Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

ntfs +linux ? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Frea]{ (old) Icon

• LocationBrussels, Belgium

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:19 AM

i recently installed pclinux, im new to linux.

on the HD where i installed pclinux, i also have some older ntfs partitions with files idlike to keep/use.

atm i can read them but cant write on these partitions but i just saw in synaptic linux update program a pack called " captive" , that is supposed to able linux to read/qrite on ntfs, does anyone know it , and knowif is worth a try or dangerous for those ntfs partitions ?

or is there a way to convert ntfs partition into linux partitions without deleting files ?

thx in advance for help. :)

#2 User is offline   rednex Icon

• Account: rednex
  • Main tag: [Laus]

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:57 AM

I'll try to be of some help even though I really don't know much. I run a Debian system, and I suspect that pclinux is also debian based, since you have the synaptic installer.

I have to admit that I haven't actually written anything to my NTFS partitions, but I can mount them as Read/Write - no problem. There are some differences between Linux and Windows when it comes to file permissions and such, so I'm not sure how those two will blend. You can always try to drop some dummy files on the NTFS partition and see how it reacts. I don't think there's any danger of killing your existing files that way.

I can't think of any way to convert an NTFS partition to Linux without killing tha data in the process. If you have some free space, you could use PowerQuest Partition Magic to resize the original NTFS parition and create a Linux partition on the free space. Move some data from NTFS to Linux and repeat. However, that's a slow and pretty dangerous operation, so you'd be better off making a complete backup and starting over.

#3 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 05 April 2006 - 11:23 AM

you can write to an ntfs partition by mounting a special file already made on it from windows. google about it.

however, i wouldn't call that efficient. I'd use a fat32 or if booting to windows is rare like i do, use a reiser or ext2 windows reader to exchange files.

or is there a way to convert ntfs partition into linux partitions without deleting files ?

that wouldn't work easily unless you're not talking about booting it. blame companies that for them something doesn't even exist if they don't make money out of it.

#4 User is offline   Frea]{ (old) Icon

Posted 05 April 2006 - 11:30 AM

thx for suggestions :)
ill check all that

btw i dont have windows installed anymore on this comp , its only partitions with media files

#5 User is offline   Frea]{ (old) Icon

Posted 05 April 2006 - 01:20 PM

btw pclinux is really good for new users. its really as functional and simple as windows ,
u can dl a live cd version to try it and then install it on hd from it.

have a look at it and deleted windows :P , i just can do evrything i was doing on windows before besides ... games but i have another comp for games and still can share files n stuffs between comps

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   MrSentry Icon

• Account: mrsentry
  • Main tag: 6th|

Posted 05 April 2006 - 01:26 PM

you can also just compile NTFS support into your kernel
beware tho sometimes it does not dis-mount properly and a chkdsk will happen on next boot of windows. if it is a dual-boot machine

#7 User is offline   Frea]{ (old) Icon

Posted 06 April 2006 - 09:22 AM

k, thx .

probleme solved, i copied old media files from ntfs to linux partition and deleted the ntfs partitions, now this comp is linux only :D/

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.frozensand.com/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942