Urban Terror Forums: iKALiZER : New audio engine (Surround sound UrbanTerror) - v0.22.00b - NewPatch - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (63 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

iKALiZER : New audio engine (Surround sound UrbanTerror) - v0.22.00b - NewPatch Rate Topic: ***** 2 Votes

#581 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:42 PM

ikalizer_replacesamples 0 or remove iqs dir.

#582 User is offline   Julo (old) Icon

Posted 12 December 2009 - 08:55 AM

hey!!

Wow big effort you put into this! :)

When I try to switch to channelmode 61, UrT crashes??

With mitsubishi's build it does work, but almost all sounds are concentrated on the center speaker and they sound terrible.
Also, enemy gunfire is almost not hearable!?!

#583 User is offline   Genesis Icon

• Account: genesis
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 12 December 2009 - 10:12 AM

I believe BK meant testing 10 bots + vanilla urt VS. 10 bots + ikalizer

have a control and then test vs. it
17:32 slackin • i fire blanks

View PostBladeKiller, on 05 December 2011 - 10:46 PM, said:

There is no funstuff in HD.

#584 User is offline   Hoody Icon

• Account: hoody
  • Main tag: pnk|

Posted 13 December 2009 - 10:47 AM

I'm using ikalizer. If I put the replacement sound files in app data/quake3/q3ut4 they dont work. If I put them in my regular q3ut4 folder in program files, they do work.

In game the replacement sounds sound great, but all the non-replaced sounds (i.e. breathing and footsteps) sound very muffled and low in the mix. Is this normal, or do I need to tweak something?

CHeers

#585 User is offline   MerkyMerc Icon

•   verified donor   
  • Account: merkymerc

Posted 13 December 2009 - 05:36 PM

I love some of the replaced sounds, I know it's all in my head, but for some reason I feel I spam way less with the different sounds. I have the same issue as Hoody, though. The other sounds in the game aren't loud enough compared to the gunshots etc.

This post has been edited by Merky: 13 December 2009 - 05:36 PM

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#586 User is offline   Hoody Icon

Posted 13 December 2009 - 07:14 PM

View PostMerky, on 13 December 2009 - 05:36 PM, said:

I love some of the replaced sounds, I know it's all in my head, but for some reason I feel I spam way less with the different sounds. I have the same issue as Hoody, though. The other sounds in the game aren't loud enough compared to the gunshots etc.

I wonder if I imported all the replacement sounds into my audio editor and reduced the gain by 25% and re-saved them if that would make it more useable? I can try it and post results. The background sounds really are far too quiet - radio broadcasts too. Another option is to replace more of the full sound set? That's not something I could do...

(re: my first problem about sample location, I got that working ok with ioq3 build)

Oh, and about the spam issue, I feel the same way. Possibly because the new sounds are very "sharp" and immediate compared with the standard sounds, so I feel I can judge my hits with more accuracy. The hit period in the DE and M4 sounds in standard UrT is blurry due to the boomy nature of the samples, but the replacement ones appear to have been compressed with a very quick attack period, providing a more satisfying feedback.

If the background sound issue could be addressed I would definitely be using the ikalizer by default.

This post has been edited by Hoody: 13 December 2009 - 07:17 PM

#587 User is offline   eatchayne (old) Icon

Posted 15 December 2009 - 09:07 AM

View PostHoody, on 13 December 2009 - 10:47 AM, said:

In game the replacement sounds sound great, but all the non-replaced sounds (i.e. breathing and footsteps) sound very muffled and low in the mix. Is this normal, or do I need to tweak something?

I'm wondering about this as well. I want to use the replacement sounds but they are extremely loud compared to the sound of walking up a ladder, bandaging, footsteps, etc. Of course it's technically realistic for grenades & gunfire to be much louder than footsteps... but this makes it difficult to hear everything that is going on without going deaf.

Any suggestions? I'll be using the default sounds for now...

Thanks for iKALiZER though btw!! Great work!

This post has been edited by eatchayne: 15 December 2009 - 09:07 AM

#588 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:21 PM

by the way, this might be obvious to some, but you can just delete wav files in the iqs/ directory and keep only those you need. e.g. I'm thinking of only keeping nades - cause they sound brilliant (it actually reminds me how big fire crackers/explosives really sound if you're close to them)- but I'll probably keep them all for now.

#589 User is offline   Hoody Icon

Posted 21 December 2009 - 06:20 AM

iKALiZER problem:

when I type \ika [tab] to get a list of all my ikalizer variables, it gives the short versions (i.e. ika_RS) and the long versions (i.e. ikaliser_ReplaceSamples).

Sometimes the values are contradictory. e.g.:

ika_CM 0x021
ikalizer_ChannelMode 0x0

or

ika_LL 2
ika_LimiterLevel 0

How do I know which value is actually in effect?

MORE ISSUES

I change my cfg to ika_CM 0x21 from 0x20
I restart
The change has not taken effect
I restart again
I restart again
Finally it takes effect

SO I decide there must be a conflict somewhere:

I resintalled UrT and removed all cfgs and all other files form programfiles/urt/q3ut4 except the zpak assets. I put the correct ikalizer and ioq3 files into the urt folder where the standard iourbanterror exe is.

I put my basic autoexec and the iqs into the appdata/quake3/q3ut4 folder, where they should be.

Tried the above again, still doesn't work. I need to restart ioq3 several times before it reads my cfg ikalizer changes. I wonder if ioq3 is successfully execing my autoexec everytime?

Also, even after reseting my installation - I still ahve the problem whereby /name in the menu screen will not result in a changed name in game, it always reverts to my .cfg /name (pnk}Hoody) and I have to /name in the game to change my name.

XP sp3

This post has been edited by Hoody: 21 December 2009 - 07:36 AM

#590 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 23 December 2009 - 01:07 AM

edit: OK I have pin-pointed the reason of rendering hangs on radio calls; it's the game not pre-registering them - it pre-reads many other sounds - and only registering them for the first time when they are first heard.

a hideous hack included in the .exe of my sig avoids this behavior (by forcing registration of audio .wavs on start) but I suppose it should be better suited to be done properly by game code.

this turns out that it is not ikalizer-specific but game-wide.

This post has been edited by mitsubishi: 12 January 2010 - 12:07 AM

• (63 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942