Urban Terror Forums: Speed Mapping: Work In Progress Thread [ONE POST PER PERSON] - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Speed Mapping: Work In Progress Thread [ONE POST PER PERSON] Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   NulL Icon

•   former FS member   
    Level Designer
  • Account: null

Posted 13 June 2009 - 04:42 AM

Posting Rules:

Like last time, one post per person; use modify to add more.

I'm going for trains, I call the name ut4_railed

Day1:

Layout is 75%+ built in radiant; i want to finish the basic layout tomorrow so i can start focusing on details.

Posted Image

Day 2:

Basic layout has been completely, um, layed out. ;)  No pictures today, I'm not at all happy with the lighting yet, so nothing to show off.  I've got 2500 brushes already built though.

Day.. Um, its Wednesday morning:

Starting to add some details around the place. Most textures have normal/specular maps, some have offset maps too.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Saturday Morning

The maps pretty much done; I'm about to run a compile, if all goes well it'll be the last one. The map's assets are touching 100mb, I hope they compress down when packaged up. :D

#2 User is offline   Hayame Icon

• Account: hayame

Posted 13 June 2009 - 04:46 AM

Edit: gtk won't stop being a bitch and i can't do anything, i have to quit this and post my map up later. sorry  :-(

#3 User is offline   Muffie Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: muffie

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:07 AM

Trains ! lol

Day 1 nada cause i had to work
Day 2 some brushes layed out, had some beers and made fun of some dumbass for 2 hours
Day 3 started over lol, new layout, scale and some textures done

Comments
@Null nice man looks good, whered u get that road texture =p

#4 User is offline   Yas Icon

• Account: yas

Posted 13 June 2009 - 01:48 PM

Tracks & Trains.
ut4_trug (it doesnt really have a significant meanining for the map... maybe short for train ugly... a play on words of plain ugly?)

Day 1: Started basic layout, switched over to 1.6, relearning process.

Day 2: did a bit more on layout, moved some things around, rethought some of the original concept... annoyed that 1.6 doesnt handle some things the way i was used to in 1.5... may switch back to it tomorrow.

Day 3: switched back to 1.5, done the layout (mostly) can't compete with null's 2500 brushes :| started with the texturing, took some pictures around the area, put them on, see how they look... added most of the models i want in the map <3 br

Days 4-5: didn't do much... apart from making my worldspawn func_rotating_door... thx 2 del for reminding me about notepad hax. started testing lighting and skybox stuff... (i cant understand skybox... will annoy peoples on irc tomorrow... make yourselves scarce if you dont want me bugging you people!

Day 6: tried compiling... and it was taking over 10 hours, so i stopped it... deleted a lot from the map, made it a tiny bit smaller... now it's q3dm1 size rather than q3ctf1 size... oh dear. anyway, probably for the best, it should be a quick map now... it has a lot of things wrong with it, but that's part of the fun. 3v3 would probably be better suited. or a ffa game. anyway, here is a screenshot:
Posted Image
i'm thinking i'm just going to leave it as it is now... there is no point on me working on it anymore, i have spent about 12 hours on it. will compile and pack it tomorrow... and then upload when the time is right.

Tasks:
layout (95%)
skybox (90%)
lighting (100%)
sounds (50%)
gametype entities (95%)
textures (95%)
levlshot/minimap (100%)
location names (95%)
shader (80%)
models (95%)
surface sounds (0%)
other tasks i cant remember that i will eventually need to do (0%)

Notes: I won't be doing any special bumpyness or elaborate map features... be ready for some lo-fi map!

#5 User is offline   H3NRY Icon

• Account: h3nry
  • Main tag: .um

Posted 13 June 2009 - 02:36 PM

of course, trains.
day1: started map, computer crashed.  formatted hard drive, wrote zeros to drive with 4 passes, reinstalled windows
day 2:installing gtk, hoping it will go smoothly.    went smooth, some websites wouldnt load so i had to get all my files from random places. back to mappin.
progress...   Posted Image
6/14/09: progress with layout, cant get a skybox working yet/looking good at all places
6/15/09 : Posted Image looking good eh? ( lighting is a bit off lol)

6/18/09:  got bored while testing the lights and decided to run around, this happened.  Posted Image

6/19/09:   hit the MAX_SURFACE_VERTS error... time to figure out why...
6/20/09: fixed it adding some random details and adding to the gameplay with little items to hide behind

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   žalost (old) Icon

• vivisectionist
  • Locationseahorse seahell

Posted 14 June 2009 - 12:30 AM

Unable to finish due to my time going to work on textures for people :)

#7 User is offline   tub (old) Icon

• Locationut_abbey

Posted 14 June 2009 - 07:23 AM

Days 1-3:

So yeah, I'm doing Trains like everyone else. Hmmm... If I run the winter option again I think I'll have to prepare a texture pack or something so that people have a good starting point.

