• +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

The need for bomb mode!

#11 User is offline   AKGRIZZLY (old) Icon

• LocationAlaska

Posted 02 December 2007 - 11:29 PM

I don't care much for competition or 'serious gaming', but I am completely picking up what headshot is putting down here.  I don't think he's out to do anything but good by swinging some BD resources into bomb mode.  It's not penalizing anything man.  He's doing the best thing an established clan could do for the game by filling a need.

I think people need to go back and look at his original post, and carefully consider his point about leet movement, and it's effect on new players, and his point about bomb forcing a leet mover to sit still for a second.  Sure you can cross a map in 5 seconds and that is sweet!  You STILL have to sit for a second in order to plant, that's why it's better to play bomb in UrT than other games.  You get to keep the awesome BOING movement that IS Urban Terror, and then leetboy XYZ has to park his ARSE on a bomb site to plant, it's a fine point but I think it's important to consider that when taking in his comparison to the CTF action VS. Bomb and the current mix/ratio of LEET:NOOB.

I've been contemplating a CTF server because it's my fave totally.  I fkn flip when I'm playing flag.  I stress, I yell, cuss, sweat, and it's just the gametype that totally pulls me into the game.  I get sore all over if I play for long from sheer tension.  I strafe, bunny, wallhop, and I love five second caps on superman and coming around for another, HQ, Garage, Hotel, cap cap cap.  It's totally sweet.  I'm so into it, I had to quit playing it because I'm not in a position to play on that level 99% of the time.  I always have too much going on at one time.  I can actually play TDM and work at the same time, I just have to be on the phone.  I could never play CTF like that, I just couldn't stand the agony.  Lately, a round of flag is an exercise in frustration with the nub blockers and people who won't go get our flag back, GRR.  :x  So I'm really hesitant to actually commit to a hosted CTF server, especially given the number of servers available at a given time.  TS never even turned my head, TS is for paintball.

I think bomb is an awesome gametype, I think it's underplayed by an obscene margin.  If BD puts some low pinging bomb servers up, and  gets a regular game of bomb going, I'm totally into it.

#12 User is offline   wastedscal (old) Icon

Posted 02 December 2007 - 11:57 PM

I would suggest you to contact league admins (ClanBase/STA/etc) to ask them to make a "low level" ladder where new clan can start competition vs other new clans rather than asking such request here.
Not sure how those league site would manage which clan is "new" and which one can jump into the "normal" ladders though.

#13 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 02 December 2007 - 11:59 PM

ok more thought on it, you cripple trickjumping, what do you have, a true combat, a counter strike wannabe? I'm seriously considering going into counter strike when i'm getting bored of seeing trickjumping myself. so yes, i understand the whole point because periodically similar thoughts come to me but it's also synonymous to not having urt anymore and not seeing a point in not moving to another tactical fps with more money in it.

plus, all these additions/future of the game discussions are probably futile since the team has said aren't going to be updating much anyway.

perhaps it's time to, you know, move on as oswald said.

#14 User is offline   {C9}Wolverine (old) Icon

• LocationWashington State, USA

Posted 03 December 2007 - 12:14 AM

Don't get me wrong. I like bomb mode myself but....

it has become obvious to me that the strafe jumping is ruining the ctf gametype.

I've never really been a fan of wall jumping or high speed strafe jumping

It appears you are already biased against wall jumping and strafe jumping. I don't think its ruining CTF at all. While I have been playing off and on for 7 years I'm not at all upset at those who are skilled at this. I'm only fair to middling myself and what I do know and the tricks I do use I learned by playing on pubs, not on deserted servers. And even then I'm not that great but I try. When I see someone like Civil, I spec to learn the moves and then try them myself in game on populated servers. I also got tips from a buddy of mine Straycat on a few moves and also taught myself a few.

As myself, most -=BD=- members spend their spare time actually playing the game, rather than learning all the tricks.

That's all I do too is play. I don't go to jump servers or spend time on my own local machine trying them out. I try them while actually playing the game.

