Urban Terror Forums: Ideas for Future Release (Map related) - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Ideas for Future Release (Map related)

#1 User is offline   Vaughan (old) Icon

• LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 22 August 2007 - 08:31 PM

Would it be possible to code in a new worldspawn key in the def file that would allow the mapper to have the minimap (would have to be mapper created obviously) change according to gametype?

That way you could have different sections of the map for different gametypes and have the proper (precreated) minimap show.

#2 User is offline   žalost (old) Icon

• vivisectionist
  • Locationseahorse seahell

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:54 PM

nope. unless the map has a different name for each gametype, heavy coding required. or you put in your cycle list to load each map differently on each gametype. like map ut4_x_tdm if tdm is the gtype. but im not really a server guru

#3 User is offline   Vaughan (old) Icon

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:14 AM

nope. unless the map has a different name for each gametype, heavy coding required. or you put in your cycle list to load each map differently on each gametype. like map ut4_x_tdm if tdm is the gtype. but im not really a server guru

I'm not sure too heavy of coding would be required.
After all, Vanilla Q3 doesnt have minimaps at all.

minimaps could be named

ut4_mapname1 for gametype 1
ut4_mapname2 for gametype 2
etc

#4 User is offline   Shminkyboy Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper
  • Account: shminkyboy

Posted 24 August 2007 - 04:42 AM

Actually, you can have minimaps specific to gametype right now, just not in th same way you're thinking of doing it..

For instance:

Let's say you want to have a map that supports CTF, TS, and Bomb mode.

Instead of walling off sections of map to alter the configuration of the playing field, why not modify your base map (we'll call it ut4_map to keep things simple) so that ut4_map-CTF.bsp is configured the way you want the routing to be for CTF, ut4_map-TS.bsp is configured for TS, and ut4_map-bomb.bsp is configured for BOMB and nothing else.

Each 'maplet' in the pk3 (ut4_map.pk3) has it's own corresponding minimap. (so ut_map-CTF.tga, ut4_map-ts.tga, and ut4_map-bomb.tga respectively matching the configuration changes)

Voila!

Now, I know that it's not quite what you're asking, but it certainly is possible to do it that way right now. (ut_abbey and ut_abbey-ctf come to mind)

#5 User is offline   Woekele Icon

•   former FS member   
    Public Relations
  • Account: woekele

Posted 24 August 2007 - 12:01 PM

That would break auto-downloads though, shmink. Unless you do a seperate map for each. Just saying. ;)

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   žalost (old) Icon

• vivisectionist

Posted 24 August 2007 - 09:55 PM

that was exactly what i was saying, just when the gtype is ctf then /callvote map ut4_map it will map the ctf version of it.

or if you make it for retards who dont know the console, make the .arena script not allow some gtypes, for ctf only allow ut4_map-ctf to appear on the menu scripts. but that would cause confusion with older players with the /callvote cmds

but anyway, depending on the size of the map it will just duplicate and stack up the KBs causing more time to auto DL and more crap pings or so. I think that retards will eventually find out that "hey, i cant get though into this area" eventually and forget about it. (take mandolin for example, comparing BOMB and CTF)

#7 User is offline   Vaughan (old) Icon

Posted 25 August 2007 - 08:52 AM

Maybe its just me but I prefer not to refer to my fellow players as retards. None of us were the smartest people when we first started using the internet nor the easiest to get along with....some of us still aren't.....

I can remember being a n00b retard on a BBS with my 300 baud modem....god I am old......

#8 User is offline   žalost (old) Icon

• vivisectionist

Posted 26 August 2007 - 06:25 PM

Maybe its just me but I prefer not to refer to my fellow players as retards. None of us were the smartest people when we first started using the internet nor the easiest to get along with....some of us still aren't.....

I can remember being a n00b retard on a BBS with my 300 baud modem....god I am old......

too old? oh-no!

okay well if i ever get near c plain programming knowledge then this could happen but idk barely shit and i want to learn it really bad.  :-)

#9 User is offline   Vaughan (old) Icon

Posted 27 August 2007 - 06:45 PM

too old? oh-no!

okay well if i ever get near c plain programming knowledge then this could happen but idk barely crap and i want to learn it really bad.  :-)

If you know what a MUD is you can download the source code for them which are written in C. Play around, experiement and you may make something. You would need a *nix to compile the code though. Try www.mudconnector.com for links to source code.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942