Urban Terror Forums: The Golden era! 2000-2002 (From a European perspective) - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Golden era! 2000-2002 (From a European perspective) Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Chrille (old) Icon

Posted 19 June 2008 - 07:23 PM

What do you mean it's too late though? There are more ppl playing now than ever. Up to 1500 on line at a time. I don't remember ever seeing it that high before. Also there was more spread on the weapons back then and major hit bugs. Nostalgia is a wonderful thing. lol I think it was the fact that there were no other realism based shooters back then and Q3 was huge that makes ppl remember 2.0 so fondly. Have you played it lately? You should get it and put up a server. You might have fun. It won't run on io though so you'll need Q3.

If u would read the whole thing u would see i wrote it was the most solid beta...(I forgot most though) Its really the best beta. And yes to late? Q3 is like 10years old and IO use mostly the same engine? Dont u think its a little late?. I mean ppl who wanna try a new game want to have the nicest gfx and up to date engie, thats why I switched from AQ2 to q3ut, So its not easy to recruit new and skilled players like it was before. Thats why its to late. And as I said u done great work with it, this was not to diss SID.
I also said there were many bugs :) And the betas before this, spread was much higher. (I can add I only tried b3.x sometimes so dont know what changed later.
As for ppl playing. I only play ts and I know there are many ctf servers. And I dont know how it is in the usa but in eu you have like 4 servers 2 choose from: vectra.pl Best server with skilled ppl. But its annoying since its in .pl and routing to that country sox. Then u have some .it and .pt servers same with routing there. And the Batt server full with noobs, u can run around with pistol and be top of the board and then ofc u'll get accused of cheating.
So thats the difference. If u dont want to get kicked there are only like 2 servers, back in this time there were many .nl .de .dk .se .fi .be .fr servers with skilled ppl on it. And u had servers with less skilled ppl on them where they could play their game :) I dont mind noobs but its annoying having to defend
why u know were they come all the time, since they dont know how to use a headset or dont have the experience to read the game and opponent.
Also like Tidus said it was mainly aimed to the competition. Today we have a 4 poule clanbase cup with inactive ladders. compared 2 a active ladder with games everyday and several leagues some minor cups, and cb cup was like 3divisions with several poules and many great clans.

I added the quote post so someone would have something to whine on. There was something wrong with the post and I tried to delete but I couldnt. So any admin feel free 2 delete it :)

I have some more players 2 add thx to ppl who remember :) but ill add em when i have some more time :)

//EDIT
I hope u understand with newer gfx I mean ppl who are new 2 fps. I myself dont care about gfx I want a smooth game.
But if I would look for a new game I would move forward in time not go backwards. And probobly lower settings in that game :)

#22 User is offline   Woekele Icon

•   former FS member   
    Public Relations
  • Account: woekele

Posted 19 June 2008 - 07:43 PM

bladekiller I have to disagree to what you are saying. 1500 is not bad but back in 2.x we had without doubt 5000-7000 players evenings.

Sorry, I'm gonna call bs on this. Gonna see if I can find some proof to back this up.

I agree with your point about CB activity though.

Edit: check http://web.archive.o.../mods.asp?id=22 . Highest I can find is 1000. And don't forget that is including bots.

#23 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 20 June 2008 - 05:42 AM

yeah but it had more potential then. now it's not updated anymore, it's going down.

#24 User is offline   Woekele Icon

•   former FS member   
    Public Relations
  • Account: woekele

Posted 20 June 2008 - 12:41 PM

I still see a 4.2 news post on the front page.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#26 User is offline   AKGRIZZLY (old) Icon

• LocationAlaska

Posted 20 June 2008 - 06:22 PM

I've been hearing this for 7 years now.

:lol:

Urban Terror is dead!  LONG LIVE URBAN TERROR!

#27 User is offline   downfall (old) Icon

Posted 20 June 2008 - 09:51 PM

thanks for the shout out : 2.3 was indeed the golden age...4.1 is better, but imo the engine has grown too old to attract much new attention, i'm still fragging though (only pub nowadays, after playing in several clans), because my comp does fine with the q3 engine, not so with newer engines and i still kinda pwn ;)

respect

(*aBl*)DownFall

#28 User is offline   žalost (old) Icon

• vivisectionist
  • Locationseahorse seahell

Posted 20 June 2008 - 10:01 PM

engine too old... pff whatever...

I see nexuiz, a game based on the darkplaces engine, which is really REALLY old, do things that sometimes are prettier than urt, or tce, (hdr, realistic-realtime reflections, etc..)

#29 User is offline   TheSaint (old) Icon

Posted 23 June 2008 - 05:47 PM

Played for TLOG and ]$[ and not even a bloody mention! :P

#30 User is offline   [*]Silas (old) Icon

Posted 07 January 2009 - 05:15 PM

doh!

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942