So yeah, I've spent a fair bit of time going through different layout designs. There were a few designs that I felt could almost work, but one thing or another just didn't seem to click. One of them had some really interesting tactical possibilities, and I didn't want to give it up, but the flag routes were just too unbalanced. Hopefully I'll be able to approach that one again with a fresh viewpoint sometime in the future.

Anyway I'm really happy with the design I have now. It should be fairly easy to put together and play quite well. It doesn't do too much out of the ordinary layout wise. Though there are a few aspects different from the normal urt styles.

I should be able to start laying brushes in a day or two. I just hope I find enough time to complete it to a reasonable standard. I'll be pushing hard to find enough time, so I might have to do a bit of copy + pasting of building styles from some of my previous work.

----------------
Day 5:

Decided on a name: ut4_unload

I've blocked out the layout including height variations et cetera. I'm pretty happy with how the layout has come together in the editor. Everything seems to fit pretty neatly with what looks like a good flow.

So basically I want to have everything done except for the aesthetics by the beginning of the weekend.

---------------
Day 6:

- Added train models
- Carved out indoor area.
- Mostly flattened out/fixed up the ground.
- Enclosed the map in a skybox, added a couple of spawns and made sure it didn't leak.
- Compiled an initial version!
- Did some in map running around and checking it out. I think I might need to add anindoor route to give autos enough options... Or not.. Hard to tell really

---------------
Day 7, 8:

- Added in steps where needed.
- Add ladders, and ladder entities.
- Add all the spawn points, flags, bomb sites etc.
- Tested it with bots. They weren't much help, but I got a good feeling from that.

-----------------
Day 9:

Huge, huge day today. Pretty much worked a 11 hour day to get everything done, not including breaks.

There's only a few things I'm unhappy with:
- The lighting is pretty damn horrible. I didn't get any time to work with it so it's just copied and pasted from austria. The sun could be in a much better position, colour is off, and everything's a bit saturated. Ugh.
- I need to do more ground and general lived-in-ness detailing. Some areas a pretty bland right now. Spawns and centre bottom areas mainly.
- I didn't really get much time to look at performance, so it could be pretty bad in some sections. I did some guesswork hinting so I hope that helps.
- Didn't get time to do surface sounds or the overhead map.

But for 17 hours, I think I got a hell of a lot done. It's pretty much a fully realized map and overall I'm quite happy with it. Just a matter of waiting to see if it plays as well as I hope it will. No matter how much work I do trying to get a map to flow well, it's virtually impossible to tell until you get people playing it.

https://photos-1.get...jHwE6jsLy36jjzI
https://photos-1.get...bl2oqwP_D1D1GMk

#8 User is offline   TwentySeven Icon

•   former FS member   
    Lead Engine Developer
  • Account: twentyseven

Posted 14 June 2009 - 08:35 AM

Day 4) (my day 1)  Got Rc to agree to help me.  We're abusing the q3 engine as our pet project.

He's rendered a scene off in vue and we're going to augment it with some live geometry.  It should be something special.

Built up a base scene in max, installed radiant.

Documented what you have to do to get really high poly scenes rendering in q3.

Found some bugs in both iobumpy (depth range is fixed per map now) and q3map2_bumpy ( ase models were taking FOREVER to load)

---

Q3 might be able to render it but q3map sure can't compile it.
Scaling my ambition back a bit.

---

Day 2:  Spent all day figuring out how to get 1000 odd trees on a 32k by 32k terrain working.
(actual playarea is that pit in the middle)

----

Day 3:  Adding features to the map now.  Got rc to render me some nicer tree textures and the final skybox.
The bridge is prototyped in.  The gameplay area is that detailed bit where the cursor is pointing.  To give you some idea of scale, those purple boxes are shipping containers, about 5 meters long each.

Added some transmission towers. They need their wires added and some more work on the sides so they arnt so obviously made from 2 billboards.

---
All the geometrys in now.  Placing entities and doing final lighting.

Posted Image

#9 User is offline   Delirium Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: delirium

Posted 14 June 2009 - 09:27 AM

f*cked up >.>
ill be back next time...

#10 User is offline   Fleuv Icon

• Account: fleuv
  • Main tag: f8`

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:38 PM

Restarted:

Day 1, 13 June 2009:

Making map and fixing my errors. with hulp of keres.
The House (the building) you see gets inside a coffee shop
And i'm searching for a skybox or trying to make one

This is my litlle map named: dutchstreets
Posted Image

here you something I did made today to.
street light
bar stool

Day 2, 14 June 2009:

Waiting for keres. and i have made a subway (hasn't got a train yet):
Posted Image

Make this VVV-kantoor base
Posted Image

Day 3, 14 June 2009:

Making details in my VVV-kantoor (Tourist Information Office)
Chairs, tables, rooms ..

This is wath i made in the morning (for me) with 2009 Brushes! :D
Posted Image

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942