Login | Register 
Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

UrT on a PowerBook 1.5 GHz ?? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Sperr (old) Icon

Posted 28 July 2004 - 12:41 PM

Hello! I am very close to ordering a PowerBook G4 1.5 GHz w 1 GB ram, 128 Mb ATI 9700 and 5400 rpm drive ...

Could somebody atleast give me a hint if UrT will run smoothly on that machine? Guess the native resolution 1280*854 is too high to sustain fps over 30?

Have you guys heard about radeon 9800 mobility? Wonder if Apple is planning a new line of PowerBooks soon ... What do you think?

Have a nice continue of the summer!!

#2 User is offline   fragomatic Icon

• Account: fragomatic

Posted 28 July 2004 - 08:32 PM

UrT will run great on that machine. You should expect a solid 80 fps, maybe even 90. I would double the ram if possible......thats my only suggestion.

i havnt heard anything about a 9800 in a book but i expect that it will show up.

#3 User is offline   Sperr (old) Icon

Posted 29 July 2004 - 12:07 AM

mmmmhm sounds good ... :roll:

but, but, 2 gigabytes of ram? are you serius? :shock: really? who needs all that? 64 kilobyte ought to be enough for anybody!

#4 User is offline   fragomatic Icon

Posted 29 July 2004 - 01:56 AM

You can never have enough ram!.
At minimum you should get over the 1.5 gig mark. There are huge overall system performance boosts at this mark. the next mark is 4 gig

#5 User is offline   Sperr (old) Icon

Posted 02 August 2004 - 12:48 PM

ok, 1,5 gig, that's one 512 and a one 1024... But how are the memory bus/architecture on the PB's implemented, if it's dual-channel, wouldn't i get a speed boost when using 2 identical ram-modules? 2*512 or 2*1024?

BTW, do you know of any site that deals with mac hardware from a more advanced technological aspect (xlr8 is to shallow) I always wanted to know if there is a equivalent to PC's nortbridge/ soutbridge on a mac motherboard ...

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   fragomatic Icon

Posted 03 August 2004 - 12:44 AM

[quote name='"Sperr"] Ok' date=' 1,5 gig, that's one 512 and a one 1024... But how are the memory bus/architecture on the PB's implemented, if it's dual-channel, wouldn't i get a speed boost when using 2 identical ram-modules? 2*512 or 2*1024? [/quote']

The power book has a single 167 Mhz system bus, so technically the 333DDR (PC2700) ram is only going to run at half its capable speed.
I dont see a performanace problem w/ running 1.5 gig but i could be wrong. ive seen wierd ram issues on my mac before. I would put 2 gig
in that machine for 2 reasons. 1st its the most apple says it will hold (which is never true). 2nd maybe theres a chance that it will run better w/ matching sticks.

[quote name='"Sperr"] BTW' date=' do you know of any site that deals with mac hardware from a more advanced technological aspect (xlr8 is to shallow) I always wanted to know if there is a equivalent to PC's nortbridge/ soutbridge on a mac motherboard ... [/quote']

umm. OWC (Other World Computing) is best ive seen for aftermarket goodies. I dont know of anyone that makes motherboards. Northbridge/Southbridge--- the closest thing to that would be the G5s system controller, and again i dont think theres anything aftermarket.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942