Urban Terror Forums: Old maps missing textures when played in 4.0 - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Old maps missing textures when played in 4.0

#21 User is offline   RahX (old) Icon

• LocationPaducah KY

Posted 09 July 2007 - 08:07 AM

lolz

#22 User is offline   Shminkyboy Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper
  • Account: shminkyboy

Posted 11 July 2007 - 01:44 AM

Well, the short answer is unless the author wants to update it himself, OR unless the author gives express permission, then you're SOL.

Of course, there's always going to be individuals who will do whatever regardless of the author's wishes. Sad that people can be ignorant like that, but also a fact of life.

I guess you could just make a pk3 with textures to replace the missing textures in a map and call it ut_mapname_texpak.pk3, and as long as everyone has the texpak, it'll work. >>as long as the server also has the texpak, since to use it as a client, the server would need the pk3 in order for it to be considered 'pure'<<. thats the catch.

Also as already mentioned, the scale is different in the new game. Enough to make a difference. Like enough to make a cozy map feel crampy without adjustment. From my point of view? Bleh?! Make a new one for Pete's sake! =)

Sod the old maps, their cool... but theyre ....old =)

#23 User is offline   Qster (old) Icon

• LocationMidlander

Posted 11 July 2007 - 03:39 AM

[me=Qster]nods[/me]

Apart from Alleys ofc  :wink:

#24 User is offline   hannibal_lagtor (old) Icon

• Locationthe netherlands

Posted 12 July 2007 - 04:26 PM

another thing of some of the old maps is that they where made for a game that didn't have walljump and powerslide. in my memory the game back then (before casa) was a lot slower. with the current gameplay i doubt if docks, ricochet and swim will be nice maps.

on the other hand, maybe it's just because i play CTF now  :roll:

#25 User is offline   rancor (old) Icon

Posted 14 July 2007 - 06:08 AM

I guess you could just make a pk3 with textures to replace the missing textures in a map and call it ut_mapname_texpak.pk3, and as long as everyone has the texpak, it'll work. >>as long as the server also has the texpak, since to use it as a client, the server would need the pk3 in order for it to be considered 'pure'<<. thats the catch.

And this is exactly what I did for my private server. It works pretty much perfectly, though you'll want to make sure that you use the io client for testing, since the quake3 client will still use baseq3 textures. It also helped that I wrote a perl script to search all the pk3 files in a given directory for a file. Most maps wouldn't require such a tool, but ut_zero, the map in question is really dirty, though it doesn't use baseq3 textures, it does use textures from 3.0, 3.1, and the retro map pack.

Although the results aren't spectacular, they can be fun never the less. Laneway in 4.0 is amazing...

The legality is questionable at best, which is why I wouldn't publicly distribute such files.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#26 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 14 July 2007 - 12:50 PM

aside from legality it's a mess. if part of the game isn't part of the initial download it probably won't be played at all or only by certain dedicated clans, and it'll create confusion.

#27 User is offline   D33P_FRI3D|poop (old) Icon

• Locationeither at my pc or my gravitational device o(^_^)o

Posted 28 July 2007 - 04:32 AM

model resizing shouldnt have anything to do with it, but the fact that we needed to remove all q3 textures

did u do it for the q3a full, cuz i have played alot of maps from 3.7 and earlier on 4.0 and they still r not missing alot of textures only a few
and also some sounds, lol they r just replaced with the hit sound over and over again but no gripe cuz they r not made for 4.0 just saying that alot of maps will still work on the q3a version like laneway2 only missing the crickets so it has alot of bad sounds lol but i found a version of docks from like 2.6 or something and it works perfect on the q3a version but like woekle said the lighting suxs lol

#28 User is offline   c|M WarBirD (old) Icon

• LocationGermany

Posted 20 August 2007 - 04:32 PM

Its very simple, get Q3 (if you don´t have it already) & install 3.7, and all the nice maps are available for playing again without any missing textures etc.
I know, I do. ;)

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.frozensand.com/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942