Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

cvar "Q3UT3" disappears sometimes Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   HELSEN (old) Icon

• LocationGermany

Posted 03 May 2004 - 05:13 PM

Hi all.
I have since the 3.4 update a strange phenomenon.
I try to describe it as good as possible (sorry for my (non)-english :-))

My clan plays only custom-maps. And since we are one of the few clans who play 3rd-party maps at all, the problem is shurely not so common.

Normaly when you use ASE or HLSW (or whatever) you can see the gamename "Q3TU3". This is how this programs filter the games.

Since 3.4 I have certain maps, who does on some times NOT send these information.
At this times the gamename is empty, and the server is not shown in ASE or HLSW beneath Urban Terror.
When you try to connect to the server by this time, first is Quake3 (you see the Q3-Start-Logo) started, then Urban Terror.

I have tried to set on this map per remote the gamename, while its lost, but it is a locked cvar. This is why I wonder that it disappear at all.

So I deleted my configs on both server I run, and let the engine generate new ones.
But after this, the same thing appears I set the cvar in q3config; server.cfg and in the mapcycle.cfg on each map-section.
It still happens.

What it make VERY strange, when I shutdown the server completle, and start up again, the error is gone (for a while). After 2 or 3 turn of the cycle it sudden apears again.
EXEC SERVER.CFG does NOT solve it, only shutdown again.

And to repeat my self, it is not a global problem, it only appears on certain maps.
So this week (we change every week the cycle) it is for example:
ut_army-lab-b3-2
ut_txantrea_beta2
ut_pointblank_beta2
ut_powerline.

If needed, I can give you 8-10 other names of maps, I have allready found since the 3.4 change.

So everytime one of this maps comes up, the server appears as a quake-server, because there is no gamename set.
When the next map came, Q3UT3 appears, and everything is fine.

I know a very lot about setting up a server, especially about 3rd-party maps and uncommon gametypes, but this problem drive me crazy.
So every hint is welcome.

Thank you for your attention and your time :-).

Greetings Avatar

#2 User is offline   Heldenhaft (old) Icon

• LocationGermany

Posted 03 May 2004 - 07:03 PM

Maybe this is again a problem with to long infotext from server like the problem with sv_maxclients. Take a look if fs_game is lowercase and set in exec path of your server and then give stripping of info messages (like admin, hostname, joinmessage,..) a chance. Maybe that will fix it.

#3 User is offline   HELSEN (old) Icon

• LocationGermany

Posted 03 May 2004 - 07:27 PM

Did all of this before. But nothing of this was the cause. :?
There was a other problem, solved by reducing the info text, but not this :cry:

EDIT: Here 2 screenies for better understanding:

Picture 1

Picture 2

and here the next map, without changing anything:

Picture 3

everything is ok until the next certain map come with this problem

Greetings Avatar

#4 User is offline   illogical Icon

•   verified user   
    Retired Master Server Administrator
  • Account: illogical
  • Main tag: 6th|

Posted 06 May 2004 - 02:51 AM

I've seen this behavior when looking through the master.urbanterror.net internal database. I can't really pin it on one cause, heck, I'm no where near understanding what's going on. I could make guesses all day, but that's just pointless. I believe there is a function in Q3, SETS, that allows you to set a CVar to send in the infostring. Try using that to force it set.

#5 User is offline   HELSEN (old) Icon

• LocationGermany

Posted 06 May 2004 - 08:09 AM

:D

I wrote a little above:
 I set the cvar in q3config; server.cfg and in the mapcycle.cfg on each map-section. 
It still happens

As far asI know, there is nothing where I can set is else.
Correct me, if i am wrong.

Further maps found with this bug:

- ut_dust_se_beta
- superman_b2
- ut_demolition.

Greetings Avatar

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   ghozt (old) Icon

• LocationDelaware, USA

Posted 07 May 2004 - 10:54 PM

Have you tryed to put it in your startup file.. ex.

./q3ded +set dedicated 2 +set net_IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx+set net_port 27960 +set gamename "Q3UT3" +exec server.cfg

#7 User is offline   Mav (old) Icon

• LocationGreenwood, Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted 10 May 2004 - 06:07 AM

./q3ded +set dedicated 2 +set net_IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx+set net_port 27960 +set gamename "Q3UT3" +exec server.cfg

Darn Ghozt your Quicker then me, I was just going to suggest that very same thing.

Also, I see from the mapcycle test server right below everything is fine. Are the two server running the same server.cfg's. You may want to copy the working one and use it. Plus verify the startup lines are the same.

#8 User is offline   HELSEN (old) Icon

• LocationGermany

Posted 10 May 2004 - 09:34 AM

Darn Ghozt your Quicker then me, I was just going to suggest that very same thing.
Also, I see from the mapcycle test server right below everything is fine.

Nothing is fine at all :-(.
Like I wrote a little above, I have tested these thinks you mentioned at first, when the problems began. And everything is setup fine.
And I also mentioned, that this problem did not occure immadiately, when the server starts. It appears mostly after a couple of hours constant playing.
And it appears on both servers (which are running on two different physicaly machines) on the same maps.
So I do restart at the moment both server at the morning, to workaround a little bit this annoying crap.

Iam near to thing about to let run something else on the server, until the UT:ET Port.
3.4 was a slap in the face for us community-map players :(

Greetings Avatar

#9 User is offline   HELSEN (old) Icon

• LocationGermany

Posted 16 May 2004 - 04:32 PM

Still not fixed in 3.5 :cry:

Additional map with this bug:

ut_arabiandistrict.

Greetings Avatar

#10 User is offline   HELSEN (old) Icon

• LocationGermany

Posted 16 May 2004 - 08:28 PM

And also not patched in the Turbo-Patch 3.6 :wink:

Found this 2 babys with the same bug in the new cycle:

ut_little_town
ut_pgrounds-nite

Greetings Avatar

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942