• +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hit Detection Explained Rate Topic: -----

#91 User is offline   Dahood (old) Icon

• LocationRixheim, Mulhouse bordel !

Posted 25 August 2006 - 10:25 AM

Mmmm, let me say, how old is now 3.7 ? As far as I remember, 2 years now, so starting from this point which is, I guess, the latest version/patch of ARIES, what did we have at this time in terms of server side and client side processors ? What were at this time, the average bandwith of all online players ?
As I remember, I had a G4/400+ATI rage 128+RTC when I started Urt, 1.28 precisely, later on, with the same machine, I got my first DSL connec just when 2.3 got released ( :-D ), today I got that dualie (see my sig), I have now more than 8 times the power I had years ago .
On the same engine (Q3 from 1999), still are problems with hitcode in 3.8, even with global power and bandwith raising .
So you're telling me that today, with all those dualcores, quad cores running around, a server side processor couldn't handle more than in 3.8 years ago (and today) ? Is that The Excuse for the hitcode ? The power of the machines  not able to manage bullets during so long time ?

You all know Moore's law, so that kind of explanation could not live very long .

#92 User is offline   Hybridesque (old) Icon

• LocationBradford, UK

Posted 25 August 2006 - 10:46 AM

How much of that power/resources is sucked up by other applications?

#93 User is offline   Dahood (old) Icon

Posted 25 August 2006 - 01:35 PM

I can understand what do you mean hybridesque, again I'm on a mac so maybe that progress is not the same on a PC, but in my opinion, win and mac os are going the same, progress wise . So talking about me, I have not so much more processes running background, compared to some years ago, especially comparing OS9 vs OSX . I guess modern systems loads more processor, but it is quite a ridiculous amount, especially speaking about nix systems .

To be clearer, I think the case of Q3/URT is quite a very good exemple to see technical progress, as, expcept Urt code, the engine did not change .
So comparing the game versions is very easy, and comparing the progress, differences are much more "flagrant" (can't translate) .
That's why I'm wondering, IF the power consuming of rendering each bullets was so hard at this time, 2004, and now we have, let's say doubled the general power of the machines, is it not a good reason to try it now ? If not, I would say it is not a question of power, or I might forget something .

#94 User is offline   heptadragon (old) Icon

• LocationThe City of Five Smells, IA

Posted 25 August 2006 - 04:41 PM

It could be that as technology has progressed so much it's actually outstripping the Q3 engine.  I'm just guessing here, of course, but I've actually had more problems since getting my new computer than when I had my Barton 3200+ with 1GB of value RAM.  (I now have an AMD X2 3800+ OCed to 2.6Ghz with 2GB of high-performance RAM)  I actually had to install Q3 on a friend's computer and copy it to my computer over a LAN because the Q3 setup refused to install on my XP x64 PC.  I have also had numerous freezing/crashing issues when using the latest AMD processor driver and dual-core optimizer.  (I later discovered I could run the ioQuake installer, though I ran into similar problems with the driver and optimizer so I switched back to regular Q3.)  I don't know if this is indicative of possible problems with the hit detection, but it certainly illustrates that the new, powerful technology isn't always fully compatible with older software.

#95 User is offline   Dahood (old) Icon

Posted 26 August 2006 - 04:46 PM

I think so, not knowing really how it works on PCs, that it is , more an application problem, 32vs64bit compatibility . There it is a special case heptadragon . I don't know enough your systems, can't tell more. Maybe there no Q3 engine for 64bits proc and compatibility mode doesn't work properly .

Lets say generally I'm talking about same platforms, the actual standard, x86/32bits comps . In this case which covers most of all comps in the world, general power has increased a lot, client and server side .

