Urban Terror Forums: problem connecting with Monkey's Playground - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

problem connecting with Monkey's Playground Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Nean Icon

• Account: nean

Posted 30 October 2019 - 10:56 PM

For the last weeks it has been absolutely impossible to me to connect with Monkey's Playground TDM server. It loads the map and then nothing else happens, ever. I've tried everything i came up with, network settings, refreshing server list..

But i can connect with any other server, with out any problem.

And as far as i know, i haven't been banned from anywhere.

Running the stable version on linux.

Help please, it's my favourite server. Actually right now I barely play UT because of it.

Any idea?

#2 User is offline   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: iye

Posted 30 October 2019 - 11:38 PM

Your version of the map being played might be wrong, but that is rather unlikely if its a persistet issue.
It might also be an issue with the auth system, so maybe try without auth.
Another thing that comes to mind is having too many custom maps. At some point (in the 200s) things start to get weird.

I have heard of something like this before, but not sure how it was resolved.

Here are a few things that might help to find the cause of this:

* When exactly does it stop to do anything? On "Awaiting Snapshot"?
* enable logging (/logfile 1)
* Try and contact the server admin(s), maybe they can help.
* Maybe ask on the official discord, some1 there might know more.
Sorry for my bad spelling - I am still asleep. :)

|=| Iye's UrT Addon |=| Firefox Personas |=| Maps |=|
http://www.mediafire...vk3a602hcfg.jpg

#3 User is offline   TheRealFubar Icon

Posted 31 October 2019 - 06:42 PM

Unfortunately the owner of the server has known of this problem for some of us for a long time and chooses not to fix it Posted Image
m4nkeym0nkey@gmail.com

This post has been edited by TheRealFubar: 31 October 2019 - 06:44 PM

#4 User is offline   Nean Icon

• Account: nean

Posted 31 October 2019 - 07:05 PM

View PostIye, on 30 October 2019 - 11:38 PM, said:

Your version of the map being played might be wrong, but that is rather unlikely if its a persistet issue.
It might also be an issue with the auth system, so maybe try without auth.
Another thing that comes to mind is having too many custom maps. At some point (in the 200s) things start to get weird.

I have heard of something like this before, but not sure how it was resolved.

Here are a few things that might help to find the cause of this:

* When exactly does it stop to do anything? On "Awaiting Snapshot"?
* enable logging (/logfile 1)
* Try and contact the server admin(s), maybe they can help.
* Maybe ask on the official discord, some1 there might know more.

First of all, thank you for your answer.

I did try without auth and any other way i could think of. And yes, Awaiting Snapshot was the point were i was eternaly waiting.

Funny though, i just tried and i did connect for the first time in a couple of months. Coincidence? Or this post had something to do? I don't know, I will try to play several times this weekend and see what happens. And I will update this thread.

View PostTheRealFubar, on 31 October 2019 - 06:42 PM, said:

Unfortunately the owner of the server has known of this problem for some of us for a long time and chooses not to fix it Posted Image
m4nkeym0nkey@gmail.com

Thanks for the feedback. Let's see what happens in the next few days.

#5 User is offline   m4nkeym0nkey Icon

• Account: m4nkeym0nkey
  • Main tag: mud|

Posted 03 November 2019 - 11:49 AM

Hello!

Sorry to hear you're having trouble connecting. I feel your pain...

First though, TheRealFubar's comment 'chooses not to fix it' is inaccurate. The problem originates in UrTs code and is inaccessible to me. I've tried over the years to mitigate it but without the code available to pinpoint and fix the issue (and others!) I don't choose not to fix it, I can only try and minimise the problem for the vast majority of players.

When I add new maps, I test locally first. The more maps that are added, the more often an interaction between them causes this problem. I could add one new map to the server or my local maps and get the exact same issue. Then again I could add ten maps and have no issues. It makes adding maps a very time consuming process to find combinations that mean people can usually connect most of the time. Of course, there's always edge cases, especially when both the (possibly changing) client side and server side have to play nice in that respect.

I believe this problem stems from how files are processed within the PK3s, (precedence on duplicates etc). Again, without access to the source code, it's just a guess.

Of course, did I mention this would all be much easier for us to troubleshoot/debug/fix with access to the code, but that's a well-worn path to 'nope'.

From what you describe, I don't *think* you've been banned. There has been some trouble lately with privilege escalation that's forced me to add a load of ip's and GUIDs to the ban lists. Most of the ip's were (surprisingly ...not) for VPNs. I've had to disable some code for the moment to make updates. Can't say much more without giving clues to the attacker(s), but it should be enabled again soon.

That said, here's some things to try in addition to what's already been suggested by others. I can't guarantee any will work but it's the type of stuff I've had to do in the past to troubleshoot the server.

- Interfering maps in the downloads directory (or added to q3ut4 dir) have caused problems for me in the past, especially if I've downloaded maps when playing on other servers. If this happens often (or always, as in this case), try temporarily moving the files out of this directory and attempt to connect. If it works, you can try moving them back in batches or just let them download again. If you had no problems connecting before, maybe move the latest few maps downloaded by date in batches and go from there.

- Let me (privately) know your ip and other connection info if possible so I can check the various logs for clues.

- Try a separate, clean install of the game with a different home path and see if that works.

Believe me, if I *could* fix it, I would as it would save me days worth of testing when adding new maps. Without access to the source, I can't even try to address it properly.

Another idea I had to avoid this problem was to drop all the maps and have just one stock map in the mapcycle and run it 24/7... maybe Eagle... I'm sure no-one's thought of that before... not sure it'd be popular though ;)

Let me know how it goes!

M :)
-

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   TheRealFubar Icon

Posted 07 November 2019 - 05:36 PM

Sorry, "chooses not to fix it" was probably not the best wordage, it's just frustrating and I like your server very much but it's the only one I know of that I can't get on. Posted Image

#8 User is offline   m4nkeym0nkey Icon

• Account: m4nkeym0nkey
  • Main tag: mud|

Posted 17 November 2019 - 06:56 PM

Hiya :)

Thanks for the link. I appreciate all the work you (and others) have done on the engine.

It might not be obvious but, I've actually been running a custom server binary for a long time now, including others' patches and my own to try and mitigate these problems. Unfortunately, without the UrT VM source available ('awaiting snapshot') it's hard to debug/completely fix the problem. I could hack it but I can't be bothered hexediting and I spend too much time on C and assembly as it is.

If you have any pointers, then I would be more than happy to investigate further. Obviously, it would be nice to have the VM source available to cover all bases, but...

Apart from this problem, I've tried to introduce a number of new features but as you will be aware, without the corresponding code in the VM, options are very limited.

Again, thanks for your work on this.

M

View PostTheRealFubar, on 07 November 2019 - 05:36 PM, said:

Sorry, "chooses not to fix it" was probably not the best wordage, it's just frustrating and I like your server very much but it's the only one I know of that I can't get on. Posted Image

No worries mate :) Perhaps having a clean install as mentioned *might* help. Believe me if I could fix it - i would.

M

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942