Advertisement
  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Not coming soon. Rate Topic: -----

#1 Guest_n00b

Posted 20 June 2005 - 04:46 AM

I've got a sequel to Revenge Of The n00bs blocked out and ready to begin production, but as I'm sure you'll all be crushed to hear, it's going to have to be mothballed for a while. Reason is that I'm sick and bloody tired of cl_avidemo filling my hard drive with 200 gigabytes of targa files and not even giving me a reacharound (to say nothing of the fact that it doesn't record sound).

I've been looking high and low, and there just isn't a fraps-like tool for linux, so rather than continue bitching and moaning, I've decided to make it my summer project to build such a program.

In the meantime, I may choose to relieve stress by running around with full kevlar, medkit, and negev and continue to record demos. If you see me, smile! You're on candid camera! 8)

#2 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 20 June 2005 - 05:29 AM

if you only need parts of a demo you can use timescale and avi demo bindings on the F keys.

#3 Guest_n00b

Posted 20 June 2005 - 06:02 AM

Can you do a negative timescale value to rewind? Still doesn't add sound, and is utterly too much data anyhow...

#4 User is offline   Woekele Icon

•   former FS member   
    Public Relations
  • Account: woekele

Posted 20 June 2005 - 06:12 AM

Wellllllll.....then I would connect a VCR drive to your tv-out and record everything :o Then use your TV-in to capture from the VCR into a vid-editting program.

dunno if you have tv-out and in though :P

#5 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 20 June 2005 - 06:51 AM

you can't rewind no, I don't know the high limit of positive values but it's fast enough to go where you need unless you miss the spot. low values can be used for high quality slow motion scenes.

edit: for example

bind F10 "timescale 1" // play
bind F11 "timescale 0.2" // slow motion
bind F12 "timescale 10" // fast forward

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   No|Leaf|Clover (old) Icon

• LocationNew York, USA

Posted 20 June 2005 - 08:31 PM

200 GB?!

Hand of Destiny was a hair over 10 minutes long, and my uncompressed sequences with sound occupied between 40 and 50 gigs. Are you recording footage that you don't need?

#7 User is offline   HoboHumpinSlut (old) Icon

Posted 20 June 2005 - 08:37 PM

resolution? 640x480 really is enough for making vids. (except for zoom-in scenes maybe)

#8 Guest_n00b

Posted 20 June 2005 - 09:49 PM

200 GB?!

Hand of Destiny was a hair over 10 minutes long, and my uncompressed sequences with sound occupied between 40 and 50 gigs. Are you recording footage that you don't need?
How did you get sound?

And I was exaggerating a bit wrt 200 gigs, but not too much. I'm doing start/stop recording on a BUNCH of demos (remember, this is a negev-only frag vid, so it does take a while to get six minutes worth of kills :wink: ), and since it takes for bloody ever to get back to the right part of the demo, I just hit startrecord anytime it looks/sounds like a firefight is going to start. I'd say each demo I do this with generates about 25 gigs of targa files, which I then quickly edit down into a bunch of sequentially-named AVIs with only the 'good bits' and then delete all those dadburn pictures. Why the hell did they pick TARGA of all things to record these? Oh well.

Anyhow, the tool I need doesn't exist, and so I think I'm going to scratch that itch first...

#9 User is offline   No|Leaf|Clover (old) Icon

• LocationNew York, USA

Posted 20 June 2005 - 10:31 PM

I used fraps for Hand of Destiny. I am not using it for PremonitioN because it cannot give the quality I desire. So for PremonitioN, I'm doing it the old fashioned way: cl_avidemo to tga sequences and recording the sound through my audigy 2, then syncing them together.

See, you and I go about recording from the demo in different ways. I -only- capture the parts of the demo that I know I will use, and I leave one or two seconds of excess on either side of the cut. Thus, the hard disk isn't flooded with unnecessary stuff. I can see how a negev frag vid requires an assload of demos (trust me, I know what that's all about...I have nearly 200 demos worth of material, most of which is from other people, for PremonitioN). That said, you really don't need to record the extra stuff. Save your poor hard drive. :P

#10 Guest_n00b

Posted 21 June 2005 - 12:48 AM

Sorry if I wasn't clear - I have only been recording the bits that I thought were going to be good. Since demo playback controls are ass, this means I end up dumping a lot of firefights where I, how do we say this... fail to create memorable material :). End result of this is a long demo can and does result in twenty gigs or so of targas, which I then dump to an avi before deleting.

Anyhow, the vidcap software I'm (already) working on will be able to make much higher-quality video than fraps, and won't be restricted to wma format - basically, you get a choices of installed codecs and choose which one you wanna use.

Naturally, it'll be Linux-only, although it will probably work in OSX with a small amount of tweaking.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942