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#96 User is offline   ne0dym Icon

•   former FS member   
  • Account: ne0dym
  • Main tag: &one`

Posted 27 June 2015 - 05:01 PM

Hi guys,

I know this is a long lost topic, but I would like to revisit the matter and get some information about the current 4.2 and upcoming 4.3 versions of UrbanTerror. Have you ever implemented a tickrate to the servers and is it customizable for serveradmins? I recently started playing all weapons again, after years of SR8 only and it appears to me that there is a lot of bulletdrop compared to CounterStrike GlobalOffensive.
In the first post RaideR mentioned that a high tickrate would cause servers to struggle, since its high CPU load and massive amounts of calculations that would be required to keep track of every single bullet, but times have changed since 2006. We have better servers for less money available.

So yeah, a quick update on where we stand would be appreciated! :)

#97 User is offline   Fragtag Icon

• Account: fragtag

Posted 04 July 2015 - 04:15 AM

I would be careful mentioning that game here ne0 because it sometimes can get you into trouble, especially comparing urban terror towerd that game...

#98 User is offline   BRAVO Icon

• Account: bravo

Posted 15 August 2015 - 05:01 PM

Hi, i know this is an old post but i foundnd this to be very interesting and i didn't know it, i would like to ask RaideR how does Lag affect hit detection (because it's clear for me it does).

I think playing with high ping is a serious disadvantage, it always seems your bullets didn't hit when they do after a delay, and sometimes happens they didn't even hit when they should have. But, i'v found many players who spend their whole time blaming the high-pinger for all their misses, even when the high-pinger was not implicated in the shotting. So.., does a high pinger ruin in any way hits for other players?, could be playing with high ping any kind of advantage like some players pretend to say?.
GUNS DON'T KILL PEOPLE

I KILL PEOPLE

#100 User is offline   Critofur Icon

• Account: critofur

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:28 PM

View PostBRAVO, on 15 August 2015 - 05:01 PM, said:

I think playing with high ping is a serious disadvantage, it always seems your bullets didn't hit when they do after a delay, and sometimes happens they didn't even hit when they should have. But, i'v found many players who spend their whole time blaming the high-pinger for all their misses, even when the high-pinger was not implicated in the shotting. So.., does a high pinger ruin in any way hits for other players?, could be playing with high ping any kind of advantage like some players pretend to say?.

Sometimes it's so bad [to play vs a high pinger], that it's almost like cheating, to play w/a ping over 150. Not always, sometimes the high ping is still a disadvantage (as it should be!!!). It feels like more of a problem when the server has a lot of these high ping players on it (or, just a lot of players, it just feels like this game doesn't WORK properly on most servers, with more than about 6 players per side).

What's particularly bad, is high ping players moving side to side, it's like a glitch/exploit and they can avoid so many hits that they should have been taking - it can make you feel like you're shooting "ghost bullets" that have no affect.

When /SNAPS was briefly unlocked, and I could play at /SNAPS 60, ALL my hit detection problems were solved, it was like a miracle, the game play became so wonderful, I was in UrT Heaven. But then, it all came crashing down and the dream life ended, now we are forced back into the Hell that is /SNAPS 20 as the devs decided to re-lock the setting.

One thing for sure over the years - the hit detection for me, has been very inconsistent, across all versions of the game - in both 3.x and 4.x versions I've had some times where my hits were SO GOOD that it felt like I was cheating - I easily cut through 7 - 8 players in a row before being killed myself on some days, I felt like some kind of Demigod. It was not my skill, or the skill of my enemies going up or down, it was performance of the game/hits/netcode - for whatever reason, I wish so badly, that I could analyze complete what is behind when the game works well or does not.

Previous to 4.x there were some issues that do seem to have been resolved - there used to be this one player I saw all the time on Pub CTF servers named PoH. PoH was almost "hit proof" for me most of the time I played him. But, once 4.x came out, his magic power to avoid hits was GONE, and now I found him to be easy to beat, consistently. The lost of this almost magical hit-proof ability must have been discouraging - I presume that is why he quit from Urban Terror and I haven't seen him in years and years now.

This post has been edited by Critofur: 25 January 2020 - 09:29 PM

• (11 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942