Login | Register 
Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The True Community Map (CTF) Rate Topic: -----

#1 Guest_RalphNizzle

Posted 13 May 2004 - 09:11 AM

I always hear people talk about the 'community maps' but usually the way it's done is one person comes up with an idea, works really hard on it and the players like it or don't for whatever reason. The general player doesn't get any input on what he'd like to see in a map unless he knows the mappper or is asked or posts on a forum for whatever reason. Since most maps are generic (themewise) in nature (either some urban setting or maybe some woods somewhere) then it shouldn't be too difficult to custom configure a map-making plan from scratch, using only community input. Then perhaps either SID will take this under consideration in a map they put out or some ambitious mapper (hell, maybe me) might make it.

So I propose a '20 map questions' kind of thing where we figure out what input to get on constructing it to get a composite that should define the 'true community map' and what the community wants more of

Questions would thus:

1.Gametypes(CTF, Bomb, TS etc)
2.Map size (CQB, Some run and gun, sniper map)
3.Map layout (symmetrical, L-shaped, offset, multibox)
4.Players supported (good for 2 v 2, or good for 16+, etc)
5.Theme (middle eastern, jugle combat, WWII, whatever)
6.VerticalAspect (Buildings on a single flat brush, maps that have rooftops, maps with like 10 floors)
7.Suggested Features (I'd like to see a giant garden gnome in a map so big I could hide in his butt, or I'd like to see a giant observation tower overlooking a rifle range, etc)
8.Unique map ideas (theoretical stuff like could you build a train that would shoot grenades? or how about a robot with mr sentry arms?)
9.Your favorite 3 maps (use this to establish a trend about the person's taste in maps so you can try and 'see where they're coming from' in terms of their map likes and dislikes.
10. Name one map that would be great if it didn't have 'this one flaw' and explain why you hate that flaw so much it ruins the map

Suggest other questions you think would be essential to determining what people want to see in a map. When we get a full set of questions and stuff then we can make a new post and start getting feedback.

#2 User is offline   Oswald (old) Icon

• LocationWishin' I was in SoCal

Posted 13 May 2004 - 05:23 PM

gamers would rather just say it sucks without giving a reason we have seen it all to long now...good luck though.

#3 User is offline   Shminkyboy Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper
  • Account: shminkyboy

Posted 14 May 2004 - 02:43 PM

=X

Good Luck Ralph.

I'd say the best thing to do is this:

1) just watch how people play the game
2) think of a scenario that it would be fun to do that playstyle in with people (deffinately gametype dependant!!!)
3) build it.

The average gamer doesn't really want editorial control of a map, they want editorial control over an experience. That's why they clamor at dev like little birdies to Mom, all those maps come with the experience, they don't have to download them, etc etc etc... hehehe.

Besides, the map isn't the experience, the map sells the experience. A lot of maps don't sell the experience, so gamers have gotten into the habit of not bothering with 'community maps'. This doesn't mean they want a hand in the map-making aspect of it. Most of em don't.

If they don't like yours they just won't play it. But if they do, then they'll play it a bunch =D. They don't really want to do anything but like playing the game on a map anyways..

Not all gamers are like this but a lot are. Thats why it's just easier to ask a couple of friends what they think of <insert map idea here> and depending on that response, build it or not.

Even though it's possible to make one that plays awesome in all game modes, it's not very likely... just pick a gametype you like, ask your buds what they think, and build one for it! Thats all I did... If people like it, they'll play it =)

#4 User is offline   autoaim.cfg (old) Icon

Posted 26 May 2004 - 10:34 AM

like little birdies to Mom

Your family scares me, Shmink. :P

#5 User is offline   owlsoup (old) Icon

Posted 13 September 2004 - 07:31 AM

Midgetkiller's map contents is done...

After a few months of designing and selection, some great new maps are available over at http://www.ut.map-depot.com

New maps include Poseidon, Centro, Berchesgaden, Alps, Canyon, Aardtimes B2, Franklin, Annex.

Go get 'em! They are great fun. Encourage server admins to load them up. Enjoy.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   tub (old) Icon

• Locationut_abbey

Posted 13 September 2004 - 12:49 PM

Coming up with ideas for maps is the easy part. It's actually building the damn things that is hard.

And what Shminky said.

#7 User is offline   Donner (old) Icon

• LocationMelbourne - Australia

Posted 18 September 2004 - 07:31 AM

Mates as beta testers. They'll be frank and honest about what sucks and what can be improved.

Perhaps steal a theme from the mapping contest that wasn't used and there isn't an example of (Hospital, Cruise Ship) to get some ideas flowing.

#8 Guest_rustytnt

Posted 19 September 2004 - 07:39 AM

I thnk the questionaire is a good idea actually. Often it's too easy for gamers (who don't map themselves) say 'nuh, it sux' and thats the end of it. THey don't care to think why, or how, or what could be improved, or whether if it wasn't for that One annoying thing the map would be fine etc etc.
Let the whiners put their money where their 'mouth' is so to speak.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942