Urban Terror Forums: 2 questions about starting/managing server - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 questions about starting/managing server Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   zerox4 Icon

• Account: zerox4

Posted 24 March 2020 - 10:38 AM

ok so

1. why my server try to overwrite my game settings?
im starting game just from E:GryUrbanTerrorQuake3-UrT-Ded.exe +exec server.cfg

why it want to overwrite q3config.cfg? well i for sure dont want it to do it since it resets my controls and i was forced to change q3config.cfg properties to READ ONLY

screenshot here
Posted Image

ok i just noticed launching game alone will try to do exact same thing
https://i.imgur.com/d1kJcd3.png
but in this case if i uncheck (READ ONLY) in properties it does not change my controls

so WTH?

2. i run server just to experience some jump maps i dont see anymore on any server
and 1 thing i noticed is that on some servers i have unlimited ammo
how to enable that?

i was trying to google it but all i can find is something about enabling cheats? and devmap
which i was able to run its like /devmap mapname
and then when i join server i see on loading screen in lower left corner that cheats are enabled but it still uses ammo

but im pretty sure on other servers i played (WITH JUMP MAPS) its just some kind of feature/option enabled and not just cheat in dev map mode

This post has been edited by zerox4: 24 March 2020 - 11:14 AM

----------------------------
( >'.')>

#2 User is online   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: iye

Posted 24 March 2020 - 11:21 AM

1. why my server try to overwrite my game settings?

The dedicated server also uses the q3config to store its settings. In case you make any changes while the server is running, those need to be stored. The game can only write out the whole config file, so it cannot edit your server.cfg

This is one of the reasons you are not supposed to run a server out of your client directory.

and 1 thing i noticed is that on some servers i have unlimited ammo how to enable that?

As far as i know unlimited ammo is not a feature that you can enable, but requires a server side modification. The best you can do with cheats enabled is give yourself ammo using a command/keybind.
Sorry for my bad spelling - I am still asleep. :)

|=| Iye's UrT Addon |=| Firefox Personas |=| Maps |=|
http://www.mediafire...vk3a602hcfg.jpg

#3 User is offline   zerox4 Icon

• Account: zerox4

Posted 24 March 2020 - 02:38 PM

View PostIye, on 24 March 2020 - 11:21 AM, said:

The dedicated server also uses the q3config to store its settings. In case you make any changes while the server is running, those need to be stored. The game can only write out the whole config file, so it cannot edit your server.cfg

This is one of the reasons you are not supposed to run a server out of your client directory.

As far as i know unlimited ammo is not a feature that you can enable, but requires a server side modification. The best you can do with cheats enabled is give yourself ammo using a command/keybind.

as for ammo i just wanted to spam weapons while jumping instead of saving and loading location after dying to regain ammo but i think i can live with that

as for q3config.cfg file i found workaround since i dont want to guess if map i wanna play is in server map folder or not i just want them to be in same folder where all downloaded maps are so i wont need to care about it ever again

but thx anyway now i know not to dig deeper into the problem

if any1 have same issue like me here is my workaround with batch script

!!! BUT BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING JUST IN CASE BACKUP q3config.cfg FILE !!!

1. open text editor and paste there what i write below in BOLD YELLOW text (i gonna explain what each line do at the end)

cd "q3ut4"
if not exist "CONFIG" mkdir CONFIG
xcopy /y "q3config.cfg" "CONFIG"
cd ..
start "" "Quake3-UrT-Ded.exe" +exec server.cfg
cd "q3ut4"
cd "CONFIG"
ping 127.0.0.1 -n 4 > nul
xcopy /y "q3config.cfg" ..
Exit

2. click file>save as> and save it as .bat for example Urban Terror Server.bat (you could just download any .bat file from internet right click it and hit edit then just paste my script into it and hit ctrl+s and it will still work)
3. place it in urban terror main folder same place where you have Quake3-UrT.exe and Quake3-UrT-Ded.exe
4. just launch it and enjoy

for ppl that dont want to see command prompt window and care to convert it to exe so they can set some cool icon (tons of them on google images)
download https://bat-to-exe-c...en.softonic.com Bat to Exe Converter

all you need to do with it is
in batch file well chose batch file
in visibility choose invisible application
now go to version information tab
in icon file just select icon of your choosing
and hit compile
its done just put it in urban terror main folder like in step 3

as for script what it does i gonna explain function of each line (but in short of it it just copy your q3config.cfg file to different folder then wait some time (which you can adjust) while server is loading and is overwriting q3config.cfg with default one after which it copy it back to q3ut4 folder so everything looks like it was untouched)

cd "q3ut4" <- from where bat file was executed it tells it to go to q3ut4 folder
if not exist "CONFIG" mkdir CONFIG <- in q3ut4 folder if there is no CONFIG folder it will just create it if it does it will just skip this line
xcopy /y "q3config.cfg" "CONFIG" <- copy q3config.cfg file and paste it into CONFIG folder where /y means if it exist overwrite it without asking for confirmation
cd .. <- CD mean go to folder while .. mean one above so we are back in urban terror main folder
start "" "Quake3-UrT-Ded.exe" +exec server.cfg <- start mean execute this line and proceed with rest of the script ("") this actually refers to IN CURRENT DIRECTORY launch Quake3-UrT-Ded.exe applying server.cfg file (note that quotation signs "" alone are for CURRENT DIRECTORY while "program.exe" quotation signs containing some file name are there just for script to read whole file name)
cd "q3ut4" <- CD means go to folder q3ut4 in this case
cd "CONFIG" <- CD go to folder CONFIG
ping 127.0.0.1 -n 4 > nul <- this whole line is just delay command for script to wait 4 secs in this case you can change to anything you want in case your server loads longer or faster than mine for example ping 127.0.0.1 -n 10 > nul will make script wait for 10 seconds
xcopy /y "q3config.cfg" .. <- again its copy q3config.cfg file and paste it here .. means go one folder above so we go from CONFIG folder to q3ut4 folder
Exit <- i let you guess what it means

i hope someone will find it helpful

This post has been edited by zerox4: 24 March 2020 - 03:56 PM

----------------------------
( >'.')>

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942