Advertisement
  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Debian package Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Deo Favente (old) Icon

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:04 AM

Iv'e already sent woekele on this but i'd figure i'd tell everyone else. There are already Urban Terror RPMs but what about a debian package? Map packs in deb format would be nice too. Debian, having 45 children distros i can name and having been around for 15 years (almost) and being a overall solid linux distro needs to be given as much attention as Red Hat, which has a little over 57 children distros and 14 years old. I'm good at making debian packages, having ubuntu - a user friendly debian child distro - on my computer. I would like to see Urban Terror on debian package repositories. What does everyone think? Debian Package?

#2 User is offline   xplicit360 (old) Icon

• LocationTexas

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:39 AM

I'm all in for it. Deb's make everything better. Personally, I hate RPM's, they're too much of a hassle to work with.

#3 User is offline   Deo Favente (old) Icon

Posted 21 February 2008 - 03:21 AM

debian packages are alot better. debian packages are alot more clean and organized and strict. no wonder why there are so many different formats for red hat distros - they all agree that rpms need to be replaced. and don't get me started with RPM hell - i get to laugh at my computer science teacher in the face all the time. I catch him in level 5 hell alot.

Anyway...
Ok so i made a simple test deb package for Urban Terror. But i need to know these things before i make any kind of final:
> Absolute location i can put urban terror. /usr/local/games/something...
> "                                                  " maps /usr/local/games/something...

Edit 5: i decided not to penta-post but instead edit my last message
My test installs Urban Terror into /usr/local/games/Urban Terror/
and my map packs will install into /usr/local/games/Urban terror/q3ut4/
does this work?

I wish everyone could know how easy it is to make a simple debian package.

Edit 7:
I'm hoping to see Urban Terror listed on Debian in Lenning and hopefully on Ubuntu in Hardy Heron if possible, if not then Intrepid Ibex.

#4 User is offline   Flash (old) Icon

• LocationShanghai, China

Posted 21 February 2008 - 01:35 PM

I could give a picture of bunny on this on  :?
What are you talking about and, er...what is debian?

Sorry for my poor knowledge.

#5 User is offline   Flash (old) Icon

• LocationShanghai, China

Posted 21 February 2008 - 01:38 PM

My friend, wiki (a little yellow flying monkey), told me that it's a linux operating system. That explain that, my geek level is limited to scifi movie and series.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Deo Favente (old) Icon

Posted 21 February 2008 - 11:17 PM

Little flying monkey? Nice
Debian is a major Linux distro, which is the parent distro to Ubuntu, another great linux distro that has gained lots of users.

#7 User is offline   Nexu Icon

•   clan leader   
  • Account: nexu
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:30 AM

<3 illogical

#8 User is offline   Deo Favente (old) Icon

Posted 26 February 2008 - 01:47 AM

Ok so here is a final version of the Debian package. Sorry it took so long i was busy studying for my midterm. Both in the literal sense and the implied (study *cough* play games *cough* with friends). This Debian package installs two things:
  • installs Urban Terror into /usr/local/games/UrbanTerror/ with the same files as the official distribution
  • adds client and server icons into the menu applications/games

This pacakge will install in any debian system but my repository will only work for some debian systems.

I want to make map packs too but i believe i need to get permission from authors but i planned ahead and decided what map packs i was going to make and decided what maps to include in the map packs.

Download Debian package from my http server or download from my apt repository which i will provide the deb line for in a later post or edit.
HTTP DOWNLOAD: http://h4x0rz.servehttp.com/debian/urban-terror.deb

Here is the revision history, the current revision is 4:
  • 1) Fri Feb 22: Made simple debian package. Installs contents of official distribution into /usr/local/games/UrbanTerror/
  • 2) Sat Feb 23: Added script to fix permissions problem. Package no longer a simple debian package.
  • 3) Sun Feb 24: Removed urban terror mac and windows files from package. Called DEBIAN for a reason.
  • 4) Mon Feb 25: Day of midterm. Added applications menu items for client and server. Thought of adding urt icon to icon dir but decided not to.

If woekele replies back to my message then i can improve this package. Any problems would be nice too. I was also thinking of making a tutorial on how to make a simple debian package because it's so incredibly easy - to make a debian package - i suck at tuts.

EDIT: so that's why i was having problems adding it to my apt repository silly me! I orignally named the file "Urban Terror.deb" - even tho it's package name "urban-terror" was fine the repostiory still adds it to the pool according to the file name and the pool obviously has the same rules as the package name so i renamed it to "urban-terror.deb" to resemble the package name and i updated the link.

EDIT 2: Added the debian line to my debian repository in my post.

EDIT 3: D/Ling and installing urban terror from my apt repostiorie would have only worked on a few computers for some odd reason so I removed the link. I will repost it when my repository stops farting at me and allows more ppl to D/L it.

#9 User is offline   user@ubuntu (old) Icon

Posted 26 February 2008 - 04:31 AM

Excellent job, this has been discussed a few times.

It would obviously ideal to have this in the official repos wouldnt it ;-)

#10 User is offline   Deo Favente (old) Icon

Posted 26 February 2008 - 04:51 AM

The repos for Ubuntu HH are finalized so its gonna be really hard to get something in there. Let's try Ubuntu II. I'll try to get it in other game repos then too.

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942