Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Laggy (fifoed) X events in XGame ? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Daedalus Icon

• Account: daedalus

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:38 AM

Hi,

If ingame i tap FIRE on the mouse really quickly i start to get serious lag from my keyboard/mouse events (like a FIFO buffer of events). This is not a time-based thing, but a number-of-events-in-the-fifo-based thing it seems, it gets to the point that if i am turning left-right-left ingame, infact my player's movement is sometimes 180 degrees out of phase (going right-left-right), i have noticed this problem also when i use the scroll wheel on the mouse to scroll up the console, or if i drag the scroll bar in the server list when searching for a game. This usually sorts itself out after 2-5 seconds (of movement), but reliably happens whenever i seem to give the X server loads of events quickly (scroll wheel, repetitively tap left mouse button etc).

I am using XGame to play the game in another Xserver (i have dual monitors, and the default layout is not particularly playable) and this problem doesn't happen when i don't use xgame.

Has anyone come across this problem before? If googled without any luck and can't find a website for it.

TIA...

btw: Ubuntu hardy 64, Q6600, NV 8800GS

#2 User is offline   V00d00 Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: v00d00
  • Main tag: uJ|

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:50 PM

Are you using any 3d effects on your desktop?  If so Compiz might be eating to much graphics memory causing graphics lag.

Maybe lag caused by the usb interface?  Have you tried using an older ps2 setup to see if you get the same problem?

Ive had lag from running to many usb devices that sufficiently dropped the voltage on that bus to a point where things began to not run properly.  After adding a powered hub they mostly went away.  Also i get weird lag events from ioquake when running using my razer mice.

#3 User is offline   Daedalus Icon

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:21 AM

LMAO, i really should proof-read my posts better... (i've now changed it to buFFer :D )

Yeah, i'm using compiz, and also usb periperals, i've tried different usb mice, but not yet tried a ps2 one (will do).

The prob only happens when it is run in a different x server (with xgame). This buffer effect can be to the extent that if i press ` for the console, sometimes it only comes up after i have moved the mouse again, as though the mouse movement is triggering the reading of the keyboard event.

I'll have an experiment with different mice/keyboard configs, but if it boils down to compiz, i'll be putting up with the occasional lag (i love compiz toooo much :) )

#4 User is offline   Mazter Icon

• Account: mazter

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:02 PM

I'll have an experiment with different mice/keyboard configs, but if it boils down to compiz, i'll be putting up with the occasional lag (i love compiz toooo much :) )

KDE 4.2 automatically turns off effects when you start the game or whenever you alt-switch fromthe game to your desktop, how cool is that  :mrgreen:

You should give it a try  :lol:

#5 User is offline   Daedalus Icon

Posted 22 February 2009 - 01:40 AM

That would mean using KDE... :D

I really should have a look at KDE at some point, but i'm so gnome-conditioned it will be a big step :)

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Daedalus Icon

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:17 AM

Well finally got a ps/2 mouse & kb to try it with, and found that my mobo only has a keyboard ps/2 socket, lol. Tried the ps/2 kb and it didn't make a difference. For now i'll make do, probably look into it again when i get a bit more spare time.

Thx for the help guys,

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942