• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

A seemingly insurmountable problem Rate Topic: -----

#1 Guest_Caffeine

Posted 16 December 2005 - 08:00 AM

Now that the Q3 engine source code has been released, I'm finding myself wanting to use the Icculus Q3 client more and more. Why, you ask? Because it's simply better than id's Linux client -- among its advantages are:

Client:[list]
[*]Alt-Enter without vid_restart! (SDL build; r526)
[*]Sleeps when unfocused and sleeps a bit more when minimized. (reduces CPU usage; r519)
[*]Windowed mode correctly restores desktop gamma when switching to another window.
[*]No need for the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL hack necessary to play idQ3 on modern dists.
[*]Can be compiled for more architectures (32- or 64-bit).
[*]Can record demos directly to AVI. (r454)
[*]Will have IPv6 support in the future.
[*]OpenAL and SDL support.[/list:u]

Server:[list]
[*]Fixed a few exploitable problems that could lead to server crashes. (r58, r95)
[*]Fixed a problem where the server would crash after a certain amount of time. (timer overflowed; r91)[/list:u]

Misc:[list]
[*]Builds with GCC 4.x.
[*]Various buffer overflow fixes. (r87, r95, r169)[/list:u]

So, what's the problem?

Punkbuster is the problem. It doesn't work with any open source Q3 client, and presumably never will. I've never liked PB, and this only gives me another reason not to. Now that so many UrT servers run PB (at a glance, I'd say over 80%), I'm finding myself switching between two different clients. I want this to stop -- I want to use only one client, and that won't be idQ3. I'm thoroughly sick of my box being tracked and probed by PB, anyways.

So, how do I convince server admins to not run PB? Will telling them to police their servers with more admins and to use "sv_strictauth 1" (CD key auth) be enough? I doubt that very much...

#2 User is offline   Heldenhaft (old) Icon

• LocationGermany

Posted 16 December 2005 - 08:53 PM

You aren't playing that long to remember the time before punkbuster came out do you? That winter playing urbanterror on publics was everything else than fun. Finding a server without cheater or at least only one was pretty hard.

There is only one reason from my point of view to get server without punkbuster started, attract people for the game and maybe secure some more for playing urt.

In europe there are more pb on server (too), don't know how much, but what I know is, that before afternoon most pb-server are empty and non-pb are played (changing in the evening). So were is the problem to play on that servers and avoid pb-server. competition gaming without anticheat? Dream on or try CoD2 ;>

#3 Guest_Caffeine

Posted 17 December 2005 - 08:17 PM

You aren't playing that long to remember the time before punkbuster came out do you? That winter playing urbanterror on publics was everything else than fun. Finding a server without cheater or at least only one was pretty hard.

I've been playing since 2000 or so, and I don't remember cheaters ever being that much of a problem. I did encounter some players who seemed to be a little too good, but I still encounter those even on PB servers.

There is only one reason from my point of view to get server without punkbuster started, attract people for the game and maybe secure some more for playing urt.

There are more reasons than that for me, as I explained above.

So were is the problem to play on that servers and avoid pb-server

Well, as I also stated above, there are something like 80% of the Urban Terror servers running PB. That rather limits my options for PB-free UrT gaming, don't you think?

Regardless, it seems that cheating isn't a concern for open source Q3 developers. They're of the opinion that even offering a PB-free GUID (based on CD key auth) would require too much work to implement and would require idsoftware to change the auth server, which would be 100% unlikely. So, even though a persistent and unique identification of players with legit CD keys is possible with open source clients and servers, it won't be done. Server admins will have to continue relying on PB to provide that (among other, less desirable things).

Oh well; I tried.

#4 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 17 December 2005 - 08:44 PM

yes, its best advantage right now is that you can join with any hax released since 1999

btw, I get choppy video whatever the nice value for some reason and mouse sensisitivity seems way up whatever the setting and I usually want it slow. in addition, sound quality is degraded.

#5 User is offline   Hito]{iri (old) Icon

• LocationBelgium

Posted 17 December 2005 - 08:55 PM

Well, as I also stated above, there are something like 80% of the Urban Terror servers running PB. That rather limits my options for PB-free UrT gaming, don't you think?

80 ?? make that 95 %

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 17 December 2005 - 08:57 PM

no, popular ts pub servers do not run pb at the moment.

#7 Guest_Caffeine

Posted 17 December 2005 - 09:40 PM

yes, its best advantage right now is that you can join with any hax released since 1999

:roll:

btw, I get choppy video whatever the nice value for some reason

Yeah, same here. That's why I'm sticking with a build from November 30th, which doesn't have that problem.

and mouse sensisitivity seems way up whatever the setting and I usually want it slow.

Probably due to the addition of SDL for the input layer. Try playing with /sensitivity num

in addition, sound quality is degraded.

It's better here, but I'm using a cvs version of OpenAL with it.

no, popular ts pub servers do not run pb at the moment.

More than that. Not for long, though, I imagine -- if the cheater problem is as bad as everyone belives it to be, then they'll be running PB soon enough as well.

Here's hoping that ID will release a new PR when idQ3 1.32b stops working. :roll:

#8 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 18 December 2005 - 09:09 AM

Posted Image
this is a typical day in popular ts urt servers.

edit: ps. someone correctly pointed out on irc that less popular pb servers may have more players added together. i was talking about what I usually see in cet days when I try to find a TS pub with equal or more than 4vs4.

#9 User is offline   StonedLemming (old) Icon

• LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 19 December 2005 - 09:58 PM

I play on henslfuk frequently, and its pb off, i dont really care, if somebody is cheating its only better practice for me. :)

#10 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 20 December 2005 - 03:01 AM

Doping is internationally banned because it's completely off the spirit of sports, being healthy, competing honestly, and having fun among others.

ps. This is a war simulator as long as darts is a ninja art.

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942