Urt comeback ? Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   wads Icon

• Account: wads

Posted 03 March 2020 - 03:31 AM

View PostMrJamesLooser, on 04 February 2020 - 02:25 PM, said:

In that case, I must be very retro.
Not a valuable vintage collectible though :/
In very bad shape too as stated :D
Only played through late 2.x (can't really remember version) to 4.0 or 4.1.

I prolly get flak for this, but 3.7 (or was it 3.3?? Darn, can't remember!)
was and still is my favorite :blink:
Reason being, I mostly played Uptown and Docks (some Turnpike and Casa too),
and on 3.7 (or was it 3.3 still) I think were the best versions of Uptown
and Docks. Not just my opinion, but many of the players that played back then
thought so too. When 4.0 came, Uptown survived, but Docks just was never the
same or even close. Somehow the Docks just didn't port well to the new version.
It didn't have the same feeling. Uptown was a bit same at first, but it wasn't
so bad after some time.

Oh, and it was almost only TS for me with some occasional CTF rounds.
On 4.0 (or possibly 4.1) it changed more to CTF since good TS servers
died out. Remember having botter problems a lot back then? I think I quit
cos of botters.

Was never in any clan, only played on pubs, even if I was asked many times.
Clans and scheduled playing is just not my thing. Prolly get flak for this
too :tongue:

Sorry for blabbering but somehow I just feel like explaining myself :wacko:

Edit: Added the 3.3 notes, cos I started to doubt myself. Oh well, it's so long
ago and I'm a fossile already, so maybe you understand... :unsure:

2.3 before the programmers at the time messed up the hits

This post has been edited by wads: 03 March 2020 - 03:32 AM

#12 User is offline   wads Icon

• Account: wads

Posted 03 March 2020 - 03:34 AM

URT will never make a full comeback while the hit code stops like this ok for EU but sux for the UK hits are random one min your a god next your cant hit the brick wall

AKA (NAVYSEALUK)

#13 Guest_mosaic

Posted 03 March 2020 - 11:06 PM

View Postwads, on 03 March 2020 - 03:34 AM, said:

URT will never make a full comeback while the hit code stops like this ok for EU but sux for the UK hits are random one min your a god next your cant hit the brick wall

AKA (NAVYSEALUK)

This is not EU/UK issue. The hit code in UrT engine is screwed. That's all. Noone like the game where skills mean nothing and hits are random.

#14 User is offline   bacardii Icon

• Account: bacardii

Posted 09 March 2020 - 10:50 PM

i just played my first game after 4 or so years and the game does not feel the same at all, might be another few years before i play again
[img]http://cache.www.gam...FFFF_000000.png[/img]
#x6 on gamesurge
www.x6ix.com

#15 User is offline   m4nkeym0nkey Icon

• Account: m4nkeym0nkey
  • Main tag: mud|

Posted 10 March 2020 - 07:36 PM

View Postbacardii, on 09 March 2020 - 10:50 PM, said:

i just played my first game after 4 or so years and the game does not feel the same at all, might be another few years before i play again

What exactly does not feel the same? If you've not played in 4 years, then skills may not be the same etc. I agree the game has changed and in some ways for the worse. But it's still the one I fall back on to play.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   MrJamesLooser Icon

Posted 24 March 2020 - 09:04 PM

View Postmosaic, on 03 March 2020 - 11:06 PM, said:

This is not EU/UK issue. The hit code in UrT engine is screwed. That's all. Noone like the game where skills mean nothing and hits are random.

Yes and no. True that it's not EU/UK issue and true that the hit code doesn't work as wanted (consistently) all the time and it does annoy a lot at times, but then again, skills still mean a lot even in this game. Skill also means higher ability to adjust to certain variables, if nothing else, quitting and coming back another day :)

Another example being, there is a "funny" thing about UrT, at least to my experience, when one gun stops hitting, usually changing to a different gun (or weapon mode!) helps. Gotta just find the right gun that works. Doesn't work all the time. Seems like when certain circumstances occur, this happens. What those circumstances are, I wouldn't know.

I can only guess it has somehow something to do with the different firing rates and bullet "velocity" of different guns. For example LR-300 has very high firing rate, but AK has slower while M4 is somewhere in between. Same with secondary weapons like MP5K vs UMP. And then the bullet velocity of SR-8 vs PSG-1. Sometimes I just can't hit anything with PSG-1, specially if using a silencer (= even less velocity), and that's my most favourite sniper weapon, but when I change to SR-8 it's just boom boom boom and vice versa.

I've yet to play FPS game where the hits are consistent all the time. It seems it's just very hard to create a flawless one. Even new games, developed with lots of money, tend to have issues with consistence. I'm not saying they wouldn't have better code than Urt, since they do, a lot, but even they have issues at times.

I'm sure these mobile internet connections don't help either - I don't think the code was optimized to handle them, as it's pretty old. This is all just speculation though.

#18 Guest_mosaic

Posted 18 April 2020 - 09:20 PM

Thanks for the explanation of the complexity of this issue, Frankie V.

#19 User is offline   Gudul Icon

• Account: gudul

Posted 19 April 2020 - 11:07 PM

To answer the question, CTF servers in 5 VS 5 with players on it. It was and will remain the best fun video experience I have known :biggrin: , but without players it is a dead game.

#20 User is offline   tHesHeep Icon

• Account: thesheep

Posted 29 April 2020 - 04:13 PM

Hi Frankie V.

What is your take on the issue stated by MrJamesLooser?

Another example being, there is a "funny" thing about UrT, at least to my experience, when one gun stops hitting, usually changing to a different gun (or weapon mode!) helps. Gotta just find the right gun that works. Doesn't work all the time. Seems like when certain circumstances occur, this happens. What those circumstances are, I wouldn't know.

I experience the exact same thing.
One could argue that its a placebo effect, where you expect the new weapon to improve your aim and because of that, you aim better. I dont believe that.
I have met top players passing the advice out of experience.
Its like a buffer filling up and when full, hits are all over the place.

Sometimes hits behave rather arbitrary. I often get groin or leg hits when the only visible part of the enemy is the head. Emeny standing behind wall, not moving.
I also sometimes have the weapon keep firing 3-4 shots after I release fire button. Many team mates have died due to that malfunction.
Or have to hover the cross hair on an enemy 2-300 ms after I fire, to ensure the hit lands. If I move the aim too early, I miss the shot. It disappears into the big emptiness.
Or the boomerang nade that makes a U-turn mid air and rushes back to explode right in my face. Again if I move my aim too early after releasing the nade.

i5 3570, GTX660 Ti, ping 48 ms and 125 fps.

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942