• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Mouse Lag in Ubuntu Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Spectre Icon

• Account: spectre

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:36 AM

i too had this error on my older laptop...given that i don't use it for gaming at all, i never really tried to correct it.

#12 User is offline   Jongo (old) Icon

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:00 PM

I experience OP's same issue. There is a significant delay between when I press the leftclick on my mouse and when whatever gun I'm using actually fires in-game.

Ubuntu 9.04, Logitech cordless optical mouse.

#13 User is offline    DP  (old) Icon

• LocationKaliforn-i-a

Posted 06 October 2009 - 11:44 PM

For those getting mouse lag, check your Xorg log (usually /var/log/Xorg.0.log or whatever) and find out if you're using evdev or, more likely, X11's mouse driver. evdev is snappy; X11 mouse driver is awful. If you need help installing/configuring hal & evdev, check Gentoo, Ubuntu and Archlinux forums/wikis. Also, if you're using a dist's stock kernel, you can usually just add usbhid.mousepoll=2 (for 500 polls / second, i.e. 2ms). Then check that by finding/compiling/running evhz.

#14 User is offline   Skadude Icon

• Account: skadude

Posted 07 October 2009 - 06:08 AM

if my ubuntu mouse lagged i just unplugged it and plugged it in again while booted. seems to solve everythign for me

#15 User is offline   Daedalus Icon

• Account: daedalus

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:30 AM

It could be entirely n/a, but i get a similar problem when using Xgame (which runs the game in a second x server). If i hit LMB repeatedly (knifing for instance) the mouse starts to lag as if the mouse events are FIFOed, and this does not clear with time, it gets to the point that i can move the mouse left and it moves up (for example), then i can wait (a long time), but next time i move the mouse, (right for example), it moves left. The only way to clear it is to type on the keyboard, and i'm back to normal...

Never really looked into it too deeply, it doesn't happen that often and i'm no pro ingame anyway :)

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   Rambetter Icon

•   community dev   
  • Account: rambetter

Posted 16 October 2009 - 08:31 AM

Hi. I was having a mouse problem on Ubuntu 8.04 as well; let me describe it to you:

Sporadically (and quite frequently) my mouse button presses would register "late". For example, my "move forward" bind is to press the middle mouse button (gasp! no wonder I suck so bad!) and when I was climbing ladderclimbs on jump maps, I would be unable to climb them half the time because when I'd press forward, sometimes it would grab the ledge too late and I'd fall down. It was strange because most of the time the mouse buttons would trigger on time, but about 10-20 percent of the time it would be delayed.

I turned off all the fancy bloatware that Ubuntu comes with, including the 3D desktop crap (Compiz or whatever it's called) and PuseAudio. I still had the problem.

Finally, for various reasons, which were mostly the fact that a lot of stuff JUST DOES NOT WORK VERY WELL OUT OF THE BOX on Ubuntu, I decided to try Debian instead. Most of my problems went away, including the mouse lag issue.

So, the moral of the story (for me at least) is to steer clear of Ubuntu releases that are newer than 6.06 (Dapper). They have only caused headaches for me.

Debian Lenny, on the other hand, has very few problems, and right now I can only think of two of them, and they are both quite minor (both related to audio), and only one of them affects my main workstation. If you're using Linux and want a smooth user experience, I would suggest steering clear of Ubuntu whether you're a noob or not. BTW Ubuntu is based on Debian, but it's much less polished than Debian is, because the people who maintain Debian are hardcore users who know their s*it (again, biased opinion :-) ).

#17 User is offline    DP  (old) Icon

• LocationKaliforn-i-a

Posted 17 October 2009 - 03:49 AM

View Postrambetter, on 16 October 2009 - 08:31 AM, said:

Finally, for various reasons, which were mostly the fact that a lot of stuff JUST DOES NOT WORK VERY WELL OUT OF THE BOX on Ubuntu, I decided to try Debian instead. Most of my problems went away, including the mouse lag issue.

I'd bet a good deal of that has to do w/ the version of xorg and dependent libs used by the respective distros. Part of it is probably also the "out of the box" settings. I have never used Debian except in production environments, and that was years ago, but they seem generally sane and make careful choices about compile flags and "stock" configs. Something as minor as SDL_VIDEO_X11_DGAMOUSE set to 1 (default) can completely f-ck your mouse in SDL games. Or xorg loading the xfree86-dga module (also typically a default) if you're using evdev (and who isn't?).

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942