If you are going to go bomb, good for you, I'm always looking for bomb servers with people playing. TDM is my favorite gametype, CTF second, and bomb 3rd.

#15 User is offline   Longbeachbean Icon

•   community admin   

Posted 03 December 2007 - 12:22 AM

I would suggest you to contact league admins (ClanBase/STA/etc) to ask them to make a "low level" ladder where new clan can start competition vs other new clans rather than asking such request here.
Not sure how those league site would manage which clan is "new" and which one can jump into the "normal" ladders though.

The community isn't that big. I'm sure its easy to figure out. maybe a week or two of scheduled scrimmages for those wishing to be considered for a lower ladder. If not, straight for the normal.

In amateur pool tournaments they usually watch your first few matches to assess your skill level and assign it a number, say 1-6. 1) being best, 3) even, 4)1ball handicap 5)2 ball handicap and so on. but yeah i think your suggestion of contacting the leagues admins to accommodate new and progressing clans at a equally competitive level wouldn't be a bad idea. 

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   wadeski (old) Icon

• LocationUK

Posted 03 December 2007 - 12:22 AM

Form a clan and play some of the current clans in competitions and then tell me what you think.

CTF is a great gametype and fun as hell in the pubs, but new clans won't stand a chance against the veteran clans in CTF.

umm....isnt that blindingly obvious? games where you can pick up and beat a master are called games of chance. Its why we dont have a popular world coin-flipping championship, where heads beats tails.

If 11 of my friends started a football team, we probably wouldnt beat Manchester United, either.

dont start the "nerf everything" requests again...that was what all the people who wanted to change the game into Rainbow Six did back in beta 2, and it completely screwed the game up.

#17 User is offline   Juno Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: juno
  • Main tag: ~SG~

Posted 03 December 2007 - 12:44 AM

CTF is a great gametype and fun as hell in the pubs, but new clans won't stand a chance against the veteran clans in CTF. That could be opinion or fact, based on experience from competing for years in urt. I've seen many clans form and quit after being beaten severely by veteran clans.

Man.
as i started playing UrT scene was much bigger.
I was happy i survived 1 round. Frag was my dream.
So if u want to be good just play, train, look as best playing (TS mostly as haunted view).
Now game is even easier than i.e. 3.7. So treat it as challenge..and be happy there is a game in the world which demands from U constant progress in learning. U can buy all this MTVgen shit where all is easy and even u dont need to read to play.
Be happy.
U can play so many games which have cute graphic and cool guns, awards, stats,, medals etc.
UrT is tough FPS for smart guys who want something else than BigMac.
Regards.

#18 User is offline   hannibal_lagtor (old) Icon

• Locationthe netherlands

Posted 03 December 2007 - 12:45 AM

1. The new .eu ctf league will have 3 divisions. Some new and inexperienced clans subscribed so there will hopefully be nice matches for everyone.

2. I started a clan somewhere in the summer, and back then I didn't look so much for skill when recruiting. You wouldn't believe how quick some of the new recruits have mastered some "tricks" of ctf.

3. We joined the fun league when it started, and even though I thought most of our members could compete with members of some of the other clans we got our asses kicked quite bad. But this had hardly anyting to do with speed/trickjumping. CTF is all about timing and strategy, so you might want to try and get that right before complaining about trickjumping.

#19 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 03 December 2007 - 01:02 AM

CTF is all about timing and strategy, so you might want to try and get that right before complaining about trickjumping.

Truth be told, it's extremely important in certain maps. Uptown, superman etc. Though, ok, they aren't common.

#20 User is offline   AKGRIZZLY (old) Icon

• LocationAlaska

Posted 03 December 2007 - 02:35 AM

I still have the urge to re-iterate headshots point.  I don't think he ever actually requested a nerfing of anything.  I think he's right on in that bomb mode could be a lot more than it is. If BD clan decides to give bomb a shot in the arm, I think that's a net gain for everyone.  Especially people like me who don't even want to flip a server over to bomb because you spend all day teaching ppl to arm/plant or disarm and usually it just degenerates into death match.

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942