Login | Register 
Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Where's my mouse4 ? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   L3mMinG (old) Icon

Posted 11 April 2007 - 11:26 AM

Well on my gentoo install I could bind mouse4 and mouse5 in quake3 for my mx500 thumb buttons. Now I'm running debian and although I'm using the same xorg.conf file and xev reports the thumb buttons as button 8 and button 9, urban terror (both incarnations and vanilla quake3) only wants to report both thumb buttons as KP_EQUALS. Any ideas on how I can get those back to mouse4 and mouse5 (or kp_equals and something else for the other thumb button so I can bind both to seperate commands) ?

#2 User is offline   undead Icon

• Account: undead

Posted 12 April 2007 - 05:07 AM

It sounds like you're using the id software quake3 which was limited to 5 buttons IIRC.

Try messing around with xmodmap to switch the button assignments around.  I had a post about it somewhere in this forum area.

#3 User is offline   MrBecks (old) Icon

• Location/Germany/Lower Saxony/Hannover

Posted 12 April 2007 - 03:24 PM

Do you use event interface driver?

#4 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 12 April 2007 - 03:36 PM

The 'modern' way is to use the evdev driver with only 'Name' and 'Phys' options found in /proc/bus/input/devices

e.g. for my g7 logitech:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "g7"
        Driver          "evdev"
        Option          "Name"  "Logitech USB Receiver"
        Option          "Phys"  "usb-0000:00:1d.1-1/input0"
EndSection

Notice a 'Device' option isn't required and actually not adviced (by a man page) (didn't seem to work with udev's redirections) and 'Name' is a kernel identifier from /proc.

Not very dynamic ('Phys' depends on where's plugged). If you have only once the 'Name' option from /proc (g7 has it twice) you may get away only with that option.

Then you may need an xmodmap line, e.g. here I run from ~/.kde/Autostart/mine.sh for that mouse:

/usr/bin/xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 9 3 4 5 7 6 2 8 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 2
0"

edit: I know, it doesn't look that right and tidy and changes from version to version and distro to distro, but it seems evdev and X input is work in progress so what can you do.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942