Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

New Server Questions/Queries Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   bloo (old) Icon

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:42 PM

Hi all,
I made a new server that is just experimental for me, so that i can test out cool stuff such as gravity and other rcon controls. Only a few of my friends play on it, but they have one concern.
Whenever the server is online, and i am not playing urban terror along with them in my server, they are playing fine, lagfree. However, as soon as i come online and start playing, everyone lags and the connection interrupted thing comes up many times which gets irritating.
Is it the fault of my internet connection, my computer or something that i have looked over in the server.cfg file.
Btw, i start my server by starting the ioUrTded and then typing in exec server.cfg.
is there an easier way to do this or is this the correct way.
Also, i would like to know how i can type in bigtext with spaces. because when i put bigtext, and write a sentence, only the first word comes, not the words after it.

Sorry for so many questions, but I really want to run this server well.

Thanks alot,

Bloo

#2 User is offline   |ALPHA|DeadManSlicey (old) Icon

Posted 31 December 2008 - 06:27 AM

First tip, make a shortcut for the ioUrTed and add "+seta net_port 27960 + exec server.cfg" to the end of the Target.  That way when you fire up the ioUrTed it will set up your port (you can'y use any port assigned such as 80) auto execute the cfg and start up.  Also on your hardware router, you should open up said port for UDP access (usually called port forwarding but ymmv).  Make sure logging is turned off, no need for more HD access than necessary, I doubt you're keeping stats.

Try lowering the max rate on the server to 2000 from the default 0 within the server.cfg.  By default, it will send as much as it receives and that may be causing the lag issue.

seta sv_maxRate "2000"
since you are using a consumer internet connection keep it low, most players use 8000 as this is the default.
/rcon bigtext "I need to use quotes here or it will only print the first word!"
/rcon serverstatus
/rcon slap [client #]
/rcon nuke [client #]

But most likely it's your box.  Information that just maybe helpful would be your system specs :roll:

#3 User is offline   bloo (old) Icon

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:25 PM

thank you so much for your reply and the information that you have provided. Right now i am out of town, so as soon as i get back i will try the stuff that you have told me and also send you my system specs. However, i can give you some of the basic specs right now from memory:
Videocard: ATI Mobility Radeon
Memory: 1.2 GB.
Manufacturer: IBM Thinkpad T41

Thats about it, if you need any thing else, please do let me know. is the sv_maxrate line found in server.cfg? and if possible, can you please send me instructions for opening up the port by port forwarding or ymmv... and where should logging be turned off from?

sorry for more questions, but thanks alot for all your help.

bloo

#4 User is offline   |ALPHA|DeadManSlicey (old) Icon

Posted 01 January 2009 - 05:48 AM

That laptop is an antique.  Doing a quick google search on the specs, I don't think a single core Pentium M can do the job your asking it to do.

As far as routing is concerned, you have to break out the manual, or download it from their website (www.linksys.com for example) and read the directions on how to forward ports or whatever the manufacturer wants to call it.  There are too many ways to do it and no one method works for all routers.

To find the information in the .cfg file, Open the file with Notepad or whatever text editor you use, Press ctrl+F and input what you are looking for like "sv_maxrate" and it will show you where it is.  I custom make my .cfg files so I don't remember where they put that option.  The cmd for logging is seta g_log "games.log" .  If you make it seta g_log "" it will turn the logging off.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942