Login | Register 
Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Bomb Servers Anyone?

#1 User is offline   Alpha-Slayer (old) Icon

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:25 AM

I hope this doesn't sound like a noob question because I have been playing since 2.4. Am I missing something or are there no bomb servers. Every once in awhile there is a GE server in bomb mode, but nothing concrete. This is in-game only. Does anyone have a secret fountain of servers or are there really not any. I really like bombmode and I want to devote more time to playing it.

A point in the right direction or a bursting bubble, you decide!!!

PS-Urban Terror=greatest MOD ever developed!!

Pwnt by pixels and hexagons and sprites and shades and polygons and red blue and green.........

#2 User is offline   L3mMinG (old) Icon

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:52 AM

Our server has gametype voting enabled on all maps but apart from the occasional vote for ctf or tdm, no other modes get voted. I even disabled gametype voting for one map in our cycle that runs in Follow The Leader because it took 10 seconds on average before people tried to vote it to team survivor.

It really is a shame because I actually prefer FTL and bomb mode over the other modes because of the sheer tactical aspect and required teamplay involved. My guess is the 'good' players don't want to depend on other players to win rounds on pubs and that's really a lot harder in ftl/bomb.

Besides, for FTL I have to tell some players that the mode instructions are on the team select menu every time it comes up and apparently there's still people playing without the mini-map so they have no clue where to find bomb sites or flags on ftl...

#3 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:20 AM

It's the or one of the most complcated gametypes of urt. TS is TDM with rounds. CTF is TDM with an objective. Bomb is TDM with an objective AND rounds. Or as some say, TS with an objective, though that last description is unfair for CTF since it could also be said it's CTF with another objective on rounds.

#4 User is offline   Alpha-Slayer (old) Icon

Posted 18 August 2007 - 08:18 AM

I think it is very challenging because you have to rely on your team and not how well you can personally survive. Unlike CTF, you don't respawn next to the flag, or even get a second chance!

#5 User is offline   Nexu Icon

•   clan leader   
  • Account: nexu
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 18 August 2007 - 10:07 AM

I had a public server running in BM for some time. But when it became idle most of the time and kinda turned it into a private server. I just put it public again since our private war server has been brought back from the dead.

<TheBombRoom> (89.106.68.26:27991) : 32ms | Map: ut4_algiers | Slots: 0/18 | DE

(Bomb time has been adjusted to 'ET dynamite' timing; 30 seconds detonation time with 4 second defuse/plant time)

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   dborg (old) Icon

• LocationGermany

Posted 18 August 2007 - 10:14 AM

This is our bomb mode server, located in Germany:
212.72.175.58:27960  -=]gegammel #4[=- server-sales.de

It is seeing quite a bit of action.

Saying that bomb mode is too complicated seems a little ironic to me, considering how popular it is with new players. Of course many of them already know how it works from CS or other games, but it is still fairly straight forward. Often the bomb is ignored and rounds play out just like TS. If the bomb is utilized, it is not nearly as confusingly flow-breaking as a sudden cap in FTL for example.

Personally I don't consider it much of a difference whether I play TS or BM on a public, but I still wish there would be more BM servers. It is very attractive to new players and it helps players to get used to it, so it becomes a more viable option for competition (where it really shines). There clearly is more demand for it than many in the community seem to realize.

#7 User is offline   Woekele Icon

•   former FS member   
    Public Relations
  • Account: woekele

Posted 18 August 2007 - 12:07 PM

Heh, I just played bomb for a few hours on that dborg, was very much fun :D Server filled up from 4 to 14 in no time.

#8 User is offline   L3mMinG (old) Icon

Posted 18 August 2007 - 12:34 PM

Heh, I just played bomb for a few hours on that dborg, was very much fun :D Server filled up from 4 to 14 in no time.

I set our server to bomb and it was the same... albeit with 4 New UrT Players in one team but still :)

#9 User is offline   dborg (old) Icon

• LocationGermany

Posted 18 August 2007 - 03:13 PM

I wouldn't recommend messing with the bomb timings BTW, unless there is a very good reason. The default settings are carefully tweaked and work very well in practice. Also, it is often a factor in map balance.

My recommendation for a decent bomb mode server would be a map rotation that favours small, fast and popular maps, since bomb mode is hard to get going on large maps. Turnpike, Prague, Abbey and Mandolin make nice fast paced bomb mode maps, while maps like Casa and maybe Uptown also tend to draw players.

Maxrounds shouldn't be too high and either g_swaproles or automatic shuffle at the start of each map should be enabled to avoid repetition.

#10 User is offline   Nigel Icon

• Account: nigel

Posted 19 August 2007 - 07:36 AM

Play in *|sNo|.

We play bomb.  Full votes on.  Bomb gets played for a few hours a week, with good TS players... It gets pretty fun.  =)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.frozensand.com/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942