Advertisement
  • (5 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

A seemingly insurmountable problem Rate Topic: -----

#21 Guest_Caffeine

Posted 08 January 2006 - 06:26 AM

choppy video was like instant freezies out of nowhere, not frame drops, a complete freeze every 10 mins or sth. the version was from when I posted that.

Does the following patch fix the problem? (Run "make clean" and do a full rebuild)

--- icculus-quake3/code/unix/Makefile.orig      2006-01-08 02:13:29.000000000 -0500
+++ icculus-quake3/code/unix/Makefile   2006-01-08 02:07:49.000000000 -0500
@@ -183,7 +183,7 @@
     HAVE_VM_COMPILED = true
   else
   ifeq ($(ARCH),i386)
-    OPTIMIZE = -O3 -march=i686 -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math 
+    OPTIMIZE = -O3 -march=i586 -mtune=i686 -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math 
       -funroll-loops -falign-loops=2 -falign-jumps=2 
       -falign-functions=2 -fstrength-reduce
     HAVE_VM_COMPILED=true

Edit: This problem has apparently been worked around (i586 is the default again, as with the 1.32b source).

#22 Guest_Caffeine

Posted 02 February 2006 - 09:30 PM

Bump since I've updated the first post. I still want to see more servers that aren't running PB... although according to |it|fs, cheaters come out of the woodwork on popular servers. :(

#23 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 03 February 2006 - 08:20 AM

s/popular/popular non-pb

#24 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 03 February 2006 - 08:21 AM

[quote name='"Caffeine"]Edit: This problem has apparently been worked around (i586 is the default again' date=' as with the 1.32b source).[/quote']
i confirmed your discovery in #icculus.org/quake3 before a couple of weeks, and since we were two, i suppose it looked a good idea to timbo at the time.

someone at that time tossed the idea that the virtual machine works in i586 calls or sth and that may have caused the weird behavior.

#25 Guest_Caffeine

Posted 03 February 2006 - 07:17 PM

s/popular/popular non-pb

That was sort of implied by the previous sentence.

BTW, you're missing a slash on the end.

someone at that time tossed the idea that the virtual machine works in i586 calls or sth and that may have caused the weird behavior.

I don't think anyone really knows what's causing the issue yet, and it seems to only happen on Intel CPUs. I'm guessing that ID or Splash Damage found the culprit and fixed it for ET (which is Q3-based), though.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#26 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 03 February 2006 - 07:47 PM

[quote name='"Caffeine"]BTW' date=' you're missing a slash on the end.[/quote']
I didn't say what implementation of regular expressions I used :p

#27 Guest_Caffeine

Posted 05 February 2006 - 01:16 AM

[quote name='"Caffeine"]I'm finding myself switching between two different clients. I want this to stop -- I want to use only one client' date=' and that won't be idQ3. I'm thoroughly sick of my box being tracked and probed by PB, anyways.[/quote']
Well, I've solved my problem; I'll delete idQ3.

Now at least I won't be globally tracked by parties other than ID. As it is, if you play on PB servers, you may be tracked by ID (strictauth), Even Balance (PB), server admins, and private or public PB GUID databases (public ones being GuidDB.org and runDMC.se/guids/). The kind of data being collected is: PB GUIDs, IP addresses, aliases used, and time data for how long you run Q3 and play on server x.

This really makes me want to avoid all PB-infected games in the future... Unfortunately, that means I won't be playing quite a few online games. But it'll be worth it, I suppose; I'll be more productive doing other things and not leaking potentially sensitive/valuable data all over the Internet to parties known and unknown.

#28 User is offline   illogical Icon

•   verified user   
    Retired Master Server Administrator
  • Account: illogical
  • Main tag: 6th|

Posted 05 February 2006 - 03:51 AM

Wow. You're so concerned about leaking information... Have you performed a full audit of every piece of software you have on your system? Chances are you haven't, so you cannot be 100% that something you use every day isn't phoning home with updates on where you've been and what you've been doing there?

PB is a tool. OpenOffice is a tool. You trust OO, yet you scoff at PB? Apparently you forget when Quake 3 was plagued with hacks of all sorts. Need I remind you of the scores of people who were picked off by PB in the beginning? Look, if you don't want to play on PB servers because you're afraid that it's sending information about who you are to the server you're on, that's fine, enjoy playing with the 12 year olds that spin 180's and then put a bullet in your forehead with one keystroke (yes, they're still out there).

