Login | Register 
Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

quake3 source code Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   CorlacolII (old) Icon

Posted 04 September 2005 - 02:31 AM

Since the quake3 source code has just been released it's now possible to build your own binaries.

The famous icculus project who also maintained the quake2 code now also has a svn repository for quake3.

http://icculus.org/quake3/

And right now I am building it as well. I would love it when the the urban terror team would do a few specialized builds of their own which could be added to the PB database so we could play with them :cool:

#2 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 04 September 2005 - 07:19 AM

nice, they're already upgrading it. alsa for example is said there to work. no pb though, so, that's of little use for most playable urt servers. however, that's all good news since I was afraid till your post that nobody is doing anything publically with it. btw, it was already buildable from the first release after a few easy hacks as well as able to run urban terror.

ps. you should have posted that to the general or r&r forum, it doesn't compile only on linux.

I would love it when the the urban terror team would do a few specialized builds of their own which could be added to the PB database so we could play with them :cool:

how would that happen?

#3 User is offline   CorlacolII (old) Icon

Posted 04 September 2005 - 09:41 PM

I would love it when the the urban terror team would do a few specialized builds of their own which could be added to the PB database so we could play with them :cool:

how would that happen?

Asking kindly may help. :cool:

On a sidenote. To make switching between various build easier I did the following:

cd /usr/local/games
mv quake3 quake3.orig
mkdir quake3
cd quake3
lndir ../quake.orig

And now install like mentioned in the readme. If you want to run the original version again you can easily switch with:
cd /usr/local/games
mv quake3 quake3.new
mv quake3.orig quake3

Easy does it :cool:

#4 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 05 September 2005 - 06:53 AM

how would that happen?

Asking kindly may help. :cool:

btw,

I figured it was a nice opportunity to get to their mailing list and do a simple question that bugged me for long, if it's possible or anyone's planning to make a gpl anticheater for it.

According to them it turns out giving out the source would be nearly impossible because of the same reason open DRM is nearly impossible as described here: http://www.boingboin...24/drm_ssl.html

Therefore they think it could be either done with closed source at least in part or with open source but, doing most of the checks server-side, needing lots of tedious hard work for it.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942