Urban Terror Forums: Need help on what ports/packet type UrT/Q3 uses! - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Need help on what ports/packet type UrT/Q3 uses! Rate Topic: -----

#1 Guest_C-X

Posted 06 April 2004 - 07:52 PM

hello fellow terrorists,

i need some help. im at university, and on a pretty fast ethernet network. unfortunately, my connection for bandwith intensive games has been pretty shitty: 500-1600ping with crazy packetloss. i resigned myself that the connection was just horrible, but today i decided to call the computing services guy, and he said he could help make the connection playable.

he told me that the bad connection for bandwith intensive applications was due to the "packet-shaping" restrictions. i don't know what that means, so if anyone can explain please do.

he said that in order to fix the connection he need to know what are all of the ports the game that i'm playing uses. i looked in the Q3 documentation, but couldnt find an answer to this. does he just mean what port the server im connecting to is on? can anyone help me out with what ports q3ut uses? also he needs to know if q3ut usus UPD or TCP protocol. anyone know that information?

thanks in advance to anyone who is able to answer these questions, as i'm an urban terror addict, and i hate going for months at a time with no UrT! help a brother out!

.:blam:.(C-X)

#2 User is offline   sixtyVolts (old) Icon

Posted 06 April 2004 - 09:07 PM

I believe the default port number is 27960. I could be wrong, as this is only coming from memory. Can anyone confirm this?

#3 User is offline   HoboHumpinSlut (old) Icon

Posted 06 April 2004 - 09:29 PM

yep, 27960 udp is default, not only for server but also for client. you can force q3 to take another port tho.

#4 Guest_C-X

Posted 06 April 2004 - 09:56 PM

so the port range is the server's port. that means about 27000-27999 would cover pretty much all servers.

so then its UDP and not TCP for sure?

thanks again, guys

C-X

#5 User is offline   Aarsbuds0r (old) Icon

• LocationNetherlands, The

Posted 06 April 2004 - 10:05 PM

Its definately UDP...

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 Guest_C-X

Posted 06 April 2004 - 11:00 PM

thanks a lot gents! hopefully i'll be fraggin with you again soon!

:D

C-X

#7 User is offline   audioaxes (old) Icon

Posted 06 April 2004 - 11:41 PM

is there some way to change from udp and tcp? [i believe udp packets is what makes playing from my apartment-university network unplayable]

#8 User is offline   HoboHumpinSlut (old) Icon

Posted 06 April 2004 - 11:53 PM

tunnel it through tcp ;)
ull need a computer outside tho

#9 Guest_Neco

Posted 07 April 2004 - 12:19 AM

is there some way to change from udp and tcp? [i believe udp packets is what makes playing from my apartment-university network unplayable]

That's not really possible unless they prioritise tcp over udp, udp has much less overhead (no ACK's) than tcp.
Altho, they probably have some pretty nazi rules, like unless they "know" of a specific kind of trafic, it gets bundled with everything else, and sharing a small pipe.... that is what I would do anyway, cool sysadmin tho, not that many schools that condone playing games ;)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.urbanterror.info/members/donate/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942