And as hazardous as it may be...
First you complained that sending a blank UserAgent from Firefox (we can't let people know that we're using Firefox 1.5.x on GNU/Linux with kernel version 2.6.x because they don't need to know it) to these forums broke the forums.
Now you whine about software being infected with PB and sending all sorts of information about you to the server you're connected to.
You know what I think? Honestly? At the chance of sounding rude and somewhat perturbed, you may as well crawl under a rock and hide there. That way, no one will know anything about you, which the way I reckon, is exactly what you want.

Oh! </rant>

#29 Guest_Caffeine

Posted 05 February 2006 - 04:45 AM

Wow. You're so concerned about leaking information... Have you performed a full audit of every piece of software you have on your system? Chances are you haven't, so you cannot be 100% that something you use every day isn't phoning home with updates on where you've been and what you've been doing there?

No I haven't, but I'm reasonably certain that I'm aware of everything that goes on with my system.

PB is a tool. OpenOffice is a tool. You trust OO, yet you scoff at PB?

Um, how are those alike in the least? PB is closed source, OO is not. PB's primary goal is to stop [casual/script kiddie] cheaters, but it does far more than that. OO, OTOH, does exactly what people expect it to do.

Apparently you forget when Quake 3 was plagued with hacks of all sorts.

Yeah, I do, because out of all the Q3 mods and baseq3, I only ever played (and still play) UrT regularly. From that perspective, I don't think that the cheating problem was as bad as you suggest, but it was quite a while ago.

Look, if you don't want to play on PB servers because you're afraid that it's sending information about who you are to the server you're on, that's fine

It doesn't send information about who I am; it merely assigns a persistent and global unique ID that is tied to my CD key. It also assigns another ID based on hardware config (for multiple games, presumably), but that at least is accessible by EB only for now.

I don't have a problem with the tracking by IDsoftware nor EB. I have a problem with the tracking by server admins and by anyone who cares to set up a public or private GUID database. PB could still function just as well without making it GUIDs so easily accessible by Joe Random Data-Miner.

enjoy playing with the 12 year olds that spin 180's and then put a bullet in your forehead with one keystroke (yes, they're still out there).

Actually, I suspect that most, if not all, hardcore cheaters have either moved on to other games or simply work around PB's apparently rather feeble protections. But don't let my personal opinion stop you from spouting off about your paranoia. :P

In any case, I'd rather play with cheaters than play with people who willingly allow their gaming habits to be tracked by multiple parties. Especially when anyone with rcon access can configure the server to send the data to literally anyone without the players' knowledge (runDMC's GUID database only requires the server's rcon password, for example).

Not that many players are even aware of this. After all, it's not like people have any way of knowing that the server they're playing on is sending data to runDMC. I haven't found one server yet that announces the fact that they're sending the data to a GUID database (there was one such server in the past, though).

First you complained that sending a blank UserAgent from Firefox (we can't let people know that we're using Firefox 1.5.x on GNU/Linux with kernel version 2.6.x because they don't need to know it) to these forums broke the forums.

That's an ad hominem argument not relevant to the current topic at hand. I have exhaustively discussed this issue with you in another thread, besides.

Now you whine about software being infected with PB and sending all sorts of information about you to the server you're connected to.

Well, I'd much rather whine about something that is actually happening than whine about cheaters who may or may not even exist.

You know what I think? Honestly? At the chance of sounding rude and somewhat perturbed, you may as well crawl under a rock and hide there. That way, no one will know anything about you, which the way I reckon, is exactly what you want.

I'm not that paranoid. I suspect that a lot of server admins are far more paranoid than I, yet they get what they want, and I don't. Why is that? What makes their paranoia > my paranoia? :P

#30 User is offline   Kr0m Icon

•   former FS member   
    Lead Forums Administrator
  • Account: kr0m

Posted 05 February 2006 - 05:00 AM

Odd how this guy is the only person I've EVER seen complain about this.

After all, it's not like people have any way of knowing that the server they're playing on is sending data to runDMC. I haven't found one server yet that announces the fact that they're sending the data to a GUID database (there was one such server in the past, though).

Like I told you in IRC, not ALL servers are linked to the tracker.
Sites like these are important to server admins, league admins as well as other players. IMO, it'd be better to have sites like these open to the public for all to see.
Here's the list of servers for you to fear: http://www.rundmc.se...put_servers.php

I'm not that paranoid. I suspect that a lot of server admins are far more paranoid than I, yet they get what they want, and I don't. Why is that? What makes their paranoia > my paranoia?

Damn straight they get what they want, they run & pay for the servers. There's still a few servers around that aren't running PB, hit those up.

Unless your're some 4 day old newb to the community, how could you NOT know about sites like rundmc and guiddb that have been around for ages...

If it's not one thing it's another. Please tell my what your next objective is so I can prepare for it.

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942