• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

LINUX heads, whatta ya think a this? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   fragomatic Icon

• Account: fragomatic

Posted 25 April 2004 - 10:15 PM

We're all aware of the Linux version of ET right. Now There is a G5 (Mac) version of Yellowdog currently in development. Theres also 3 other available versions of Linux (that i cant remember) for the rest of the Macs.

Could the Linux version of ET, that you guys use, run on a Mac Using the Linux OS ?.

What kind of problems/obstacles would there be.

How difficult do you think those problems would be to overcome?.

#2 User is offline   HoboHumpinSlut (old) Icon

Posted 25 April 2004 - 10:44 PM

nope

as ET for linux aint a ppc version ;)

#3 Guest_frogsarefriendly

Posted 25 April 2004 - 10:59 PM

Mac = Motorola/IBM PowerPC CPU
PC = x86 CPU

You'd need to emulate the x86 instruction set on the PPC which would be SLOW, REALLY SLOW.

#4 User is offline   L3mMinG (old) Icon

Posted 26 April 2004 - 02:35 AM

The problem is mainly that the source code could be compiled on any platform, but the engine itself just like quake3 is pre-compiled, which means it was made for a special cpu (as mentioned above).
Now if this engine were to be recompiled for mac os x which essentially is a unix variant, I think it would work with not too many alterations to the code (depends how many assembler functions they used). Since the engine costs great money to license, the only people that could do this perfectly are splash damage who owns the et engine sources.

#5 User is offline   fragomatic Icon

• Account: fragomatic

Posted 26 April 2004 - 06:07 AM

i was afraid of something like that.
too bad im not a coder

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   HoboHumpinSlut (old) Icon

Posted 27 April 2004 - 01:23 AM

The problem is mainly that the source code could be compiled on any platform, but the engine itself just like quake3 is pre-compiled, which means it was made for a special cpu (as mentioned above).
Now if this engine were to be recompiled for mac os x which essentially is a unix variant, I think it would work with not too many alterations to the code (depends how many assembler functions they used). Since the engine costs great money to license, the only people that could do this perfectly are splash damage who owns the et engine sources.

i think there may still be problems with several calls to libraries not available or different on OSX.
as u pointed out right OSX aint a linux variant but a unix variant.

#7 User is offline   L3mMinG (old) Icon

Posted 27 April 2004 - 02:46 AM

Well sure but as for the libraries, mac os x is more bsd family and I have played urban terror on freeBSD on my pc, so the libraries shouldn't be that much of a problem imo, of course I never seen what mac os insides look like and some friend of mine stated something about libraries but then again he doesn't know linux or freebsd :?

#8 User is offline   HoboHumpinSlut (old) Icon

Posted 27 April 2004 - 03:24 AM

i think i heard something about OpenGL being implemented differently on another discussion about porting ET to OSX...i am not quite sure about that though...and as usual....i dont know shit about what im talkin ;)

#9 User is offline   L3mMinG (old) Icon

Posted 27 April 2004 - 04:17 AM

Hmm OpenGL might be implemented differently, but since it's a standard, all the functions would remain the same, meaning they just need to alter a tiny bit of code along the edges to make this work without touching anything engine-related imo....

This is why openGL games are a lot easier to port, it's standard as opposed to DirectX which is just mswindows specific.

#10 User is offline   HoboHumpinSlut (old) Icon

Posted 27 April 2004 - 12:13 PM

k...i prolly was wrong about opengl...athough i think i heard something like that...
looks like its the qvm not used with ET.

http://www.insidemac...?ArticleID=9129

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942