5 years of development and nothing released. Isn't it time to stop lying to yourselves and the community pretending that you have any ambition for Urban Terror ?
Isn't it time to admit that all you really care about is having fun with a side project, and that it doesn't really matter if nothing comes out of it ?

How else can you explain that we're seeing an indie UE4 online fps being completed in 4 years ?
What is so different with Urban Terror, that despite having a great gameplay, a community and an esport potential, it hasn't made any progress in 10 years ?

This post has been edited by scylk: 26 June 2019 - 10:39 AM

#10 User is offline   scylk Icon

Posted 27 June 2019 - 04:16 PM

View Postinvis, on 26 June 2019 - 06:08 PM, said:

I'm sorry I think I am a little confused, which is it, 10 years, 5 years, or 4 years?

I can see why the development pace is being so slow, if this is enough to confuse you.

4 years is the time it took for Battalion 1944 to be released after its Kickstarter campaign. This is an example of what can be done with an UE4 fps when the developers actually try to make something out of it.

10 years is the time in which Urban Terror hasn't made any progress. Yes, it peaked approximatively in 2009 in terms of playerbase and community, which is what really matters.
https://trends.googl...q=%2Fm%2F01r8wt

5 years is the time I thought you've been working on Resurgence, but apparently I was wrong. I've been told that it's actually closer to 7 years by now, as the decision to switch on UE4 was made in fall 2013.

By the way, developers deriding me instead of trying to address my questions actually tells a lot.

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942