Login | Register 
Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Corrupted graphics Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   pink (old) Icon

Posted 15 April 2007 - 03:12 AM

Hi, I downloaded the linux version (zip) and the iourbanterror engine.

I am getting a heavily corrupted in game display. The initial menu display is fine but once in game all the fonts and game textures are completely messed up.

I get the exact same issue with tremulous as well, so I think this may be either an ioquake engine issue or some setup issue.

Quake3 (original) plays fine on this machine and World of Padman (also based on the ioquake engine) both play fine.

I do run Beryl, but disable it and switch back to the Kwin window manager when playing games.

I've tried searching and browsing this forum for similar issues and have not turned anything up yet. I've also doen a quick search around on google and turned nothing up of value as of yet.

I am running OpenSuSE 10.2 with an ATI X1600 using the fglrx_7_1_0_SUSE102-8.33.6-1.i386 driver.

Any ideas?

#2 User is offline   undead Icon

• Account: undead

Posted 15 April 2007 - 06:56 AM

I get the exact same issue with tremulous as well, so I think this may be either an ioquake engine issue or some setup issue.

Quake3 (original) plays fine on this machine and World of Padman (also based on the ioquake engine) both play fine.

First build/download vanilla ioquake3 and see if you can play quake3 (no mods) with that.  Then try using it to play UrT.  If both of those work, then it sounds like an ioUrT/tremulous change that is causing the problem.  You'll have to dig into the source for iourt to find out what changed if you want to fix it.

If vanilla ioquake3 doesn't work, then WoP changed something that you need.  If you've narrowed it down to WoP's changes, then ask on their list for some help on what they changed and if they have any idea what could be fixed from their tree.

If they don't have an idea, then look at a diff of WoP's engine vs. mainline ioquake3.  They setup a separate repository on sf.net which makes it more annoying to sync and find differences.  I think they last synced against revision 1055.

#3 User is offline   L3mMinG (old) Icon

Posted 15 April 2007 - 02:33 PM

Don't play under XGL, this is causing the behavior you're describing. Just use regular X.org and everything will be fine. Just switching window manager when you're using the "dirty hack" called xgl is useless as you have discovered.

#4 User is offline   pink (old) Icon

Posted 15 April 2007 - 04:54 PM

Many thanks for the pointers.

I shall try them both out as soon as I have time.

#5 User is offline   pink (old) Icon

Posted 15 April 2007 - 08:29 PM

Quick follow up.

I have downloaded the original ioquake3 engine, I set up symbolic links to each of the game directories for the four games I have installed.
Tremulous
WOP
quake3
UrbanTerror.

Tremulous fails to load at all, though I can't see anything obvious in the stdout as to why.
WOP plays fine.
Quake3 plays fine.
Urban Terror gives the same graphics glitches as it gives with it's own engine.

I shall try switching X to use native X rather than XGL. In fact I might even chuck fluxbox on here and dedicate it to gaming instead of using KDE.

Will let you know how I get on.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 15 April 2007 - 08:31 PM

Yeah, I'd try a regular X setup too. 3d accel in main X in general is still work in progress.

#7 User is offline   Riotta (old) Icon

• LocationPoland

Posted 15 April 2007 - 08:46 PM

ATI drivers and Linux was always pain in the ass, for users, they are damn buggy I can only recommend you trying different version of the fglrx drivers older/newer. Or just wait for upcomming Catalyst 7.1 generation of the driver which will probably have redwriten all OpenGL code, for more info look here: http://www.extremete...,2103633,00.asp

Regards

#8 User is offline   pink (old) Icon

Posted 15 April 2007 - 11:44 PM

I managed to get normal X running and sure enough Urban terror does work. However there was one thing I needed to do to then get hardware GL running which was to add

tmpfs          /dev/shm                tmpfs      defaults              0 0

to my /etc/fstab

and then mount tmpfs.

Without this I was getting software rendering that was diabolically slow (as in I couldn't even get past the menus) and a stack of permission denied errors in the console output.

I am very curious though as to why WOP and Quake3 work fine with XGL but UT and Tremulous do not, even when running them all using the exact same binary as the engine. Obviously they will have different game code but the engine would have been what interacted with the GL layer surely?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942