Urban Terror Forums: iKALiZER : New audio engine (Surround sound UrbanTerror) - v0.22.00b - NewPatch - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (63 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

iKALiZER : New audio engine (Surround sound UrbanTerror) - v0.22.00b - NewPatch Rate Topic: ***** 2 Votes

#611 User is offline   CRIMENY Icon

•   verified donor   
  • Account: crimeny
  • Main tag: /eVo/

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:38 PM

View Postmitsubishi, on 16 March 2010 - 08:23 PM, said:

Is it really good? Initially I found it more chaotic; informationally-wise.

Unless you mean strictly aesthetically; it might be better in that clearly.

For locating player positions and distances, it's tops for me. In places such as the Abbey blue flag area, I'd say 9/10 times (or better) that I know what height the player is (upper or lower) and usually almost exactly where they are...and it doesn't matter if I'm above/below the flag, Z-hall, the short walkway, or in the middle room.

0x25 is amazing for timing in TeamSurvivor too. If already I know their location, I can guess when they'll appear around a corner. Even if they're walking/crouching, I pretend I can see them continuing their walk after their breathing stops and know when to start backing up; I can listen if their strafe-jumping on Algiers is covering lots of ground and where they're probably going so I can plan ahead to sneak around.

I've started playing Bad Company 2 and the positional audio on that current-generation game doesn't stack up to 0x25 ikalizer in my ears. I'll be very sad if ikalizer doesn't work alongside the upcoming anticheat.
The Enemy Terrorist in Urban Territory

#612 User is offline   voidref Icon

• Account: voidref

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:29 AM

I'm a professional software developer, and have a few macs..

Anything I can do to help get this on Mac?

This post has been edited by voidref: 19 March 2010 - 12:38 AM

#613 User is offline   Haternet Icon

• Account: haternet

Posted 19 March 2010 - 04:55 AM

View PostCrimeny, on 16 March 2010 - 07:55 PM, said:

If you're using headphones, give 0x25 a whirl.

I'll do that, thanks. (Good headphones here.)

BTW, does anyone know how iKalizer compares with Creative X-Fi's CMSS-3DHeadphone feature? (Info: Wikipedia; Creative; and this, but it's Flash so I can't link it directly.) I've got an X-Fi card, but haven't used it in years because it was conflicting with something-or-other and I couldn't be bothered resolving it (besides, onboard audio is adequate for most common uses nowadays). I remember the 3D virtualization being pretty awesome, and quite convincing, but I didn't use it because I was afraid I'd lose something even as I gained 3D (I'm the type who refuses to use an EQ on my music, because I want to hear it as it was recorded). Do the two work in comparable ways? Am I an idiot for not using the X-Fi, in other games at least? :laugh:

#614 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:03 AM

Be advised that to get HRTF features from X-fi with actual audio positioning in the game you will need to use OpenAL support (not in normal Windows client released) and explicitly run with the OpenAL dll of Creative. If you use the normal support (or even with basic OpenAL support without Creative's dll), CMSS-3D will only give its own interpretation of 3D, it will not do actual positioning; it's great for music and movies but for games it's better to have an audio system (with communication between gameworld and audio) that gives positional information. [otherwise it effectively gets strictly stereo and expands it(well unless it gets more channels, which is not the case here without OpenAL or even basic OpenAL dll)].

edit: I tested a software X-fi (on an ioquake3 version of the client with OpenAL) and its Creative OpenAL dll support seemed to be buggy, it crackled sound (plus (probably due to USB) it had audio delay); it might be better on a hardware x-fi though.

It did sound pretty good though, assuming noise would not be there.

And I love its 3D expansion for movies and music.

</off topic>

btw, I tested 0x25 for while, I still find 0x21 more solid; though not sure, I'm not the most sensitive ear ever.

This post has been edited by mitsubishi: 19 March 2010 - 09:08 AM

#615 User is offline   Gnorkh Icon

• Account: gnorkh

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:44 AM

View PostHaternet, on 12 March 2010 - 03:13 AM, said:

; my problem with it is what I call the "Counter-Strike effect": sounds to either side sound like they're much farther away than they are. This is how CS1.x always sounded to me, and I never could stand it. Aside from that, though, it sounds amazing. I'd use it if it weren't for that one issue. (Anyone know a fix?)

This annoys me too, and unfortunately OpenAL has the same problem. The level difference between near sounds and far away sounds is too drastic there. So if you adjust your volume to a level where you hear far away sounds as loud as with original UrT, this results in the near sounds (e.g. bullets hitting yourself) being extremely loud.
The other way round: if you adjust the volume of the near sounds to an acceptable level, you barely hear far away sounds, which is a disadvantage in the game of course.

I've been able to run OpenAL without stuttering and it really sounds better quality-wise, but the level problem is too bad :-(

Edit: About iKalizer I also don't like that the sound is too 'phasey', I mean you hear too much how the 3D effects are made and it doesn't sound natural anymore. But as an audio engineer I'm maybe just too sensitive for phase stuff ;-)

This post has been edited by Gnorkh: 19 March 2010 - 11:52 AM

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#616 User is offline   Haternet Icon

Posted 20 March 2010 - 12:28 AM

I understand what you mean, Gnorkh, and it does sound annoying. But what I meant was slightly different: suppose a player to your left is reloading, while standing close enough to knife you; in CS1.x, and in UrT+iKalizer, their reload sound will appear (to me, anyway) to be coming from several feet/yards/meters away -- irrespective of the volume of the sound, which may remain perfectly normal (as loud as expected for a player standing right next to you). It's a bit hard to explain, but I hope I've managed. The origins of the sound appear misplaced, in other words. But only when originating from either side.

Needless to say, this is hardly a benefit, but more of a hindrance to playing. I'd love to get the benefits others speak of, where iKalizer serves as a practical wallhack! :laugh:

This post has been edited by Haternet: 20 March 2010 - 12:30 AM

#617 User is offline   Gnorkh Icon

• Account: gnorkh

Posted 20 March 2010 - 01:55 PM

View PostHaternet, on 20 March 2010 - 12:28 AM, said:

It's a bit hard to explain, but I hope I've managed.

Yeah, I understand. Maybe what you mean is the same thing as I mentioned as the other downside of iKalizer: The 3D effect is created through delays and this results in back & side sounds sounding 'roomy' / 'phasey' or how you perceive it: too far away.

#618 User is offline   Haternet Icon

Posted 20 March 2010 - 04:13 PM

That's probably it.

I'm going to keep fiddling with the cvars and see if I can find an acceptable combination. I want teh hax! :cool:

#619 User is offline   Solitary Icon

•   former FS member   
    Programmer
  • Account: solitary
  • Main tag: GlaD-

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:16 PM

Does the LFE channel not work?

#620 User is offline   christophed13 Icon

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:41 PM

I'd like to know your opinion about the couple's Urban Terror 4.1 / iKALiZER
1 - What do you like ?
2 - What do you dislike ?
3 - What do you want as new features ?
4 - Why do you use iKALiZER or why you don't use it ?

Thanks for your help.

• (63 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942