Urban Terror Forums: 4.1 suggestion/request - remove "muzzle flash" effect where bullets hit - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

4.1 suggestion/request - remove "muzzle flash" effect where bullets hit

#1 User is offline   BludShoT Icon

• Account: bludshot
  • Main tag: [T]

Posted 08 July 2007 - 08:31 PM

In every game I've pretty much ever played, there is a flash at the location of where a person is firing their gun. This is true for UrT 2.x and 3.x, BF2, and many other games.

In UrT and other games, I've always seen these flashes over by a window or down a hallway etc, and then I've known *someone is firing from that position*. This was always a fun cool element of FPS games. And if you had a silencer, you wouldn't make that muzzle flash which is one of the great benefits of a silencer.

Anyhow, in 4.0 the muzzle flashes are still there, but you've added a new feature which is that there is a muzzle flash at the location that a bullet hits a wall or other surface. Why did you add that?  :?  It has no basis in reality, (and before people attack me and say UrT isn't about reality - duh I know that I think I've been around long enough hehe), it doesn't even have a basis in the fantasy zany actiony movie reality of UrT, imo.

So now in 4.0, when you see a muzzle flash, it totally might not be a guy shooting his gun, it could just as equally be a bullet hitting a surface. Basically this drives me nuts cuz my instinct from 3.x and all other games is that there is an enemy firing at that position, so I need to go investigate it, or whatever.

In the menus you can disable the muzzle flash, but if you do it disables it on both the guns and the bullet hits. I want to disable it on the bullet hits only. Any chance of this changing in 4.1? Also, if there isn't, then would it be possible for me to change it in the source code and then compiling my own urt?

#2 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 08 July 2007 - 08:33 PM

haven't noticed it, it could be explained("realistically") by getting sparks if metal hits rock.

it may be a bug.

there's no source of the mod publicly.

#3 User is offline   MerkyMerc Icon

•   verified donor   
  • Account: merkymerc

Posted 08 July 2007 - 08:42 PM

That is an effect of dynamic lighting turned on right? Go to Options>Gun Settings>Turn off dynamic lighting.

#4 User is offline   BludShoT Icon

• Account: bludshot
  • Main tag: [T]

Posted 08 July 2007 - 08:44 PM

there's no source of the mod publicly.

I know the mod source is not public, but the exe source is.

That is an effect of dynamic lighting turned on right? Go to Options>Gun Settings>Turn off dynamic lighting.

Correct, but like I was saying, if you turn off dynamic lighting, it turns off the flashes at both points (the guy firing the gun, and the bullet hitting the surface). I do not want to turn off the flashing by the guy firing the gun, only the flashing where the bullet hits a surface.

#5 User is offline   MerkyMerc Icon

•   verified donor   
  • Account: merkymerc

Posted 08 July 2007 - 09:12 PM

Well good luck on getting that as a feature  :wink:

I think in the end though, you may just have to settle with the non-realistic muzzle-flash if you don't want bullet-ricochet-flashes that badly.

Happy UrT'ing.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Kr0m Icon

•   former FS member   
    Lead Forums Administrator
  • Account: kr0m

Posted 08 July 2007 - 09:18 PM

Yeah, I've noticed this too and found it a bit odd. If I recall, I've noticed that it actually shows THROUGH floors and walls... which I don't think it's supposed to.

#7 User is offline   Juno Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: juno
  • Main tag: ~SG~

Posted 08 July 2007 - 09:42 PM

And i see muzzle flash through the wall i.e. uptown. I see light on walls where someone shot behind. So i can get know position of player in additional way. Its a bug i suppose. :)

#8 User is offline   Woekele Icon

•   former FS member   
    Public Relations
  • Account: woekele

Posted 08 July 2007 - 09:59 PM

I prefer the term feature or engine limitation :P hehe

#9 User is offline   el kabong (old) Icon

• Location39.07812, -84.21022

Posted 09 July 2007 - 12:07 AM

redacted

#10 User is offline   PatientZero (old) Icon

Posted 09 July 2007 - 01:44 AM

Please start new threads for unrelated suggestions so people can follow sane conversations.

Yes, I have noticed the flashing show through floors and walls. I assumed it was an engine limitation as I see it in regular Q3 as well (seeing rockets glow through floors usually). C'est la vie. Maybe 27 can work this out in his enhanced engine. :)

As for recochet flashes, those only occur AFAIK with copper-jacketed rounds. Lead doesn't spark -- it's too soft. Honestly, I don't recall ever being confused by this flash, and I pay attention to the muzzle flash for finding enemies. Perhaps I just haven't paid close enough attention, though. However, I do know that I use my ears far more than my eyes.

In any case, the fake ricochet sparks definitely appear in movies, but I've never seen a movie where this produced more light like a muzzleflash would.

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.frozensand.com/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942