Advertisement
  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

LINUX heads, whatta ya think a this? Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   L3mMinG (old) Icon

Posted 27 April 2004 - 03:32 PM

Interesting. Afaik the quake3 engine acts as a virtual machine for the gamecode which is a bit like java programs running on a VM. This is why urban terror can have 1 version which is cross platform, just like java apps.

Now when looking at wolfenstein ET, I noticed the qvm files are indeed as pointed in that article not present. Instead there are dynamic objects (.so for linux, .dll for windows) in the pak-files. This means that the gamecode will need to be compiled on each platform in order to get the correct gamecode.

A quick look through that gamecode for ET, which was released (not enignecode, just game) reveals some differences between the windows and linux version, considering the difference in compiler between windows (Visual C++) and linux (gcc 3) this is understandable. Since gcc is the compiler used to build panther (OS X.3) the difference between a mac and linux version shouldn't be quite as big (considering mac basically being like freeBSD). You still would need the engine for mac though, but considering that article it could be done.

FreeBSD has certain libraries which allow linux programs to run on it (like quake3) with no speed loss. Of course this works fine x86-x86 but running the x86 linux version on mac isn't possible. I don't know if mac os x has this kind of compatibility libraries for ELF binaries or not, but you still would need an engine recompile so I guess it's not all that important.

I sure hope you mac people won't be left out of this :(

#12 User is offline   HoboHumpinSlut (old) Icon

Posted 27 April 2004 - 04:45 PM

I sure hope you mac people won't be left out of this :(

that is what i hope as well

ps L3mMinG: u seem to have a bit more understanding of the subject than lil' hobo

#13 User is offline   L3mMinG (old) Icon

Posted 27 April 2004 - 05:24 PM

Unfortunately not enough to hack a port to mac :(

#14 User is offline   HoboHumpinSlut (old) Icon

Posted 28 April 2004 - 12:37 AM

wine on osx? maybe someday: http://darwine.opendarwin.org/

#15 User is offline   L3mMinG (old) Icon

Posted 28 April 2004 - 07:19 PM

Well this would still involve x86 instruction set being emulated by the mac cpu so it won't be as good as wine on x86 :(

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   HoboHumpinSlut (old) Icon

Posted 29 April 2004 - 12:10 AM

that is right...but it seems they already implemented that iirc

#17 User is offline   fragomatic Icon

• Account: fragomatic

Posted 30 April 2004 - 01:52 AM

So how could you look at the code and compare the differences?
could you take the PPC version of Q3 and the x86 version, turn it into text of some kind and then compare it line by line?

#18 User is offline   L3mMinG (old) Icon

Posted 30 April 2004 - 01:59 PM

The ET game code sources (the etmain mod if you will) is available for download. If you want to disassemble the quake3 executable you could be able to read through the assembler code, but this is just cpu instructions so it won't do :?

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942