• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

urt 4.1

#1 User is offline   Nationalist Icon

• Account: nationalist

Posted 14 September 2007 - 02:57 PM

I know you don't like answering release date questions regarding 4.1, but we server admins need to know there is some light at the end of the tunnel. It's no fun being completely defenseless against every asshat with an aimbot. Can you at least give me a general idea?

#2 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 14 September 2007 - 03:06 PM

N O      T H E Y        C A N ' T.

#3 User is offline   Nationalist Icon

• Account: nationalist

Posted 14 September 2007 - 03:27 PM

N O      T H E Y        C A N ' T.

No they can't give me a general idea?

#4 User is offline   Woekele Icon

•   former FS member   
    Public Relations
  • Account: woekele

Posted 14 September 2007 - 03:51 PM

I'd say this month should be doable... but you never knooooow with dev stuff ;) (I thought a christmas release of 4.0 was possible, so heh...)

#5 User is offline   AKGRIZZLY (old) Icon

• LocationAlaska

Posted 14 September 2007 - 05:03 PM

I want 4.1 also, but completely defenseless? cmon, there's always more than one way to skin a cat.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   BludShoT Icon

• Account: bludshot
  • Main tag: [T]

Posted 14 September 2007 - 07:22 PM

Is 4.1 supposed to have guids and anti-cheat or something?

#7 User is offline   Woekele Icon

•   former FS member   
    Public Relations

Posted 14 September 2007 - 08:26 PM

Urban Terror 4.1 will remain a Quake3Arena mod. A mod is not the place for Anti Cheat and cd-keys/guids. The engine is.

When using 4.1 on the Q3A engine, there's a cd-key/guid and AC system, PunkBuster. When using UrT 4.1 stand-alone on an open source engine (ioquake3/ioUrbanTerror), then there's no AC system (yet), cause these engines don't have such systems. BattlEye has stopped. Game-Violations has stated that they will work on an AC system for ioUrT in the future, but haven't yet started on it.

There's already guids in ioq3/ioUrT, but they're pretty useless for banning purposes, cause you can easily get a new one. Since it's a free and open source executable, there's imho probably no way to change that (even PB gave up on it for EnemyTerritory, even though they got paid for it and ET wasn't even open source), unless a paid registration system is introduced (which is not the direction the creators of ioq3/ioUrT want to go).

Because of these engines being open source though, everyone is allowed to work on it and make changes to it and thus it's very possible that other people introduce a (paid) cd-key registration and/or AC system for it, but I'm not aware of any finished projects so far.

In 4.0 Frozen Sand has made UrT compatible with the free engines, they did not force people to switch to them though, it was and is still possible to use the original Q3A engine (with PB) to play UrT on. FS did advertise the free engines as a great way to play Urban Terror stand-alone (not needing Q3A), allowing much more people to try the game. However, from the beginning FS was very CLEAR about the fact that the free engines would very probably not have AC (although it was later on attempted with BattlEye and now GV) and that people who cared about it that much should probably stick with the Q3A engine.

#8 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 14 September 2007 - 08:55 PM

You've concluded if you don't pay, no way to have order. I still think registered nicks such as this forum's are a way to have some additional order. ("additional" because the internet is never 100% secure. besides, who denies someone buying 100 copies?).

#9 User is offline   Woekele Icon

•   former FS member   
    Public Relations

Posted 14 September 2007 - 09:00 PM

Money is funny that way. Many are willing to invest lots of time into hacking/curcumventing protection systems, but no one wants to spend 500 dollars to be able to be caught cheating a 100 times.

Personally, I don't think there's any other systems that would work well, but as said, if anyone else (like you?) thinks there is, they're totally free to make it happen.

#10 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 14 September 2007 - 11:07 PM

I don't think any of the usually discussed systems would do anything spectacular, but a combination would be the best possible. Take blizzard for example, they sell their game for gold, it's even more expensive since they have to pay monthly on top, they even got unique nicknames so you can spot more easily who is who and still they couldn't stop cheaters, they also made anticheating systems for directly detecting them.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942