• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

The need for bomb mode!

#1 User is offline   Headshot (old) Icon

Posted 02 December 2007 - 07:24 PM

After playing a lot lately with the noobs and the veteran Urban Terror players; it has become obvious to me that the strafe jumping is ruining the ctf gametype. Since it is doubtful that they are going to limit or remove the amount of speed you can gain by strafe jumping, I think it's important to help grow a gametype that may not be affected quite as much by the speed demons and tricksters of UrT. Since there really is no objective to team survivor, except camp and wait for the clock to run down, or your opponent to walk into your KOA regulated camp site; I think bomb mode would be the next logical choice. There is still a team objective that will allow the team to work together to win. Flying across the map with the bomb won't do you much good, since you can be shot while planting it or defusing the bomb, taking away most of the advantage of strafe jumping and knowing all the tricks.

I've never really been a fan of wall jumping or high speed strafe jumping, but the other day on superman made me finally say; "this is B.S." and makes ctf no fun at all anymore. I saw someone grab the red flag, gain speed from the roof, and make it all the way across to the blue flag in less than 5 seconds. Then just about as fast, capture the blue flag by using the same techniques to get back to the red roof with lightning speed. This unfair advantage gained by individuals who probably spend countless hours on empty servers learning all the tricks to the map, while most are actually playing Urban Terror trying to get better at the real objectives, has taken the fun out of the game.

The Ballz Deep clan will now be actively trying to convert our main gametype to Bomb, but of course we will still play our favorite gametype, ctf. We are a small minority in the new urban terror community that this really doesn't affect as much, since we are mostly veterans who have been playing the game for years, and also know how to strafe jump and play the game very well ourselves. The problem I see with these players that can fly across the map, bounce off walls and know all the tricks; is they will keep the noobs from wanting to play ctf, causing them to search for a more enjoyable gametype to play. If non is found, they will go play css or cod or something else. New players are responsible for the revival of Urban Terror. If they go, so will Urban Terror.

Bomb mode has never been very popular in the pubs, so it's going to be hard to get people playing it, but I think it's possible. Currently there are only a few bomb servers available to play on , but it would be nice to see more in the future. It's my opinion that bomb mode may be the way of the future for real competition, so we need to start playing it more. As myself, most -=BD=- members spend their spare time actually playing the game, rather than learning all the tricks. The Ballz Deep clan has some great UrT players, but no real leet tricksters, so when we go up against a team of them, we won't do well ourselves either.

So far this is only my opinion and a few others in our clan, since it has only recently become an issue that we are discussing and hasn't yet been discussed with everyone. It may amount to nothing, or it may change our objectives and primary gametype. Input from others may help to influence us, so please post your opinions. My personal opinion is ctf is still a great gametype for the pubs, but no longer for competition.

#2 User is offline   {C9}Wolverine (old) Icon

• LocationWashington State, USA

Posted 02 December 2007 - 07:27 PM

Sorry man but if strafe jumping were ruining the CTF gametype it would have done so years ago. Trick jumping and proper speed take time to develop for everyone. To some it comes naturally, to other it come with years of practice. Don't penalize those who have been here for so long that it comes naturally. But then, its your server which means when I switch mine to CTF I will have less competition.

#3 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 02 December 2007 - 07:35 PM

UrT with no strafe jumping, right. I don't see the reason not playing counter strike then. It's like urt without trickjumping and with more money on it.

#4 User is offline   Headshot (old) Icon

Posted 02 December 2007 - 07:35 PM

It's no fun being leet in a game that no one plays.

#5 User is offline   Kendle Icon

•   verified user   
    www.urban-zone.org
  • Account: kendle

Posted 02 December 2007 - 07:56 PM

I really dislike people who state opinion as if it's fact and / or who feel the need to justify their dislike of something. So you don't like trick-jumping? Fine, but don't make outrageous claims about it's effect on the game to justify your dislike of it.

I'm a 4.0 noob, never played UrT before then and probably still wouldn't if it weren't for the things that make UrT different from other games. The speed of UrT CTF is what makes it different.

I tend to play one main game at a time but try out as many as I can as I go along. The last game I tried in CTF was FEAR. It's cool, it's slick, the weapons are nice, but it's slow, and there's nothing to distinguish it from other CTF games. UrT is the first game I've tried in 6 years that is slap-you-round-the-face different.

What's different about Bomb? Why play Bomb in UrT and not CS? What's different about TS? Most games have a team deathmatch mode, most of them are camp to win, so what's different about UrT in any of these modes?

