Login | Register 
Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Wifi interferance? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   HighwayStar (old) Icon

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:30 PM

My Netgear smart wizard and windows both tell me that my connection to my router is very good/excellent and I have no trouble web browsing.

However, during online gaming I notice that every 1 or 2 minutes my wifi connection will completely cut out. It only cuts out for a split second, but this causes my ping to rise steeply and then take a couple of seconds to fall back to normal. Although the connection is only lost for a split second, it can mean I get killed in because I lose control of my character. In battlefield 2 than can be the difference between crashing my jet or not :x. I notice in UrT that the netgraph gets a big black wave in it when the connection cuts out.

I can't understand what is causing it and wanted to know if any of you have experienced the same or know of a solution.

P.S. I'm using Vista Home Premium, a Netgear WG111v3 USB wifi adapter, and a Netgear DG834G wireless router.

#2 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:54 PM

Get this excellent scanner http://www.metageek....oducts/inssider (for windows) and scan for interfering other routers. If you do, try to get a different channel on your router that does not interfere with any other channel band or at least interferes a little. Here's how it should be on non-interfering channels: http://picasaweb.goo...037239250582594 e.g. 1 and 6 do not interfere at all but only 'just'. 2 and 6 would interfere a little but it's better than having 6 and 6 or 5 and 6 together.

#3 User is offline   HighwayStar (old) Icon

Posted 11 March 2009 - 12:06 AM

The strangest thing is that the interference doesn't affect signal strength apart from at those regular intervals where my connection drops. So it's like either my router/adapter is refreshing every one minute, or a device is sending out pulses of interferance. I assumed interferece would be continuous, rather than happening as a regular pulse.

#4 User is offline   HighwayStar (old) Icon

Posted 20 March 2009 - 11:38 AM

AHAHAHA, I've fixed it. Once I looked for 'wifi lag spikes' I found the solution. It's Windows WLAN Autoconfig and Windows Wireless Zero. They make a scan for new wifi networks every 60 seconds and that gives me the lag spike.

http://www.hardforum...723&postcount=1

This link gave me a guide on how to disable it and make a handy toggle shortcut for it too.

#5 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:36 PM

They make a scan for new wifi networks every 60 seconds and that gives me the lag spike.

it's such noob things microsoft does that pisses me off.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   HighwayStar (old) Icon

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:51 PM

Yeh, a really obscure feature that I didn't know about. I'm just glad it wasn't hardware related. I couldn't stand the thought of buying new adapters/cables and router.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942