Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Map of Models Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Zex_Suik (old) Icon

• LocationArizona

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:46 PM

Is there any advantages/disadvantages to making most of a map out of models versus standard method?

(i.e. Rommel Bridge is now a model)

#2 User is offline   Sinni Icon

•   former FS member   
  • Account: sinni

Posted 02 July 2007 - 04:32 AM

from what i've been told, models are drawn faster than the brush made objects.  Only draw back to that is they don't block vis.  I could b mistaken, LT1, Blade, or |nv|s would know more about it

#3 User is offline   |NV|S (old) Icon

• LocationSanta Clarita, CA

Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:30 PM

Its a lot of work to get things to work correctly.  ut4_provinggrounds is made entirely from meshes, and the big killer is the collision.  you dont want to use autoclip unless you have no choice whatsoever because it creates a brush for every mesh face.  but, if you are making simple axial geometry then you can just use simple blocking volumes from fullclip, and hulls from caulk.  Know this before you start...it aint easy.....trust me, I think the entire dev team watched me struggle with this.  And I think there were 2 maps we had to ditch that used this system that were just too much for the engine to handle.

The advantage from creating a level in the 3d package is that basically you can build more complex geometry then you can with a brush based solution.  Then there is also the advantage of UVmapping in 3d compared to a brush editor.  Meshes in q3 also render T&L, but brushes are handicapped with the bsp system.  The killer is the collision.  We looked at so many differing ways around this and we couldnt find it.  I think that mesh based collision is just so much better as it really gives you lots of options, and im sure this is the direction we are going in the future.  Brushes and bsp are clunky.

So, when it comes down to it, I wouldn't bother with this version of the game, you just wont be happy with it. Maybe for Urban Terror nextgen.

IN RADIANT: CAULK HULLING AND FULLCLIPPING
Posted Image

IN RADIANT: ASE MODELS
Posted Image

IN MAYA: MESHES
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Zex_Suik (old) Icon

• LocationArizona

Posted 06 July 2007 - 02:40 AM

thanks for the replies guys,

from what I'm gathering it is possible but tricky but it pays off if done right?

#5 User is offline   žalost (old) Icon

• vivisectionist
  • Locationseahorse seahell

Posted 09 July 2007 - 05:02 PM

yeah more than likely.

and radiant just keeps it simple with standard csg editing which kicks ass.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Wily Duck Icon

•   mapper   
  • Account: wilyduck

Posted 10 July 2007 - 03:47 AM

A high quality response Invis, but I'm left saying "huh?"

Let me ask this. After 27 has his new VIS blocking method implemented and shipped, does that give the brush building method more merit in the sense of smarter rendering from the engine? Yes mesh building does seem to give better structural detail, but like many, I'm still old school and stuck in radiant-land. Will 4.1 give us these new VIS blocking abilities?

I don't really understand the differences between autoclip and fullclip and collisions as you speak of them. Could you explain this further?

I expect once 27's new hardware extensions are implemented in the q3 engine, all maps will see large performance gains, regardless of being brush or mesh based. Is that a correct speculation?

#7 User is offline   |NV|S (old) Icon

• LocationSanta Clarita, CA

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:21 AM

A high quality response Invis, but I'm left saying "huh?"

Let me ask this. After 27 has his new VIS blocking method implemented and shipped, does that give the brush building method more merit in the sense of smarter rendering from the engine? Yes mesh building does seem to give better structural detail, but like many, I'm still old school and stuck in radiant-land. Will 4.1 give us these new VIS blocking abilities?

I don't really understand the differences between autoclip and fullclip and collisions as you speak of them. Could you explain this further?

I expect once 27's new hardware extensions are implemented in the q3 engine, all maps will see large performance gains, regardless of being brush or mesh based. Is that a correct speculation?

What twentyseven is doing more then likely wouldn't be for this version of URBAN TERROR.  I have no idea if we can even use what hes doing as it wouldnt be a MOD anymore.  He would be the better person to ask there.  As for whats currently available for this version.....I think that the work necessary to get this system to work isnt worth it.

Fullclip is a brush in Radiant that blocks everything.  Autoclip is a shader that you add to meshes (.ase's) so that it creates a brush for every face for collision purposes.

As for what hes doing, or planning, I think that hes going to impliment mesh based collision so we can do away with all that messy bsp.

#8 User is offline   Wily Duck Icon

•   mapper   
  • Account: wilyduck

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:06 AM

Cool, autoclip is now understood. Thanks.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942