It's only the mad pace of CTF that makes it different in UrT than in other games. If we're going to state opinion as fact then I suggest all the things you claim DON'T make people want to play UrT are actually all the things that DO make people want to play UrT. ;)

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Headshot (old) Icon

Posted 02 December 2007 - 07:58 PM

Form a clan and play some of the current clans in competitions and then tell me what you think.

CTF is a great gametype and fun as hell in the pubs, but new clans won't stand a chance against the veteran clans in CTF. That could be opinion or fact, based on experience from competing for years in urt. I've seen many clans form and quit after being beaten severely by veteran clans.

CTF will never lose its popularity in the pubs, but competition doesn't stand a chance at growing, if it only focuses on ctf.

#7 User is offline   {C9}Wolverine (old) Icon

• LocationWashington State, USA

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:29 PM

And how did these vertean clans become so good? By competing. Do you really think Bomb mode will 'even things out'? Elite trickjumpers and speed strafe jumpers will always have the advantage over new people in ANY mode pub OR competition.

#8 User is offline   Headshot (old) Icon

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:28 PM

This was never meant to be an attack on Urban Terror or anyone who plays it. I understand that everything about Urban Terror has made it the great game that it is today. I also stated that since I have been playing the game for years that I was able to compete with most people, even if they have great trick skills. This was meant as an observation in my attempt to getting some real competitions going that include everyone, not just those who have the q3 version of the game, rather the majority of new players to UrT.

Not only do many of the new players lack the skills to defend themselves against people who have mastered theirs, trick skills are way beyond them. In ctf, all you need is to know a few tricks to easily get in, kill many, then grab the flag and fly out, and the game is pretty much decided before you begin. A real good player will be able to get in, grab the flag and be capping before you think he's even left the base, without killing anyone. The wall jumping isn't that bad of feature, but the speed you can get from strafe jumping gives a huge advantage on ctf. Bomb mode might help remove some advantage that the tricks give. It may not be much, but the comparison of new players to veteran players skills is way to extreme for us to compete together.

I haven't been called hax in years. Since the release of 4.0 I've been hearing it like the old days and even been kicked from our own clan servers and others many times. I've seen the skills of the new players, and it ain't pretty.  ; ] I'm not tooting my own horn. I know many that share the same feelings. It sucks playing on the pubs sometimes, because I play too hard or I see others play too hard and people leave, sometimes saying bad things about the game before they go, and I wonder if that was the moment the player decided to say forget this game and move on. I see it happen a lot.

#9 User is offline   Kendle Icon

•   verified user   
    www.urban-zone.org
  • Account: kendle

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:27 PM

Just played my first match with Intribe as it happens, against JF who are apparently one of the best CTF clans in Europe. My jumping skills will take years to get to their level, but I don't see it as a reason not to play, I see it as a challenge to try to become half as good as them.

In a game that's 7 years old you're always going to have the vet -v- newb issue, no matter what game mode. For me what draws people in to a game is what makes it different / better than others. As far as Bomb is concerned why on Earth would anyone play it when there's CS? What's to draw people in? In CTF there's all the things that make UrT what it is to draw people in because UrT CTF is unlike *most* other CTF games by a very noticeable degree.

Once drawn in of course teams are going to have to accept others have been playing it years and are going to school them, probably severly at first. Promoting a different mode isn't going to help in that regard.

I'd suggest making more CTF competitions, instead of appealing for new players to try a different mode if CTF is what they want to play, offer them more competitions so they can practise, preferably one with a league / division structure so teams can play others of similar skill rather than get spanked by the l33t clans all the time.

More and better structured competition is the answer to the "clan" situation. Pubs are already mostly CTF, so what's the point promoting other modes? For me personally it's taken me 6 months to get clanned in UrT because when I started most competition was Bomb and I din't want to play it. Now there are CTF comps in the offing I figure now's the time to get clanned. I wouldn't play a mode I don't like just for the sake of it, and I doubt anyone else would either.

#10 User is offline   wraith4.x (old) Icon

• Urban Soul
  • Locationthe depths

Posted 02 December 2007 - 11:22 PM

man i remember when i first started playing FPS games....from the get go i was hooked

but i have never, ever gotten that feeling of wanting to quit a game.....o ya, the intimidation factor is there at times when you first try a new game, but it keeps the fight in me going.....it leaves me forseeing the future and trying to picture myself being as good as "the best" players in any game....then it becomes an addiction....especially for Urban Terror....the only reason i ever stopped playing any game is cause i always found one better..

it's like that in ANY FPS game though really....you have to want to get better and if you don't and you want to quit then the way i see it is that those ppl shouldn't be playing FPS games then, period :roll:

it's all about fighting....i mean if you don't have some idea what you're in for then forget it.....if you're a true FPS gamer then you won't quit :wink:

and if you're not, then go play Pac-Man.. :-P

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942